Topic

DIY Meteor Bivy by MLD Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Meteor Bivy by MLD Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Loren Baginski

@bags4266

I am planning to make one of these using MLD's plan's. My question to anyone who has one is if I could fit a air pad that's 2.5" high without compressing my bag? Or should I add extra material in the bottom part? thanks

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The Six Moon Design Meteor Bivy plans were too small for me to get a Neoair in, with my bag and self. I would increase both the bottom and the top pieces.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

I'm a pretty thin guy (6'0 160lbs), and in the MYOG Meteors I have made in the past, it has fit me, a neoair, and a SD Nitro 30 just fine. YMMV though

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

My meteor has a 3 inch bathtub floor … made by adding 6 inches to the width of the floor piece, all other dimensions match the design. It's fine with size neoair regular … only marginally with a neoair large.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I was thinking along the same lines, and being 6'2" – 225lbs, I went with a 5" bathtub floor and put in some fiberglass rods (form an old kite) to hold them up with some tie out loops. I first dipped the ends in plasti-dip to make them more blunt so they won't tear through the fabric. Maybe it's overkill but it's still a fun project.

My floor is rectangular – 30" x 84".
    smd custom meteor

I drew it up in Solidworks as a sheet metal part so I can make flat patterns for cutting the fabric. It may not be perfect, but should be close enough… It's still under construction, but I'll post back whenever I get it done.

BM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools