Topic

$500 – Bit of fun

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
PostedJul 1, 2019 at 3:22 pm

So, as part of a company wellness program I can claim back $500 on healthful activities and equipment, one of the categories being hiking/camping gear. Given I’m very well endowed (including with gear) and this can be a fairly frivolous purchase, what would you spend the money on? Looking for suggestions! All just a bit of fun.

Jenny A BPL Member
PostedJul 1, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Wow, good job!  What a task….

I would run out and buy a new platform rack for bikes on the back of my vehicle, probably a Thule T2 ProXT.  $500 would almost cover that  :>)

PostedJul 1, 2019 at 4:47 pm

hmmmm, that’s a possibility, not really a big biker, but I could be…..

Brad Rogers BPL Member
PostedJul 1, 2019 at 5:00 pm

You said you can claim this on activities, what about a plane ticket to backpack in an amazing location?

PostedJul 1, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Plane tickets aren’t covered. I guess as that would be ripe for abuse.

Lester Moore BPL Member
PostedJul 1, 2019 at 6:31 pm

How about reviewing your gear list to see which gear replacements would give you the maximum weight savings for $500?

PostedJul 1, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Well I’m pretty well set with the main gear items with Aeon Li, flicker bag, Cuben ULA Circuit backpack, so really I’m in the territory of something that would normally not be considered.

Maybe some fly fishing gear…..

PostedJul 1, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Now we’re talking. I could drown in style with that attached to my backside!

PostedJul 1, 2019 at 9:56 pm

I apparently missed out on this for the past four years. It’ll teach me not to ignore HR emails. Someone in my team in CO has been using it to pay for his ski pass.

Russ W BPL Member
PostedJul 1, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Clearly electronics of some sort… navigation, camera. Man, what a camera I could buy with that seed money. Have fun!

PostedJul 1, 2019 at 11:19 pm

Camera is not on the approved list….. hmmmmm, 500 mini carabiners….. sell them here…… purchase camera gear…..

some sort of Fenix may be in order – if I could work out the differences….

Ryan Hart BPL Member
PostedJul 2, 2019 at 3:45 am

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I have a similar incentive at my company and needed new backpacking gear like I need a hole in my head. Sounds like you are in the same boat. I ended up picking up a HMG flat tarp</p>

PostedJul 2, 2019 at 1:35 pm

Exactly Ryan – it certainly won’t be spent on a Zumba class!

Kattt BPL Member
PostedJul 2, 2019 at 1:47 pm

What about spending it on a few hours with a personal trainer ?

Gary Dunckel BPL Member
PostedJul 2, 2019 at 3:57 pm

Nah – you might swap out all your current underwear, T-shirts, and socks for merino ones.

Matthew / BPL Moderator
PostedJul 2, 2019 at 4:45 pm

I like Kat’s idea.

How about some kind of therapeutic massage or stretching work that wouldn’t be covered by insurance?

Or Pilates classes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Loading...