Topic

Sources for powdered Almond milk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Sources for powdered Almond milk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

So far, I've been unable to find a powdered coconut that is free of casein, which I'm allergic to. I've heard of "vegan" powdered coconut, but so far every one I've seen has casein in it–it's something to do with fat separation or something.

I'd love to use coconut powder, if you can give me a source that is truly vegan, I'd be all over it!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Looks like you're correct and apparently you can't make it without the casien as an emulsifier.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

FYI. Almond milk has a low caloric content. (The dairy section Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk IS delicious!) It is nothing like coconut milk in terms of nutrition or consistency…or flavor. (I would be interested in powdered coconut milk though!)

You can buy NOW brand powdered soy milk on Amazon.com… http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Instant-Powder-20-Ounce/dp/B003J4M8HW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1340782593&sr=8-15&keywords=powdered+soy It is unsweetened. I have used it quite a bit. It makes pretty good hot chocolate. (I use Green and Black's chocolate powder…it's vegan.) I usually add a bit of instant coffee to this. I package this up as large single servings in snack size zip locks. Next time, I may add a bit of chili pepper. When adding hot water, I add just a little at first and stir it VERY well; then I add the rest of the water…less clumps. NOW works well in porridge too. I premix my porridge — various quick cooking grains, dried fruit, nuts, powdered soy etc in individual packets.

Beware of Better Than Milk brand "soy beverage"…it is full of synthetic crap and tastes terrible.

(I refuse to own a dehydrator!)

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

thanks for the info on doing this. I never even thought about dehydrating it.

BTW I prefer the Blue Diamond unsweetened over the Silk brand. To me it just taste better…DYFAM :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Of all the brands out there for ready to drink, So Delicious is my favorite, for both coconut and almond milks. Their almond milks are bolstered with protein I might add.

But why refuse to own a dehydrator? ;-) It can be a fun tool!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"But why refuse to own a dehydrator?"

I don't know, either. That's what heats my home during the winter.

Plus, you get to eat all of your mistakes.

–B.G.–

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Powdered coconut milk seems to be available, imported from the Philippines. It is sold out on Amazon at the moment. http://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-Tropicale-Coconut-Milk-Powder/dp/B00487XXF0

Please note: I have NOT used this product! I haven't a clue as to what sort of nasty stuff might be in it.

I would be interested in reports from the field or home experiments.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Coconut cream powder can be found in most Asian stores and online, although many contain lactose. They can be used as milk just the same. But read the labels, the brand from Thailand are more trustworthy IMO.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

You don't need to necessarily go to an Asian market or order online. I found these in my small local grocery stores…

Asian Home Gourmet Coconut Cream Powder

The product is very, very good.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools