Topic

Trinity Alps. Aug 12-14 Full Moon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trinity Alps. Aug 12-14 Full Moon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Looking to get some people together for this one. Let's pick a spot and go.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Man, I'd love to go, but I'd spend more time driving than hiking, next time. Jack

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bump. I don't bite

hard.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

So nobody wants to play with me.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am still trying to figure this out Ken. I'll let you know asap.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

You would pick to do this on a full moon… when you know all I have right now is white cuben fiber tarps :-p

On a serious note… looking like I should be able to make it this weekend. Last weekend just got worse and worse the closer it got to Friday.

Just got my ZPacks Zero X-Small (1,000ci/16.4l) today!! It hit my scale at 73g (2.57 oz). I added the sternum straps (only added another ~0.3oz) which I am glad I did. I went with the black 1.26/sqyd cuben fiber rather than the standard 1.5 oz/sqyd. Think I am going to be very happy with this one! Got all of my gear into it w/o a problem. Now just to figure out how to get 5 days worth of food in/on it lol

Anyway, back to the trip… will your little VW make it to where you want to start at or should I prep my truck for the trip up there for us?

Is the plan to stop in Willow Creek for lunch on Friday, or is the plan to have lunch before we leave Eureka?

Should we plan for 6 meals for the weekend?

Not having been where you are planning to go, I have no idea of water sources up there. Should I plan to bring 3 liters of water, or can we get by with a 1 liter bottle?

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Ken,

I am in, but still conditional on hitching a ride from the bay area…anyone? anyone?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

OK So how does Boulder Creek Lakes via Canyon Creek sound to everyone? I know a fantastic spot about 5 miles in on the creek with a swimming hole and all. Nice day hike Sat. up to the lakes. Can go for Forbidden Lakes if we are feeling energetic. It's a total of 15 miles to Boulder Creek Lakes and back. Plenty of exploring. Weather will be warm and clear. Near 90 for the high with nights around 50. Supposed to be clear skies.

@ John. If you drive I'll buy gas. Have A/C in that rig? I can leave after Bien Padre Fri. morning. So lunch in Willow Creek sounds good. Plenty of water along the way.

@ James Hope you can make it.

@ Kat You now have a carpool situation available if that will help sway you ;)

Of course I am open to suggestions.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

So the plan is to meet up on Friday night then and start hiking on Sat. morning? Anyone want to make it an extra day, since I had scheduled some vacation days?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No. hike in some Fri. We'll be there early afternoon at the latest. Then up to the lakes on Sat. Back to camp Sat. night and home on Sunday.

Like we did the Morris Meadow trip. Sound OK?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yeah. I have Friday off so that'll be fine. I am just trying to convince my reluctant teen to come :0.

Trees?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

approved for hammocks!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Man…. I would totally jump on this, but I am going to be in Mineral King all this week! Be sure to take pics.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

One last bump. Any takers? Kat's looking to carpool on Fri. morning.

@James
    Ditch work on Fri.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Don't tempt me Ken!

I'm saving my days for a trip in Sept, and besides I've got a stinkin deadline Fri. afternoon.

Looks like I might miss this one…bummer.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

You guys have made this area sound great. I would love to go but have work on Friday.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Will be going to Stuart Fork again in October. I'll give a date ASAP.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Matthew,

Bummer to hear you won't be making it. Very much enjoyed hiking and talking with you on the LCT back in April.

@Ken

Are we going to need to stop somewhere and get any permits?

@All Sasquatches in NorCal,

Please do not take my truck for a joy ride while we are hiking :-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

@John. Yes we will pass right by a ranger station for a permit on 299. Very convenient.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Anyone want to carpool up there from the Bay Area on Friday morning?

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

It sounds like a great trip and I am really tempted. My last night out was at Henry Coe at the end of May and I am feeling a little cooped up.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Where do we meet, what time and best way to get there, perhaps? Looks like 3 of us will head up that way.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Are bear cans needed or merely convenient?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Only if you want. We've hung our food, or Ursack.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Canyon Creek trailhead. Directions in your guide book are very good.
    1 ish? What time do you want to leave down there?

No canisters required.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools