Topic

Gauging interest in a pack design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gauging interest in a pack design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Modularity has multiple advantages:

1. You can start with one base pack and adjust for the gear volume changes from a one night summer trip to a 5 night winter trip if designed well.

2. You make the pack what you need it to be – not more, not less. As your preference / style changes the pack can adapt. How many of us have cycled through 10 packs and still don't feel like they have the perfect one?

3. A simple interface encourages personal and open market modules to be developed. Think open source.

DM

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'm in the "ion club" :), mine is modified- small mesh pocket under the top flap- this is extremely helpful for those items you want handy

largish lycra/mesh pocket front- can hold poncho/tarp, fishing pole, others and two side pockets that can hold 1 liter bottles w/ ease

my modified ion comes in at 11.9 oz, if this had a similar feature set (and offered in multiple torso lengths) AND is lighter AND not too pricey- count me in as interested

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

so you're taking the zpacks zero and making the parts removable?

Carl Holt

@sundown

I know I'm not a regular here but I'd like to comment all the same…

Modular pack design in military applications is used all the time. The MOLLE style attachments are super useful although they are very heavy in the context of lightweight backpacking and hiking.

That being said, they are easy to switch pockets out ( I have many combinations) and all pockets fit all MOLLE style packs. Nothing specific to each brand.

So if you take a cue from this style of load carrying equipment, a modular main pack with some nice attachment points or options that allow hip belt, side bottle pockets, a padded camera pouch – you get the idea- this could be very useful.

I am building a G4 now and putting some MOLLE style attachments on it for just that reason.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks,

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools