Topic

Forum Performance Very Poor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Forum Performance Very Poor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

BPL forums has never been a powerhouse of forum performance, but access to the forums has deteriorated alot. There are regular outages of performance, and often 1 min load times. This is happening 30%+ of the time. I can surf any other website, use skype, etc, it is clearly BPL.com.

This performance is terrible, espiecally when you are selling and buying things. There are alternatives and competitors to BPL, both in buying and selling and talking on the forums. How can this go on?

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I dont know about outages, but they really need to spend the money on new forum software.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Not sure it's just the Forum. Have had a number of times where the site performance in general is poor. Perhaps time to look at a better place to host your site. Who knows, you might even manage to get it hosted for cheaper.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

While I would like it better, I have experienced nothing like what you are talking about. Not the one min load times, and definitely not the 30% issue.

I've had a few outages over the years, but nothing remotely approaching "regular".

???

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

A handful of times it seemed to take unusually long to load a page. Other than that, I have not had the problems you are talking about. I actually find the forum quite user friendly.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No trouble here either.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

here either
    As long as I use forum navigation instead of my browser's back tab everything works fine

Michael Bachman

@rivrfox

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

I find the pm system to be extremely lacking as you can't keep track of messages you have with people about trips, gear, beta, etc..

Ideally, I would not like to have my pms activated due to this but then I can't send a pm to someone.

Bit of a catch22.

Forums work good for me!

:)” height=”413″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1306990226_44194.jpg” width=”550″ />.

One last thing: when doing a trip report or multiple photos it takes a long time to set this up than ideal. :/

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

In general, I think the performance of the site is ok except when I load the gear swap forum. That tends to take a bit longer for me so when browsing gear swap I load that page into one browser tab and then use additional tabs to drill down to threads of interest.

As for PMs, I can't track a thread of messages. However, I don't think that BPL needs to change this.. I can PM someone with my email address and continue the conversation using my own email client.

Overall, I love the simplicity of the BPL site. I'd does lend itself to the overall ultralight theme, doesn't it?

Mike

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Forum performance is very poor about five or ten times per week. The poor load times will persist, on and off, for a period of a few minutes, and then they become more average.

–B.G.–

George Mills

@marienbad

I was just about to post the same topic until I found that there was already a thread.

Forum loading time is bad over the entire forums, not just buy and sell.

I know I would be willing to pay $5 per month for good forum performance — how about any other takers?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools