Topic

Kings Canyon – Redwood Canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Kings Canyon – Redwood Canyon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

Weekend trip along the Hart Tree and Fallen Goliath Loop Trail:

Trip organized by Jack "The Snow Magnet" Elliot.

Trippers: Jack Elliot, Josh Elliot, Jeremy Elliot, Brian Conrad, Adam Criswell

We had a great trip but had to cut it short due to unexpected snowfall. Here is a little photo essay, hope you enjoy!

Kings Canyon Trailhead Sign

adjusting

Last minute adjustments and general joking around before heading off on our "serious" trek.

jeep

Attempting to help out some unprepared Jeep driver. No shovel, no chains, no winch.

big tree

There were some massive trees.

tree

dogwood

more big trees

Feeling small.

sign

map

Are we lost?

tree

peeping out

purple shrooom

Cute little purple mushrooms.

orange thing

Not sure what this is but looks like an alien egg case.

meadow

sun tree

One of the few moments where the sun came through.

shroom

flowers

more flowers

more big trees

big trees

Playing around with sticks and stuff.

spy

shroom

poor tree

Poor tree will never be the same.

more trees

Brian in the Hart Tree

Brian in the Hart Tree.

hart

The photographer gets his picture taken.

more shrooms

more shrooms

more shrooms

You get the idea, there were lots of mushrooms.

ladybugs

… and ladybugs.

home

Home for the night.

MMMMM, popcorn!

MMMMMM, Popcorn!

popcorn

with butter.

fire stove

Cooking over homemade stove.

Josh

Brian

alien

Alien visitor.

snow

Good morning snow.

snow tents

more snow

moss

snow and trees

HI

bear

Tracking bear.

spring

Jeremy

more snow

alive

more snow

spring

Emerging.

water

cold

Finished!

We made it! From left to right: Jeremy, Jack, Brian, Josh, Adam

Thanks for the snow Jack!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Great photos guys….those Redwoods are HUGE!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Great photo essay. It looked like excellent scenery and company.

I was in Fresno on Friday morning getting ready when my sister-in-law went into labor, which meant going up to the bay area and not getting back until Saturday night. As it was raining in the valley, I was thinking of the fun you guys must be having up in the Sierra. I am very sorry I missed this trip.

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

Very nice report! Like the mushroom pics!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Great trip report. I'm sure your camera captured a much different trip than one I would have, and BPL is better for that.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

Great pictures

From mushrooms to big trees.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Great photos, thanks for posting. Jacks myog stove is amazing, I never thought of cooking ul popcorn. Nice!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Jack is good at bringing out the unexpected food at night. Popcorn is way cool!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Thanks for starting the thread Adam, I will try to post some pic's tonight

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I would like to thank everyone who made it on this trip, even though we had to cut it short I had a great time. Looks like I'm going to have to give everything a bath though, I didn't get eveything unpacked quick enough, and I have some odd smells going on with gear. The first day of the trip was beautiful as far as weather was concerned, a little foggy when we left the parking lot, but it cleared up nicely, with patchy blue skies, and hints of sun shine peaking through the great big Sequoia trees.

foggy

blue skies

big tree

The first day hiking was great, it took quite a while to cover aprox. 6.5 miles, 1. We were all stopping and looking at the huge trees, 2. We were trying out our new cameras (me, and Adam), and 3 Was the horrendous death cones from above that we had to walk on, it was like walking on huge marbles, twisting ankles, knees, not fun, I don't know if they do any trail maintenance, it may have been that we were hiking a little early in the season before they started any trail maintenance, enough of that more pictures!

Trying out the macro setting.

Flower

Water log.

water log

I want to say thanks to Adam for helping me understand how to use my camera a little better, it shows in some of the pic's I took on this trip. I think we may have a new photo junkie in BPL (Adam) He was taking some great pictures, I think he likes his new camera.

We both took this shot, my little cave of mushrooms!

Shrooms

Brought to you by PAN-O-VISION, I should have taken more frames of this view.

Pan

One of my favorite trees on this hike, kind of looks like something from the Wizard of OZ.

What?

This came out a little blurry, but not bad for cold hands, no tripod, and macro zoom.

macro

I'll try to post more this week.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Thanks for this great report, gentlemen. Super pictures!

I've a girlfriend who enjoys backpacking low(er) mileage trips and this trip looks great for that. We're out of Fresno so it's not too far away. According to the Kings Canyon NP website there is a two night limit in Redwood Canyon, which is perfect for a couple of low mileage days. With that, I've a few questions, if I may:

I'd love to get out there and do this trail before the summer (what summer?) hits. It seems that the Jeep in the picture got stuck on the same road that leads to the trail head? Were you guys equipped with 4×4's or did you have to park elsewhere? (ie: how was HWY 180 and the Quail Flats turn-off/dirt road leading to the trail head?)

I hate to assume, but looking at the pictures it seems that Buena Vista, Redwood and East Fork Creeks (and others not marked on the map I'm looking at) are flowing rather well? (ie: finding water is not at all an issue?)

Thanks!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Awesome pictures! Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for putting this together.

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

Thanks everyone for your comments, we had a really nice time. I really enjoyed the mellow pace and taking the time to really appreciate the scenery. I have found that when I bring my camera I pay more attention to the details and am less obsessed with making the miles. I like your wizard of Oz tree picture Jack, the lighting and perspective are interesting.

@ Aaron, this would be a great trip for you and your girlfriend. There are 2 ways to get to the trail head, we parked in a parking lot about 2 miles north of the trail head because part of the road was closed. It was an easy walk down but there were some snow patches that are too much for most vehicles. You could drive up from the south as well and there were a couple of cars parked in the parking lot. Highway 180 is clear but the entrance to the dirt road (north side) is closed. As far as water goes, there was plenty, didn't even need to think about it. I am not sure how your girlfriend likes cool damp weather, you may want to wait a couple more weeks before heading up there. It is a really nice hike though and not too challenging with some amazing trees.

Cheers,

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Just wanted to post some more pic's, and say I wish we could have stayed another day so I could have spent more time with my 2 son's , I don't get to backpack with them enough.

This was an odd site, this tree grew straight, then turned 90* for about a foot, then turned 90* again, and continued to grow straight, wierd!

tree

This tree in the center with the branches going to the right, looks like he's trying to grab a little sugar from his sugar mama tree. Who knows what goes on in the forest when we're not around.

tree

My 2 son's walking among giants. I love them 2 boy's, and proud of them too.

son's

A family of "Giant Sequoias"

tre

Jeremy "Hey Brian, where are all the big trees at?"
    Brian " I don't know Jeremy, I'm still looking myself"

what?

tree

More macro shoots.

ladybug

macro

Dave T

@davet

Good time to go to avoid the potgrowers! Last time we tried to go deep in there, we were told to wait for an L.E. sweep first.

Chuck Cheese

@defrag4

nice pics!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools