Topic

New Mexico

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I have the option of going to northern NM either the second week of June, or mid-July.
    I know rain is always possible, but am I correct in thinking that June will theoretically have less afternoon storm activity?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Correct.

June is prime in NM, monsoonal flow pattern hasn't settled in yet, and the wildflowers are starting to pop- snow may linger up above 10,000ft. in areas.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Where in Northern NM?

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Joe,I'm considering either going back to the Pecos Wilderness, was there early last June or maybe around Cuba, haven't been there. Any suggestions? I've read the southern areas are experiencing regional drought,(our Big Bend as well.)

Eugene,Thanks, I remember from last year the wildflowers were amazing, Lady Slipper, Irises, beautiful!!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

It is where I am headed this Mem Day Weekend.

Figure I try something different. Not really that far of a drive (esp for a three day trip) and should be less snowy vs my usual go-to place for Mem Day Weekend (Lost Creek Wilderness). Plus I hear the green chile beer at Eskes in Taos is awesome. :D

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Green chili beer, well I like just about anything with green chili so sounds like I need to make a pit stop there:D
    I have to confess part of the draw, besides it being way cooler summer temps than here in TX, is the food in the region, well and the mountains, and the history, and the architecture and the…….food :)

Paul, sounds like you'll be back before I leave, maybe I'll catch your trip report before I go.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

You asked: "I have the option of going to northern NM either the second week of June, or mid-July. I know rain is always possible"

Damn I hope it rains………….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liw470SsxJw

Smoke cuts the night, in this old campfire light
    And I'm thinking, where I'd rather be
    Maybe chasing senorita's, down in old Mexico
    Or standing at the edge of the sea
    If I had the money, well I'd tell ya honey
    We'd be on that first plane to Spain
    But as long as we're here, the answer is clear
    We'll dance, in the New Mexico rain.

New Mexico rain – It's hot down in Texas
    New Mexico rain – Oh, and I call this my home
    If I ain't happy here, – I ain't happy nowhere
    New Mexico rain – When my mind starts to roam.

Oh the lights of the city, keep callin' my name
    And you know, I've been through that before
    It's just a giant hotel on a long four-lane street
    With a checkout time on the door.
    If I had the money, I'd tell ya honey
    We'd be, on the New Delhi train
    But as long as we're here, the answer is clear
    We'll waltz in the New Mexico rain.

New Mexico rain – Well It's hot down in Texas
    New Mexico rain – I call this my home
    If I ain't happy here, – Then I ain't happy nowhere

I've been talkin' all day, with a man in town.
    And he sure seems unhappy to me
    He tells me he's going nowhere, he's goin' there fast
    And he envy's this life that I lead
    Oh, if I had the money, I'd tell ya honey
    I'd keep him from goin' insane
    You know there's one thing for sure, there just ain't no cure
    Like a walk in the New Mexico rain.

New Mexico rain – it's hot down in Texas
    New Mexico rain – I call this my home
    If I ain't happy here, – Then I ain't happy nowhere
    If I ain't happy here, – I ain't happy nowhere

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Great song, great songwriter. I miss the days when Hearne and SXSW were the house band at the Motherlode in Red River. I got spoiled.

And I'm pretty fond of the Wheeler Peak wilderness.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Joe, I am going to Eskes strictly because of your suggestion. :)

I thought of the Wheeler Peak Wildwerness, but I might save that one for a another trip with the future Mrs. Mags (a smaller area may lend itself to the lower mileage trips with more camping that Adrianna enjoys)

In any case, New Mexico is a place that is often off my mental radar for trips. I think nothing of driving to Utah or the San Juans (further away!), but a relatively quick and easy zip down I25 (esp compared to the traffic on I70) brings me to a gorgeous place.

Don't know why many of my fellow Coloradans forget about our neighbor to the south. I've heard more than one friend say "New Mexico. Don't know why I didn't think of it".

Northern New Mexico was one of my favorite places on the CDT as well.

Time to explore NM a bit more.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Yeah, I suspected as much! Some nice, short trips between the lakes in Wheeler.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Paul,

Which area of the Pecos will you be hiking? A small group If BPL members will be doing a 4 day up there leaving Sunday evening, we'll likely be heading up to Pecos Baldy.

Originally we were going to hike in the Gila but Stage 2 fire restrictions all about nullified that idea.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Eugene,

A buddy and I (originally a solo trip, his wife gave him a pass for the weekend! She's biking with her friends in Taos) plan on starting from the Santa Barbara TH on Sat morning.

The general route is along the Divide Trail Saturday, end up around TrailRiders Wall/Peco Baldy area Sunday, maybe bag N Truchas peak Monday, do a little off trail 'schwacking and head down to the N Fish Lake and then to the W Fork TR to head out Monday.

As I said, that's the general route. :)

Maybe I'll see you out there!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I'm looking for a long hike – 100 would be nice, 200 would be better. Is it possible to put that together in the Pecos?

What are the recommended maps and guides?

Thanks.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

My buddy just sent this info:

"I called and talked to the trails/recreation ranger
    out of the Panasco RS and he said conditions are good with snow patches
    below tree line on north facing slopes only. He said things are great above
    tree line."

Woot! Woot! :)

As for guidebook and maps/100 mile hikes, I defer to the New Mexico experts here! :) With the exception of the CDT and a brief trip last month with my fiancee', New Mexico is mainly unknown to me.

I have the USFS map for the Pecos and it look like you can connect to Carson NF (and, by extension, the CDT also in Carson NF?), but this area is pretty much a blank slate as far as the outdoors goes!

Let me know what info you find, though! Sounds like a great idea. :D

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Mags,

Sweet! There's a very good chance we'll see you out there- we're entering via Jacks Creek up to Pecos Baldy and then heading to Trailriders Wall/Beattys Cabin and the Santa Barbara Divide Trail further NE. I have a nice loop put together, but its subject to snow conditions. I called twice this week for condition reports and received very vague and incomplete feedback from the Pecos ranger district, what I did hear was patchy snow around 10,500ft., healthy snow above 12,000'. My good friend hiked up Wheeler Peak last weekend and wore snowshoes for the majority of the approach hike- significant amount of snowpack still in Wheeler.

We will see, not a bad way to spend a few days that's for sure.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

All sounds good. Hope to see you there!

Look for a tall, athletic guy..that's my buddy.

I'll be the short schlub wearing interesting looking clothing. ;)

Ryan King

@ryanking

Locale: Rockies

Curious to hear how the trip went for you guys. I took trail #257 up to Pecos Baldy Lake Friday afternoon and hoped to spend a few days on the Skyline trail but couldnt get through to Truchas Lakes. I lost the trail while contouring around the east side of Truchas Peak and had a miserable time postholing. Even set off a couple wet slab slides in the trees, including one the dog took a ride on. Above treeline and along Trailriders Wall I had no problems with snow, but the 1000' feet just below treeline were pretty wet and snowy. Snow level in the trees was maybe 10,800 or so. Ended up just bailing back to the car Saturday evening to salvage the weekend.

Trip report and pics here.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

It was an amazing trip.

The quick and dirty trip report. I plan uploading photos and writing a trip report a little later…

We went up trail #27 to the Santa Barbara Divide (complete with about two hours of post holing! :O), but went into an amazing above treeline wonderland. Camped at Horseshoe Lake. The winds were HOWLING the following day back on the Divide and to the Skyline Trail. Due to the winds, we decided to not due to summit Chimayosos.

Made our way down the divide and did a side excursion to Truchas Lakes. From just above there, we noticed all the snow in the Pecos Baldy area and decided to not do that side trip! From Truchas Lakes, we hiked off trail to the saddle below North Truchas Peak and made our way down #25. More postholing and route finding! Easier to follow the Santa Barbara R. than the trail. Found the trail again and camped in a nice meadow about 6 miles from the TH. Hooked up with 24 and ended the trip.

Maybe about 35-40 miles total for the weekend with 5000'+ gain?

Have to look at the map to give a total later!

In the mean time, here are the photos without many details…
    Backpacking in the Pecos Wilderness, New Mexico

A full featured trip report will come! :)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I didn't hear a single mention of green chile beer in all that.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Oh green chile was had as Eskes! (Nachos, the Fatty and, of course, the beer).

:)

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I might have similar opportunity as the OP this summer. 2 questions:
    1. What are the better loops (unless someone wants to join me and shuttle) of 70-100 miles?

2. Assuming a "dry" year, where will I not have to worry about water supply? I normally carry 1 or 2 L. Will I need more capacity?

This green chile beer sounds intriguing. Is it an ale?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

There is something about New Mexico, esp northern New Mexico. Something that you dont feel other places.

Its a land of contrasts. Snow capped mountains contrast with high desert and sage. Cloudless blue skies contrast with brown earth and adobe structures. The indigenous pueblo culture pervades modern society.

You can feel an almost spiritual link to the land there where. And the food cant be beat.

Simply put, it has soul.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Interesting this thread should become active again. I didn't make it last year but some friends and I have decided to go there this June, likely the second week (is that too early?). The plan is to hike from Cowles up to a couple of the lakes, base camp and day hike up to Katherine. It seems like a great area with so many different trails to explore. Their plan is to head into Santa Fe the last day for a room/showers and eats. I've been to La Choza and Tecalote (an old favorite for breakfast), because I don't like to deal with the crowds downtown. Any other suggestions?

Galen Benson
    BPL Member

@wanttoknow

NM is sweet in June
    Spring flowersGood eating

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Fell in love with the Pecos.

Enchantment in the Sangres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools