Topic

MSR Hubba Troubles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Hubba Troubles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul Dalley

@pauldalley

Locale: Gulf Coast

About three years ago I purchased an MSR Hubba tent. Works well. It has been in storage for the past two years. (been car camping). This year I'm going to Isle Royale in August. So I broke out the tent and found that the silicon coating on the rain fly had become soft and tacky. The inside of the fly is tacky and coating comes off on to everything. The fly will not freely slide over anything.

Anyone else had this experience? I have contacted MSR's warranty department, I'll let you know how that goes.

Paul

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The PU coating is done for. Did you store it in a hot garage? Might be able to get a new fly from MSR.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I have heard of others having the same problem. When they contacted MSR, they sent them a new fly.

gavin wenyon

@gavin123

I always store my tent fly's and inners in mesh bags similar to ones you get with sleeping bags to eliminate that risk. Even just having them in plastic shopping bags is better than having them compressed and jammed into the factory stuff sack.

David Ure

@familyguy

As Ben mentioned, this was a common situation with the older PU coated MSR fly. One had to absolutely make sure there was no moisture when stored. MSR has now gone to an alternative fabric.

MSR will replace the fly no charge in this case. There won't be any surprises.

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

Happened to me, they sent me a new one.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Yup, a common problem w/some earlier Hubbas, & covered by warranty.

Storing tents in large laundry bags or some such thing, instead of the stuff sack, & in a cool dry part of your home, will generally help prevent such problems in the future. But these definitely had some problems.

Kurt King

@backinthelab

Paul, I'm so glad I came across this post! I'm in pretty much the exact situation, except that I leave for IR next week! I just emailed Cascade and hope they do reply quickly, I had a trip last month where I woke up in the mddle of the night to drops on my head and thought that I just needed to spray it with some Nikwax. Good thing I found this!

Paul Dalley

@pauldalley

Locale: Gulf Coast

I did contact MSR today and sent the fly back. Just go to their website. They have a printable form and address to send your fly to. They said that they will replace the fly.

Thanks again.

Paul

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

My gold/yellow fly also became sticky while stored loosely in the closet; I contacted MSR and they told me to return it for a free replacement – the new green fly. I just sent it in today.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> found that the silicon coating on the rain fly had become soft and tacky.

Correction: that is a PU coating, and quite common. Silicone polymers do NOT do that.

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools