Topic

*Lightweight* Saltwater Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara *Lightweight* Saltwater Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Not much talk about saltwater around here…
    I'll be doing a 100 mile yo-yo through the Sinkyone and Lost Coast next week. Here's my surf fishing kit, mostly for targeting perch and smaller fish using a Carolina rig:

Rod:
    St. Croix Wild River, 8.5 ft., 8-12 pound fast action (my favorite surf rod EVER. Length gives great casting ability in surf, great action.)
    Reel:
    Shimano Sedona 4000FB (Fancy is bad for surf fishing…reels don't like salt and sand and you're inevitably going to dunk it.)

Tackle:
    Akiokun flybox; 12 sinkers, swivels, Owner Mosquito Hooks #2-6, beads, forceps, clippers on zip.
    Two spools leader material; 6# and 10# fluorocarbon.

Lures/Bait:
    16 grubs (various colors, motor oil red flake is my favorite)
    Gulp Powerbait camo sandworms
    (I'll also dig crabs and use mussels if I can…Don't know what's available up there though.)
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Complete kit weighed in at 1 pound, 14 ounces.
    I suppose one could go lighter, but this is what I've got.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Handline?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Salmon are running good now up here. Fishing is usually good around Shelter Cove, with the up-welling current pushing everything at you.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Handline?"

No thanks. While I know it's doable, I want to fish with gear.

Thanks Ken. I was wondering if I'd hit the salmon or not. This rod/reel combo is also what I've used for spinning for salmon/steelhead (I typically flyfish in freshwater though). I don't have any experience fishing for them in saltwater…Anything you'd recommend using for them up there?

Johan Westring
    BPL Member

@johan

Nice kit!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I swear, I read posts like this, and realize I live the most boring life ever.

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

not sure from the photos, but it looks like a 2 piece rod. have a look at Cabelas for options – they sell a range of multi piece rods that would fit better into your pack (I can recommend their name brand as a cheap alternative to bigger named brands), and great deals on reels in the 1000-2000 range if you wanted to go lighter (and would be more than enough for shore based angling). have you spooled with braid or fusion?

Why did you pick softies with lead weights instead of hard bodies or blades? the weight is similar with either, was it the cost factor – but you said salmon, which is normally beach, not rocks, so not sure what you are targeting?

also, are those scissor pliers? Since you seem to have nippers, I suspect not. if not, grab a pair of scissor pliers, you get the forceps with the instrument for cutting nylon, all you need (Cabelas have a cheap pair at $18 for 5.5 inch version you have). you can then dump the nippers – but attach the forceps to the zinger!! otherwise, you WILL lose them.

Craig

Ben Feldman
    BPL Member

@fenbeldman

Locale: Bay Area

Hi Craig–

How was the fishing? What changes would you make to the kit?

-Ben

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

He did not fish and left the trail early.

Ben Feldman
    BPL Member

@fenbeldman

Locale: Bay Area

what recommendations would you make to a coastal fishing noob?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No fishing gear,Ben. I am no help. I have not fished in 25 years.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I do a lot of fly fishing from the beaches and don't skimp on gear. If I'm fishing salmon, I will leave the pack rod at home and take one of my Sage 2-piece rods (6 to 9 weight depending on the species of salmon I'm fishing for). The salmon cruise the beaches in shallow water, so a slow sink-tip line on an Islander reel (sized to match the rod) is my choice. These can be sizable, scrappy fish in windy conditions, so I like to take the appropriate gear and will carry the extra gear weight for performance. I guess these are my luxury items, I buy expensive rods and reels and I like to use them.

Craig
    BPL Member

@skeets

Locale: Australia

actually, been too busy fishing to watch the forums. in july i went all the way to kiritibati. awesome.

Daniel Heuschele
    BPL Member

@heuschele

I am going in a group that will be going at a gradual pace which could leave time for fishing (My son is in a faster group that will be covering more miles). I saw this old post and thought I would see if anyone could provide me some suggestions that would let me catch some surf fish. I do very little surf fishing (none in a decade) so I am now a neophyte.

I understand there is no fishing in the creeks.

I saw the suggested setup and I can come close to matching the rod and reel with what I have. I have a longer pole and a reel (cheap Garcia Cardinal) that is fairly light and was cheap and has had most of its life taken out of it on a single day of salmon fishing in Alaska that I think would be fine once I place new line on it.

So I am very interested in the tackle. What should I take? I am not going to be too eager to spend time digging up sand crabs or looking for mussels so I am thinking artificials. Should I go with soft side grubs like scampis, etc or something else? Please provide as much detail on setup as you can as I hope to catch something and my surf knowledge is very out of date.

Thanks

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Hey Daniel,

I gave surf fishing a try for the first time this last New Years. I had a great time and the setup was pretty light. I made a post here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=98699&skip_to_post=836230#836230

Carolina rigs and the gulp sandworms are what I would focus on. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Daniel Heuschele
    BPL Member

@heuschele

Ben Thanks for the information. I see the Gulp Sandworm in 2", 6", and 8" lengths. what size do you recommend?

Thanks

Dave T

@davet

I'd suggest Googling "lightweight surf perch" or "carolina rig surf perch" for a bunch of info.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I do a good deal of surf fishing….You can buy the Gulp Sandworm in any size and cut it. I prefer the Camo sand worm. I don't believe I've ever fished one whole.

Another good option is the MORF grub (motor oil red flake) on a Carolina rig. Nose hook it with a #8 Owner Mosquito hook…excellent perch setup.

For what it's worth, I only fish a Carolina rig in the surf unless targeting big stuff like shark, ray, or halibut.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I think I bought the 2" Gulp sandworms. Someone mentioned MORF grubs and those are popular too. Most people recommend using a scented bait. The Gulp sandworms come pre-scented. You have to add it with the MORF Grubs.

This website has great articles and a nice forum: http://www.scsurffishing.com/

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools