Topic

QR Codes + Trail Signs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) QR Codes + Trail Signs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Jared Downs

@jared-downs

Locale: http://www.behance.net/jareddowns

Erik – Thanks for your support! I appreciate it, hopefully in about a few hours when I post up some of the images of the App, we can all start a discussion about what everyone would want to see in that App as well as what everyone doesn't want to see in it.

As the subject line reads, New Prototypes!

I tried a few different things out, mainly in regards to obtaining the proper contrast ratio for the QR codes as well as trying a few new materials.

The first new prototype is actual my first prototype that I put on the Bridgeport and machined out the old QR code that was originally etched in. This time I etched and painted a QR code on to the back of clear acrylic and placed it in the sign as an in-lay.

My thoughts, not loving the look. I think it can look much better. Performance, despite the egg shelled paint (I was in a hurry and applied the past super fast) the QR code was still readable!

QR Sign Prototyped with inlay

The second of the new prototypes is all wood and has two coats of Shellac that I am about to test some weathering stuff on. The sign has extra space at the bottom as I am exploring the development of a standardized sign. Just mocking things up.

QR Sign with 2 Coats Shellac

Jared Downs

@jared-downs

So I'm finally at a place where I have some stuff that is worth showing.

Please keep in might that this is just a first pass and things will continue to evolve.
    As always, comments are always welcome.

Opening screen, still working on the Branding.
    Opening Screen

Once the QR icon is tapped, the QR reader will appear.
    QR - 1
    QR - 2
    QR - 3
    QR - 4

Once the profile icon is tapped, the hikers Profile will appear Information and graphs will be generated through the use of Analytics; the app will keep track of the times that the QR codes are scanned and use the location of the signs to tell the hiker various information about distances, times, shelters, etc. Also, when QR codes are scanned, the hikers family, friends (who ever they designate) can check in on them via the website rather than the hiker constantly calling or texting.
    Profile - 1
    Profile - 2

Once the Trail icon is tapped, information pertaining to that section of the trail appears. Everything from post office locations to trail usage history will be available.
    Trail - 1
    Trail - 2
    Trail - 3
    Trail - 4

Once the Itinerary icon is tapped, the trip itinerary appears. From there the hiker can plan out meals, as well as setting goals for when they want to be at destinations.
    Itinerary - 1
    Itinerary - 2

Sorry about the obnoxiously long post, just wanted to provide images that are easy to see on everyones monitors. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts and anything you'd like to see added or taken out. Hopefully with the feedback from everyone, I can make this much stronger. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

QR

Jared Downs

@jared-downs

Timothy – I actually laughed when I read that. Thanks for taking the time to generate that.

I do appreciate your thoughts and comments.

I hope no one here is getting worked up about my project, I hope everyone knows that this is only my senior thesis project and isn't in production or being installed. Although I have been able to make the signs and have started to develop the App, this doesn't mean that this is going to be a reality on every trail across the US.

My aim is to allow for the transfer of more information to and from hikers while on trail, that utilizes unused space on existing signs.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Well I think it's pretty cool.

Jared Downs

@jared-downs

New exploration. Over the past few days I've been exploring smaller options, as suggest by a few members.

I'm thinking rather than adding the QR code to the sign, having a small removable piece will be best.

Still working on the App and the content within it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Here's a quick mock up.

QR code Mock up

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Jared – yes! Those look great.

I think those could work well in many ways: cost to make, cost/ease of adding to current signage, cost/ease of maintenance, and, of course, they're small, attractive for what they are, unobtrusive, yet effective for their purpose. Nice.

tommy d

@vinovampire

I can't help but think that QR Coded are a dying technology. Augmented Reality browsers like Layar are already available for smart phones, even if they are just in their infancy. When these technologies are rolled out in the next 5 to 10 years, QR codes will disappear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b64_16K2e08

Why scan a QR code when you will be able to look through a smart phone or some other device and view multiple layers of information on exactly what you're viewing?

Heather Corder

@corder

Jared,

I am an undergrad doing a research project on technology in specific tourism segments, and I have chosen to do my paper on QR codes in parks and campgrounds. I am focusing on their ability to provide hiking/bike trail maps, updates from other users about possible problems along the trail, and possibly weather updates (much like the system in Japan called "M-navi"). My project is just a simple informational paper, and I am not trying to make prototypes. I'm simply focusing on how, if at all, the QR codes are presently implemented in parks, and how the QR codes could benefit this particular tourism segment. However, I can't find any information about the QR codes being used in U.S. parks to provide anything other than general information about historical sites. If you know of any parks in the U.S. that are implementing or already taking full advantage of QR codes please let me know. Also, I was wondering if it would be okay to site you and your work in my paper, and possibly use some of your photos in my presentation. Thanks for the help!

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

you know, i've been thinking about QR codes on trails vs NFC stickers. weatherproof NFC stickers should hold up pretty well compared to a smudged out QR code. also NFC can hold a fair amount of write once or rewritable data, whereas QR usually needs internet access to do anything. if you wanted a virtual wall where internet access was not available, that might be the way to go. not many phones use NFC yet obviously, but something to think about for the future.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

17 year old here.

I have an iPhone. I am probably an outlier for my age group in that when I am on the trail; my phone is rarely with me. This summer I will make the exception on the PCT as it will serve predominately as a camera but also as a journal platform (in conjunction with a written journal), when I am on the trail my phone will remain firmly in Airplane mode.

I am philosophically opposed to the QR codes on trail signs. Unlike many people of the generation older then me, I have literally been steeped in modern techno culture every day of my life. In fact the only time I can achieve a semblance of escape from it is when I am on the trails and I would be absolutely disappointed to see QR codes on my upcoming section hike.

I would urge the older generation to think of the younger ones when making decisions concerning adding things to our wilderness areas. As the number of locations on this finite earth where one can escape technology begin to dwindle, and the number of people who have never lived a day without technological influence continue to rise I challenge you to think not only of the current generation of users but also of us. Those of us who will inherit the wilderness areas in whatever state you leave them in when you invariably stop using them.

There is a time and a place for trail signs with embedded QR codes, but that area is not our few remaining wildernesses.

To those who say that others can live with the "organic" look of these codes for their convenience I vehemently disagree. A code made up of perfect squares is nothing close to organic. Fine me a naturally occurring perfect square in nature and I will reconsider. There are devices that enable you to do everything that these codes will do without trammeling upon the nature of everyone else.

With that being said, I would like to commend you on the innovation. While I may not agree with all of the innovations that occur, I do not have anything but respect for those people who are able to come up with new ideas and tools. For the innovation I respect you. As I said, I just do not feel that our few remaining wildernesses are the correct location for this otherwise very interesting and well thought out idea.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Jared,
    Amazing! This is my first time on this thread and you are turning out some very nice work! My last employer produced an iPad & iPhone interface to compliment their medical software package. It was a great success for them. Keep working on this, there is huge potential for an excellent finished product ahead that may go far beyond QR Codes.
    As a 57 year old, I do prefer map & compass as a Plan B when my preplanning or poor signage leaves me short but I must admit that your system (as said above) has real potential.

Best of Luck!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well said Jace!

No signs in the wilderness. Keep it wild.

a b

@ice-axe

Can't you just see the hikers chipping away at the rime ice to scan the QR code.
    .Trail sign in the White Mountains, New Hampshire's Appalachian Trail
    I really don't like this idea.
    In fact this is the sort of thing I would go "Hayduke" over.
    Why don't i like the idea? Because there are already too many people surrendering their own judgement to electronic devices in the wilderness.
    Though I don't use a GPS I can understand how it can be a great SECONDARY tool for navigation BEHIND a map and compass.
    The smartphone thing with QR codes.. No Way.
    I don't get militant about much, but this would be one of those things.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Someone suggested NFC earlier. I use nfc tags a bit and recently started putting them in geocaches. When I create or find a cache I can write a custom nfc tag (I use a small plastic disc tag) on the spot regardless of cell service availability and leave it there. When a friend finds the cache, they can read the message and write their own.

The approx. 1" plastic discs read/write just fine after a trip through my washer and dryer :) and could be easier/cheaper to replace and update than custom built signs. They could also be any color/design you want (including the same color as the sign).

Just a thought as I'd think they would be easier to implement, have wider potential use (due to their 2-way capability), and might satisfy some of the concerns about obvious technology reminders during their nature experience.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

We've just approved an Eagle Scout project that includes placement of QR's on existing signs and kiosks within our nature preserve and a website with supporting data ranging from location/mapping to interpretive material regarding the flora and fauna. It's a great value-added feature for the reality of a world where many people are more skilled and eager with their smart-phones that they are with a paper map. It also allows us to minimize the production of paper maps that often wind up "in" the preserve rather than one's pocket.

There were those opposed to the idea, either on the grounds that they are fearful and offended by technology and representations of it, or that they were concerned such things serve people they don't want to be out in the outdoors anyway (or at least, "their outdoors). My view, from the perspective of one who dislikes signs other than trail markers, is that these small graphic images aren't an imposition when placed on existing signeage and have great utility to folks that can use it.

And to those who despise technology, I encourage you to move forward with a "Bludgeon the iTards" campaign. All wearers of earphones in the outdoors must be savagely punished, if only to set an example for the others. Yes, even if they're using a UL iPod and cute, lightweight gear, this blight of self-absorbed, oblivious goofballs must be eradicated like polio or zombie virus. Actually, come to think of it, it may be zombie virus.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I love this idea. It also makes me cringe. But inevitably technology is becoming a part of the outdoors. Why not make use of it? The signs look fantastic, I like your design. I don't think it would take away from the outdoors aspect of things, and I don't think that having your phone in hand (hey, its my camera too,) is wrong in any way. I would hate to see everyone talking on the phone while hiking, especially if it disturbs other hikers. But use of technology like this could be awesome. It could also be tied into a gps map and track your progress, time, elevation gain and loss, etc. It would work well as a trip log along with providing info. Good luck I'd like to see this happen. I was just on franconia ridge this weekend. The signs were mostly iced over, but hey, you can knock the ice off and still use these in winter if you wanted to. :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm already bothered by idiotic and useless signage as it is:

^^^Gee, how helpful. If you didn't already know you were on Forester Pass in Sequoia…
    Why can't we leave the backcountry alone and keep most of this info limited to maps? All the info on this sign could be looked up before hand or referenced elsewhere. I see no need to clutter up a beautiful pass with signage.

Personally, I think the QR thing is dumb and ugly; I see QR codes and I see someone trying to sell me something. But if people insist on integrating technology and the outdoors, why not use tech to it's full advantage and ditch the signs and codes altogether? Can't your "smart" device, based on GPS and pre-loaded software, just tell you you're on Forester Pass, the elevation, and anything else a QR could, but without unsightly signs?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Since it's a math problem, here's my solution:

QR Codes + Trail Signs = Spray Paint + Thermite

In the Wilderness. On an interpretative trail, nature trail, history trail, etc. I say fine.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

If the sign is already there I don't understand the objection. I can see objecting to putting more signs in the wilderness, but what difference does a little symbol make on an existing sign?

Jared Downs

@jared-downs

Hey All,

Thanks for all the comments….thought this thread was near dead. But thanks to Heather for bringing it back up.

Heather – I'd love to help you out with your paper / work since I took my fair share of time through out my project from the community. Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll do my best to fill in any blanks for you.

So I'm not sure if anyone has had the chance to check out the project in its competition, because I think most of these comments are based just on the work shown in this thread. But here's the link to my portfolio for you all to check out the completed project http://www.coroflot.com/jareddowns

I'll try my best to put out any fires that may have re-sparked themselves…this project is not going anywhere, and I currently have no plans for it.

I was approached a month back by a group that was looking to try and integrate the codes into their trail signs, and I'll do my best to give them the knowledge I learned through out my project, but I still have my personal views on this stuff.

My personal views… I don't care for QR codes and want less signs. I agree with everyone that does not want to see these. But I'll also go as far to say that I don't see the need for GPS units. I don't own any of them or want any of them. I don't even own a smart phone, I have a prepaid el-cheapo phone and I use it on hikes only to log the time I got onto the trail and the time I got off trail…I don't own a watch.

Jace – I'd have to say that of all the comments I have a received on here, I appreciate and respect yours the most. I appreciate that you were able to put into context what exactly it was that you didn't like about this rather than just stating that you don't like it. Props to you for your stance, I fear our generation does not see nature for what it really is. I bet this all sounds funny since I'm the one who did the project, but again it was just an exersice in exploring a new concept and seeing what could come of it.

To everyone else, I appreciate the comments both positive and negative. It's great to get some feedback on something that's had a few months to lay stagnant, rather than only getting the initial 'wow' response because it is days old.

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools