Topic

Advice on choosing a hiking shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice on choosing a hiking shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Bradley

@patojo

Locale: Berkshire County

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am looking to invest in a nice long-sleeved shirt for hot weather hiking. I am looking for something that will help me manage my copious perspiration, keep the sun and bugs off, and stand up to briers and brambles reasonably well. Anyone have their own druthers regarding a polyester t-shirt (I was looking at Mountain Hardware’s Justo Trek) vs. a nylon sun shirt (I was considering a RailRiders Equator-HT Top)?

Much appreciated!

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I've been using a cheap polyester t-shirt, short sleeves.

I haven't tried it yet, but I just got a button-up fishing shirt ($30, Field & Stream brand at Dick's Sporting Goods) which is long-sleeved, collar, stretchy polyester, and has a vented mesh panel in the back. Columbia makes a similar one, but this was slightly more comfortable in the store and cheaper. I also treated it with permethrin.

A nylon shirt won't wick and dry as well as polyester, but nylon is more durable.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Was hoping to see some feedback on favorite summer hiking shirts too. I seem to buy a new synthetic shirt every year only to go back to cotton. They always feel too hot and humid. The fast drying nylon seems to work great in pants -just not in the shirts.

I tend to use thin, close woven, cotton LS dress shirts. Feels cool when hot but they're still thin enough to dry overnight. Costco's Hathaway brand are inexpensive and no iron. Dark colors are too hot, light ones show dirt, blues are said to attract mosquitoes, tie-dyes draw hippies…

nerdy but comfortable

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Cap 2 breathes very very well but may snag if bushwhacking, Nylon is very durable but doesn't breath as well. So depends on what/where your doing.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'm still wearing my old Columbia PFG long sleeve, button op front shirt. Designed for fishermen. Dries fast. The button front does give some venting options. Does not give sign of wearing out. Nylon ripstop. Something like SPF 30 also. Vented back. I think I paid $20 at Sports Authority.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ex Officio Air Strip Lite is my favorite. The original Air Strip is probably better for bushwacking. The REI Sahara is another to look at.

If you really perspire heavily, a silk weight wicking polyester tee may be cooler. I have a GoLite C-Thru long sleeve (discontinued) that is super light and wicks well. I don't like them skin tight. I would have to refer you to others here for advice on current polyester wicking shirts. If they are good, you can feel it drawing the moisture off your skin when you put it on. Of course, you want white or other very light colors. Running stores are good sources if you don't find what you want in the hiking world. The wicking tees work for base layers and sleep, and they wash and dry well on the trail.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

+1 on the Airstrip lite. Very cool, good sun protection, and quite a bit more durable than I had expected–I've been thru quite a bit of brush in mine without any snags

k web

@kbweb

Locale: Tacoma, WA

My RR Eco-Mesh shirt is my go to shirt for hot weather hiking. It can go from soaked to fully dry in a few minutes. The mesh panels, back vent and neck collar allow it to vent well. And its durable.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

This is the leader so far. Appreciative for the input and glad folks have found something that works for them. Any other votes before before I bust out the card?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Check out the Railriders Bone Flats shirt as well. I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking at one for a trip on the JMT late this summer.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

My darker colored air strip lite shirts faded badly in just a few trips…fyi.

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

I really like this shirt. It is 1.5 oz/yd nylon as opposed to the 2.5 oz/yd for all the other summer weight RR shirts and the Ex Officio shirts. It has a great hand and is way cooler than the others. Certainly not as tough, that's the trade-off for cooler and lighter.

Nice stand-up collar for neck shade. Remove the velcro dots that hold the collar down as they engage while active with the collar up, thus exposing your neck.

For all RR shirts: don't wash or dry them with bras or other clothing that have hooks. The hooks snag the mesh.

The BIG negative is the cost of the Bone Flats; like $79! I think this is WAY too high and maybe they will see a correction if they don't sell. This is still less than the Ex Officio. There is also a QC issue with the sewing on the chest pockets. Nothing serious, they are aware of it, and will make any problem right regarding a defect.

I have 3 and wear them almost every day when it's over 80F.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The exofficios are on sale alot at sierra trading post. Never pay full price for them.

L. T.

@guinness1759

I received a Craghoppers catalog a few weeks ago. It looks like some of their line is treated with a bug protection called Nosilife. Anyone use their stuff?

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Is a great shirt in my opinion. For warm weather, roll up the sleeves and un-button the front. It has a vent in the back and vents under the arm pits. The collar can pop up and protect your neck from the sun. Quick drying too. If the weather changes and is cooler, roll down the sleeves and button up the front. Kind of like a convertible! Any shirt you wear under a backpack in warm weather will get sweaty, I've found that when stopping for a break it will dry in the sun in about 10 minutes.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

What is the difference between the REI Sahara and Columbia Silver Ridge shirts? Both are nylon, button front, convertible arms, and a venting back.

I have a few of the Columbia shirts and they are nice for travel but the fabric feels a little rough and gets uncomfortable for extended hiking. How does the Sahara compare?

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I've got the Sahara. Great shirt. Seems pretty similar to the Columbia shirt. Anyway, the Sahara breaths nice and blocks the sun and skeeters. And its a bit cheaper than some of the others.

Matthew Bradley

@patojo

Locale: Berkshire County

Will report after it arrives and I get a couple of days use out of it!

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

I am also a big fan of the Air Strip Lite and the REI Sahara. I just picked up a Air Strip Lite for 30% off at A16 here in San Diego.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

After a couple uses I found the Sahara to be a bit clammy when it gets real sweaty, probably because it's 100% nylon, no polyester. I'm trying an REI Polartech Power Dry half zip now, much more breathable and I love the zip for venting. Can anyone comment on how effective and/or important a UPF rating is on a shirt? The power dry has a really open thread to it, you can hold it up and practically see through it. Like many of us, I'll be spending lots of time this summer on the trail in the sun, and to be honest I never really thought about UV rays penetrating clothing before, but I have sensitive skin and might be leaning towards a RailRiders or something similar with a UPF rating of at least 15.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I most recently used a Cabelas guidewear II longsleeve shirt. It has alot of features that I appreciate: TALL sizes, lots of useful pockets, pit zips, extendable collar for sun protection, and vented back. I have been super impressed with it so far. Also, it is nylon and quick drying. It is also on sale right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Guidewear174-GXII8482-Long-Sleeve-Shirt-150-Tall/722878.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dguidewear%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=guidewear&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Eric Marcano
    BPL Member

@ericm

Locale: Southcentral Texas

My go-to shirt right now is the RR Adventure top. It's very comfortable, very airy, dries fast, easy to wash, and looks great. I felt like a million bucks in the AT recently while wearing it.

I also have the Bone Flats, which I've trained in extensively. The material is much lighter but interestingly enough, this causes a better drape against the skin which results in a more clammy feel. In contrast, the Adventure top is barely heavier and seems to allow for better ventilation.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Eric, how well do the sleeves roll up on the RR Adventure?

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

If I need total upper body sun/bug protection, I like a button front nylon shirt like the REI Sahara shirt I mentioned previously. Breaths good but also keeps the bugs at bay with a tighter weave and material that causes the shirt to stand off the body. Long sleeve tee shirts are generally made of a material with a very loose weave. So, the bugs can get right through. Plus that type of material tends to drape closer to the body, but it does help with blocking sun. Just not good for bugs. I always were a loose weave short-sleeve shirt and carry the Sahara shirt in my pack, day hiking, or backpacking. -I have also worn an Exofficio shirt and it did all the things I mentioned above very well. But pretty spensive' no matter how you look at it. I do hope that a very light weight wind shirt will come out in the next year that will be comfortable against the skin and breath very well as possible. That could help me drop 5-6 ounces. Good luck in your search.

Richard Peters

@rhpeters

Try the Mountain Hardwear Canyon shirt. I think they have it dialed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools