Topic

Sources for powdered Almond milk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Sources for powdered Almond milk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Anybody know of a good source for powdered Almond milk in the US? I can't seem to find any domestically.

Thanks,
    Chris

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Unless you make it yourself it can be very hard to find a non-dairy almond milk powder. I find versions of it in Asian grocery stores but they have dairy derivatives in them – and are pretty sweet.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Thanks for the info Sarah. My wife can't do dairy so that probably won't work. Could you point me in the right direction for making our own?

BTW, we're going to try your instant guacamole on a trip next weekend. Mmmm guacamole!

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Search Amazon for soy milk powder and you'll find that. Almond milk, I don't know.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If memory holds Laurie posted something here a few months back on that?? Not sure though. But….I have seen it discussed in vegan cookbooks though! Kind of labor intensive though.

IMO, the soy and rice milk powders are good enough (although I drink only almond at home – YUM!) and they are dairy free. Amazon is an easy way to get them, although I find the big tubs sold at many grocery stores with the shelf stable milk alternatives – look up high. A tub is over $10 but is BIG.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Recipe for making your own almond milk.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

We dry our own but it isn't any more labor intensive than drying any other food for the trail. However, that's because I usually use a commercially prepared almond milk such as Blue Diamond. Sometimes I dry the chocolate one as a treat for my son – he loves it. The process makes a very fine powder. It's in my new book which hit shelves in the US this past week but if you give me 5 or 10 minutes I can pull the recipe from the manuscript files and post it.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

That was much quicker than I expected (I must be organized this morning – lol). Be sure to follow the tips as they will make your life much easier – almond milk is a little tricky to get off the trays because it becomes very brittle and somewhat sharp when dried. I use a Magic Bullet or a coffee grinder dedicated to spices and dried foods for making the powder. In other words… don't use a coffee grinder that you use to grind coffee or you'll have flavor transfer.

Almond Milk Powder
    From Another Fork in the Trail © 2011 Laurie Ann March

Dehydration Time: 15–18 hours
    Makes 2 servings

The writing of this book came with a quest to find instant almond milk powder. Of course, you can make almond milk with ground almonds, but it takes about 24 hours and then you have to deal with the pulp. My husband, Bryan, was off to Ohio and I asked him to look in some of the American grocery stores to see if such a product existed south of our border. I already knew that it was going to be a fruitless search because the internet hadn’t turned up anything either. When he came up empty handed he said to me, “You have food dehydrators; why don’t you just make your own?” So I did—right after I gave my forehead a smack for not seeing the obvious.

2 cups almond milk, sweetened or unsweetened

At Home
    Pour 2 cups of almond milk on a solid dehydrator tray. Dehydrate at 135°F for 15 to 18 hours or until the milk is completely dry and brittle. Remove it from the trays and grind into a fine powder using a coffee grinder or spice grinder. Put the powder in a ziplock freezer bag.

At Camp
    Squish the bag of powder with your fingertips to break up any lumps. To make one cup of almond milk add 1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons to your cup and add enough water to bring the mixture up to 1 cup or about 7/8 cup water. Stir and let hydrate for a few minutes. Stir again before drinking.

Tips
    It is very important to use a solid tray with a lip designed for fruit leather. If you don’t have one you can use plastic wrap or good-quality parchment paper. If you are using parchment paper you need to make a lip on it so that the almond milk won’t flow off the sheet.

Please note that almond milk is dried until brittle and can be a little fussy to get off the tray. I usually put my trays in the freezer for 20 minutes or so and then it comes off easier. It will come off in tiny little pieces. I use a plastic scraper to get some of the pieces up. Sometimes, if I remember, I use plastic wrap over the solid tray to make removal easier.

I prefer to use sweetened almond milk if we are going to be drinking it straight and unsweetened for use in place of milk in hot chocolate and baking. The sweetened milk will be slightly sticky.

While this recipe is for 1 tray or 2 servings of almond milk, I recommend drying several trays at a time. Besides drying the unsweetened vanilla almond milk, I often dry sweetened chocolate almond milk and sweetened vanilla almond milk, so we have variety.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

IMO Silk Almond is miles better tasting than Blue Diamond. It is thicker and richer tasting and still better calorie wise.

If one is looking for shelf stable brands and not fresh-in-the-dairy-aisle Pacific Foods is a good brand, especially for unsweetened.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Sounds like there might be hope! We have a dehydrator so I'll try it. Thanks for the detailed post Laurie! I will post back on this thread with how it goes.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I'm trying to dry some almond milk, and I don't think it's going well. I set up the dehydrator yesterday about 11am, put saran wrap on my fruit leather trays, and poured on the almond milk. Mind you, I have the cheapest dehydrator on the planet—it was free from a friend who wanted it out of their garage badly enough to deliver it to me in person! no fan, no temp control. There is a thin skim of slightly congealed almond milk around the edges of some trays, and the bottom tray has an area of pinkish growth—I'm thinking mildew.

So, I'm guessing that it needs a fan to keep air moving, I poured too much on the trays at once, or my dehydrator temp isn't high enough. So far, I haven't been able to find rice milk powder locally, so I guess I'll have to order some if I want hot chocolate on the trail.

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

We were able to dry the almond milk no problem. We do have a nice dehydrator with a fan and temp control. Basically we made "bowls" with parchment paper and put the Silk Almond milk in, then followed Laurie's directions.

Laurie,
    The freezer trick worked great. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I find the little parchment bowls work very well. I do use the freezer trick for a lot of things. I am notorious for getting food glued to the trays (sometimes it is the type of food but I have been known to forget about the dehydrator and over-dry the odd tray or two). It was the Nesco sales guy, Rick, who first suggested the freezer thing to me. It certainly makes life easier.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

My local health store, Artesian Natural Foods (in Stockton CA), carry many good selections of dry milk, soy, almond, goat. This also have a couple of other choices I forget.

Plus some great non-sweetened coco powder, coconut (slices, chips, and chopped).

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Powdered goat milk would be an interesting find. Having access to dried almond milk would save me a lot of time too.

Michael, I have a favor please. Next time you are in the store could you sneak a peak at the brand name of the goat milk powder for me and the almond as well. I'm going to speak to the manager at the health food store I frequent and see if he can get it in for me.

Thanks in advance.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I just called the Artesian Natural Foods (in Stockton CA) and they said they don't carry powdered almond milk.

Laurie, my local organic market carries Meyenberg goat milk powder in a can. I have some at home – be happy to mail you some if you'd like to try it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You can get the Meyenberg goat milk powder at Whole Foods – and the have the elusive single serving packets as well.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Powdered almond milk has been the most elusive of products for me… lol.

I may take you up on that Douglas but now that I know the name I am going to try and source it here first (and I'll also check our local-ish Whole Foods). If I come up empty handed I might take you up on your offer to try it. Will let you know. Thanks so much for that too.

It's a bummer the second (vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free) book is already out – I could have had a lot of fun with the goat milk… lol. Too many foods to play with… too little time.

Stephanie Cote

@spcote

Thank you for this thread…was wondering how to find/make powdered almond milk for an upcoming trip.

We have powdered skim goat milk powder at the local health food store from Hewitt's.

http://www.hewittsdairy.com/our-products/powder/

Haven't tried but I buy their goat milk yogourt all the time.

Will try dehydrating some Blue Diamond today…

Laural Bourque

@lauralbaby

Locale: PNW

Could you toast almonds then grind them in a coffee/spice grinder to avoid the paste issues?

Hanna McG

@gaiter

Just my opinion, Trader Joes makes the best Almond Milk, they haven't added sugar to it like other companies, even the unsweetened taste good, it has a little sugar just from the almonds.

Powdered goats milk is an easy to find option, but I don't care much for the taste, any luck on finding powdered soy milk?

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I often get powdered soy milk at the bulk store. I actually like it and find it creamier (great in granola and muesli) than powdered cow's milk.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I was wondering how much almond milk powder you'd have to use for making your own dairy-free, soy-free hot chocolate. Most recipes I see use about 1/2-1 c milk powder–that's a lot of almond milk to dehydrate! I know that Laurie Ann's book cites 1 T powder to 7/8 cup water to rehydrate plain almond milk (I think, correct me Laurie!). Any suggestions on that?

Ben F

@tekhna

I have no idea how this would work with cold water, but i wonder how sahlab powder would work as a milk substitute. It's pretty tasty, but it might also be hard to find without piles of sugar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salep

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Why almond? Powdered coconut is easy to find and a better source of good fat.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools