Topic

Where to backpack in Nor Cal? Too much snow in the Sierras!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Where to backpack in Nor Cal? Too much snow in the Sierras!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have called all the ranger stations on HWY 80,88,4,108 and 120. All said too much snow and snow is expected this weekend. I went way North last weekend to HWY36 by Mt Lassen to Mill Creek TH- again to much snow. I have been to Henry Coe 3 times this year so far and Pt. Reyes is booked for the weekend..Any secret spots I am not aware of? I should of gone to the South Fork of the Trinity River last weekend suggested by Ken Thompson. Any one been to Snow Mt this year? Once again Cabin Fever!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Cache Creek?

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

I would like to know also. I have been itching to go real soon.

The only other place besides those you have listed would be big sur and big basis to waddle creek that I have been wanting to go.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

For those who may be guessing. That's the South Fork National Recreation Trail. Along the beautiful Trinity River.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm9_008579.pdf

Couple routes in the Trinity Alps are open also. Hoping the updated trail report gets posted today.

Jim Carr

@jcarr

Locale: Humboldt County

You might want to consider the Yolla Bolly Mountains or the Sinkyone Wilderness.

Chris C
    BPL Member

@cvcass

Locale: State of Jefferson

the updated conditions report for the trinities was posted on 6-2-11, it is in .doc format instead of the usual pdf though…

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Ken–South Fork of the Trinity River–my bad.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Caribou Wilderness (east of Lassen).

It is drier there and much less snowy.

–B.G.–

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jay,

Humboldt Redwoods State Park has a few trail camps with easy access. These are very private and scenic.

http://humboldtredwoods.org/trail_camps

http://www.miguelvieira.org/rememberedearth/2010/04/25/humboldt-redwoods-grasshopper-peak-backpack/

Bill

Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

Just got back from a 2day trip last weekend in the Ventana Wilderness, nice weather, beautiful scenery. Its no sierras but at least its melted.

I also was able to get out to Hetch Hetcy about 4 weeks ago and hiked up to Miguel Meadows, beautiful hike and not a soul out there. Still snow at the higher elevations but you can definitely get away

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I'm in the same boat! I was planning to section hike the PCT tyhrough the Sierras, but with all the snow adn anticiapted safe passage not until end of July, my window to do this is rapidly closing so I'm loooking for another kewl place to visit that is readily accessible…so any suggestiosn woudl be appreciated! Mahalo!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The So Cal section of the PCT is nice right now. A little windy and cold sometimes, but otherwise not too much snow and still lots of flowers.

What about backpacking in the redwoods of Nor Cal?

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

No one has mentioned the Lost Coast. Thats a great spot to go where you can get into some pretty rugged terrain, not alot of people and some beautiful scenery.

Caroline Thomas Jacobs

@cthomasjacobs

We're looking to take our kids on their first backpacking trip. We're shooting for a relatively flat loop, hiking a couple miles a day for 2-3 days.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Jay,

Since you have been 3 times to Henry Coe, you might want to consider the Ohlone Trail. It runs 28 miles from Del Valle (Livermore) to Mission Peak (Fremont). It is a great hike right here in the Bay Area.

Caroline,

One idea would be to go to Point Reyes. Have a look at the map and pick something that fits the abilities of your kids. You could for example first go to the visitor center, look at the exhibits and hike the Earthquake trail (0.6 miles). My kids liked that at that age (for example seeing the fence that moved 20 feet in 1906). Then you can drive around to the youth hostel, park your car there and hike on the Fire Lane Trail to Cost Camp (1.6 miles). From there you can explore the beach, play in the sand and explore tide pools. The next day on your way back you can hike the Coast Trail (2 miles). On the map you will see other options (Glen Camp, Wildcat Camp). For a first outing they are most likely to steep.

Enjoy your trip,

Manfred

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Manfred, That might be my only option for next weekend.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Jay,

I will be fun. With this weekend's rain you will even still see water at Murietta Falls. They are they highest falls in the Bay Area and worth the little side trip. Don't forget to book the campsites right away.

I like to do the trail on a weekend, where I go to Del Valle Friday right after work and camp at Stewart's Camp after 6 miles (near Murietta Falls) before it gets dark. On Saturday I stay at the Backpacker's Camp at Sunol (Site 2 (Oakview) or Site 7 (Sky Camp) – both are dead ends with great views with no one walking by). On Sunday I usually go up Mission Peak and go down on the backside (Horse Heaven) which is so much nicer than the main trail.

Have a look at the map at the bottom of this web page to see. In case you have a Tenkara, you can have some extra fun at Johnny's Pond on the first day. There are sizable bluegill to be caught. My 9 year old had a blast with the Tenkara Hane when we did the hike recently.

Enjoy your weekend,

Manfred

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Jay, when we did Redwood Canyon Memorial weekend, the ranger said that the hikes starting at roads end were hikeable up to Paradise valley,give them a call at this # 1-559-565-3341 to get current info. Jack

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Jack, That's some great info I will do some research. By the way great pictures from your last trip. Those Redwoods are massive!!!!!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I think the lower elevations should be OK as far as snow in the Grouse Ridge (Emigrant Wilderness) area. That's a place we've recommended for people with kids; there are lakes every couple of miles. I think it's around 5000 feet elevation (can't remember for sure). It requires about 5-8 miles of travel on a gravel road, doable if you're careful but not fun in a non-4WD vehicle.

Point Reyes would also be a good place to take kids.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools