Topic

New Mexico

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Is this pretty much the best map for the Pecos or do you normally just take 7.5 quads or make your own from mytopo or other software?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Michael,

That's not the "best" map for the Pecos, but it is what I've used in the past for on trail and off trail navigation.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

What would you consider the best then? Best meaning accuracy (current trails), clarity and decent scale for off-trail. 2004 seems kind of old. I thought I read on the NF website they were supposed to have a new one out but that was in 2009.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Tailored 7.5 quads of your intended route would be ideal if you're looking for detail of course or intend to do a fair amount of off trail hiking, but I haven't found the need for that in the Pecos as the trails on the 2004 map are accurate for reference- I haven't found any discrepancies on the map in the areas of the Pecos that I've travelled. There may be newly constructed trails or redirections within the wilderness area but I haven't heard of any or seen any updates on the NP website.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools