Topic

Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Little Light Gear : Hiking Packs for Kids

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Rod

@bespokegear

Locale: Front Range

Hi everyone,
    I had been looking for a lightweight backpack for my niece, and was unimpressed with what I was finding. Having made backpacks for quite some time now, I knew I could make something better. I thought maybe some other folks might be looking for something similar, so I created Little Light Gear.

Pictured below are the 6.5 ounce Hop Pack and the 8.5 ounce Skip pack.

Hop Pack

Skip Pack

Please take a minute to check them out over at http://www.LittleLightGear.com . We are definitely in the early stages of developing the website, so if you have any feedback, please feel free to send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
    Ron

edited to add link.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Nice looking packs there. Looks like you may have something to offer that isn't out there already.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Interesting packs.

What is the duribility of the material like say comapared to 4.2oz/yd Dyneema X Ripstop. I am looking for a kids pack and have considered a Z-Packs zero in Dyneema as one option. This looks pretty good as well as for the same price you get a lot of features already included.

Also your website doesn't seem to have any information on shipping. I live in Canada so the first thing I check when looking at gear stores is how they ship. If they don't use USPS for international shipping I don't bother looking any further.

Ronald Rod

@bespokegear

Thanks Katharina for the kudos!

Hi Greg,
    Thanks for the feedback, somehow the shipping page got left off the info tab. I will get that fixed soon.

In the meantime, our preferred shipping is via USPS. For a limited time, domestic shipping (within the USA) is FREE. For international shipping, I will charge only what we are charged. I would prefer to ship via Priority Mail® International. This starts at $11.95 for Canada. I will send a follow up invoice for the shipping via Paypal after the box has shipped. If some other form of shipping is preferred (be it domestic or international), just shoot me an email at [email protected], and we can sort it out. I am quite flexible.

Regarding the durability of the fabric:
    First off, I found a typo in the descriptions of the fabric. It should be TX07, not VX07. Sorry about that, still working out the kinks here. I'll have that fixed soon as well.

I am a big fan of the TX07. I find it is a good balance between weight and durability. The face fabric is a 70 denier ripstop nylon. The fabric is not as abrasion resistant as the Dyneema Gridstop, but I certainly find it durable enough. However, the waterproofness of the VX07 is better, and lasts longer, as it is not a coating, but rather a PET film that provides the waterproofing. Also, this fabric weighs in at about 3.2 ounces per yard, so it is a bit lighter than the fabric you referred to. I use the TX07 in my personal pack, and have found it quite sufficient as a pack material.

For those who are wondering, the difference between the VX07 and TX07 is that the TX07 does not have the 50 denier polyester backing on the 'wrong' side of the fabric. It also weighs 1.6oz/per square yard less than the VX07.

Thanks for bearing with us through through these early stages.

Cheers,
    Ron
    [email protected]

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

VERY cool, Ron. VERY cool!!!!

M

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks for the feed back and fabric info. I will definitely consider this pack when I go out to buy one for my daughter.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Wow, Ron, love the packs. What a great idea. Almost makes me wish I had a kid of my own!

Almost….. ;-)

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Nice looking packs. Any thought about an adjustable torso length? Sometimes I feel like my niece and nephew grow another inch every time I see them. Good luck with the new venture.

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Hey Ron,

Great-looking packs! Children are still several years off for me, but these packs make me want to go ahead and buy one in preparation for little tikes! Best wishes in your new endeavor!

-Clint

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

Great looking packs Ron! I'm very much interested in them. One of my challenges with getting a UL pack for my kid is how fast he is growing. I'm afraid that if I get him a Med torso by next year he will have outgrown that. A variable torso pack would be ideal, that way I wouldn't mind dropping $150 or more if I knew I could get 3+ years out of it.

Just a thought if you were considering expanding.

Good luck.

Mike

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

any adult size? :D

Anthony Alpert
    BPL Member

@goby99

Locale: Trinity Alps

LOVE IT!!! I'm going to measure my son and order. Wow!!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Well that looks cool. I spent $30 and a long weekend making a similar pack for my younger brother, for $65 that Hop pack is a steal. It makes upgrading to a new pack as kids grow less painful. I like the fact that there is finally another frameless pack for younger kids. Good luck.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Looks good. I like the reasonable price and low weight.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

might you happen to have any xpac in Orange? the "skip" in orange would be the bee's knees. mike

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Great idea! It's good to see some functional gear around for kids. I've got a couple of my own that could use them.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

Very excited to see a company filling something that is greatly needed. I would also agree with the above posts of an adjustable torso but would not be sure how you could achieve that with a frameless pack. Possibly different volume sizes as well? Good luck though and great idea!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

This is quality stuff. Thanks for sharing and thinking of the kiddos.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

@ Ronald – The packs look great and thanks for taking the initiative on providing gear for the little hikers!

Best to you on this endeavor.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I was in the middle of making a pack. I was even considering modifying a rei flash pack. I was trying to figure out how to cinch up the middle to allow for growth. You are providing much needed product. As for making it last for years, I will take care of it and sell it here in a year or so and buy another. Great looking packs. I can't wait to get two for my girls. I contacted my sister who just paid $120 for two rei kids packs at 1 3/4 pounds a piece and she is going to order two.

Ronald Rod

@bespokegear

Hi everyone!

Thanks for of the nice words!

A couple of answers for you all.

1. I am working on an adjustable version of the pack… needs a bit more work before I feel comfortable releasing it into the wild. the adjustability does cost more in construction and does add weight. The price will be in the $130-150 range.

2. Adult Packs- I have another big project in the works, and there will be more on this front in the future… Little Light Gear was just the first project ready for the public eye.

3. At this point, I will just have the color that is shown on the website. This may change down the road depending on demand. Trying to build a sustainable business here, so I am being conscious of getting too much money wrapped up in fabric inventory. But trust me, I am hoping to get more colors sooner than later.

Thanks again for your input everyone!

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

Excellent Ron.

I just ordered a Med Skip for my little guy. If you want to save on shipping I don't mind swinging by Boulder to pick it up. Actually, that could give me a reason to swing by Pasta J's for some good Italian food and then I would owe you more.

I'm excited to see the adjustable version.

Mike

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Trying to build a sustainable business here, so I am being conscious of getting too much money wrapped up in fabric inventory.

understandable, as i have been thru the process.

what say you, i send a yard of the orange xpac and you do a Skip pack w/ it? i wont bother calculating a discount since i am supplying the fabric, i feel regular price is fair due to the odd nature of the request.

if you are not interested, that is ok. i turn down ppl's request on a weekly basis. but if so, let me know. september is his birthday. thanks!

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I ordered a a skip tried to order a hop at same time but had no way to order a second.

Ronald Rod

@bespokegear

Micheal and John, I sent you both emails in regards to your orders.

Just so everyone is in the loop:
    At this time, the website is only set up to take orders for one pack at a time. Sorry about this, but if you would like to order two or more packs, you will have to place multiple orders. I am working to correct the site, but it may take me a couple days, as I am a much better pack builder than I am website developer. Please bear with me, and sorry for the trouble.

@te – wa- Please shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can talk offline.

Thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools