Topic

Favorite piece of gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite piece of gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

My WM Alpinlite and Puma GWS sleeping bags.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

My Inov-8 X-Talon shoes then my Aarn pack followed by my Tarptent.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

What piece of gear is my favorite is a tough choice. Right now there are 3 items on that list. I like my T-shirt from Decathlon because it weighs next to nothing and is super cheap. I like my Fizan Compact poles because they're relatively cheap for such light poles. Plus I had to go through a lot of trouble to get them.

The winner right now is probably my knife. It's nowhere near ultralight, but I made the handle and sheath myself, so it has the most emotional value.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'll be the one to say BPL. It has shown me what's possible. Been an awesome piece of kit!

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm split between my MLD Cuben Mini Solo Tarp (for trips when weight is key and the weather is somewhat okay) and Cuben Duomid (for the times when you want total protection – and weight is still key). And carried in the Burn, of course. :-)

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

A tight tarp..humming during a nasty storm while I am dry and chillaxing beneath…

Dan Montgomery

@thedanarchist

Locale: Hampton Roads, VA

I guess you should go with your first thought, right? My Granite Gear Virga pack, for all the reasons anyone likes their pack. I was about to say it's also the piece of lightweight gear I've had the longest, but that's wrong, because I've had another fave piece of gear for something like 30 years. That's my Camping Gaz aluminum pot (or, rarely these days, pots). The GlobeTrotter stove they came with is obsolete, in the states at least, but I've take one or both pots on every trip since the late '70s or early '80s.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Humming . . . or drumming, Brent?

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Mine is my MLD TrailStar. Wish that I would have bought it sooner

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

North Face Triumph Anorak.

a beautiful example of less is more.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I'd have to say my Bushbuddy. The intricate details of its construction constantly impress me, so while I have multiple favorites I just think the Bushbuddy is really neat.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Hooded windshirt made from Epic by Wild Things. Love it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"So what if we ended up taking an alternate trail?! The car should have known~!"

Indeed, Javan. Mine does that consistently. Brings a smile to my face every time I see her — ready and waiting for me. :)

tommy d

@vinovampire

There's no question in my mind; my favorite piece of gear is my 8' by 10' camo tarp. It's the tarp that I take when my GF and I go camping. It's not as light as my solo tarp, but it's CAMO and my girlfriend likes it too. So, what's not to like??

Photobucket

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My oldest piece of gear that I have to have with me on every trip is my Sunday Afternoon Sun Hat.

I wear it in the sun, when it is cold, and when it rains.

It is worn, very faded, and the flap that covers my neck sounds like old parchment…just how I love it.

Plus, it makes me look Uber Dorky…hike your own hike dork style. :)

-Tony

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

My ULA Catalyst. Something about a backpack spells freedom for me. Just looking at it makes me yearn for the trails.

Zeno Marx

@zenomarx

Q: what is your favorite thing you own?
    A: the last thing I bought.

Columbia anorak I picked up in 1988. Some proprietary fabric that was supposed to compete with Goretex. 2nd priority only to food on hikes and outdoor outings of any sort. Still looks like the day I bought it. I'd say my backpack, but then I'd have to tell everyone what model it is. I'm looking for a backup or two, and I don't want any additional competition.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

My WM sleeping bags. I know that whatever happens, I'll have a warm night's sleep.

My Marmot Driclime jacket. Not UL, but I've been wearing it for years and it makes the cut on most trips.

Will Shewell

@wshewell

Locale: South East USA

My fav piece of gear has, is and will always be the wine bladder.

A wine bladder, when packed, lugged as extra weight, saved for the right place and night, is full of reward, presents a well received rich, tonal pleasure enjoyed in the absolute calm solitude provided from being in the middle of a beautiful wilderness nowhere.

Favorite Piece of Gear: Full Wine Bladder

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

^^^^^ two up.

AKA, bota bag.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

pain. The one that comes with effort, not injury.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

My cooking system, even if I don't always bring it:

850mL MLD mug with Caldera Tri-Ti ULC. It's perfection.

EASILY the first thing that jumped into my mind- I suspect because I'm a bit of a tinkerer. Also, I never get very emotionally attached to clothes, unlike so many others, here. I tend to get attached to things that are more durable than than.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

It's a tossup between

1. A $.97 Tyvek painter's cap from the Home Depot near me. It keeps the sun off just as well as the more expensive alternatives. I've stained it orange to let the hunters know I'm not a deer. I add a cheap hotel shower cap to it in the rain.

2. My Heetsheets emergency bivy with a full length zipper I attached myself. Unzipped, it's my ground cloth, and partially zipped it keeps the rain and snow off me under my tarp or tarptent. Fully zipped, it adds about 10 degrees to whatever sleeping bag I've brought along.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my Stetson Open Road, not really UL @ 4.1 oz, but sheds rain pretty well, cuts down the sun, breathes decently and I've had it for over 20 years with lots and lots of good memories

<

second would have to be my Houdini- truly a jack knife of garments- light, sheds light rain/snow, breathes incredibly, stops wind in it's track, insects can't penetrate it, has a hood and packs into itself to a little bigger than a pack of smokes

<

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Never fails to make me happy….

Firemug Holey Grail

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools