Topic

Mid June Backpacking Trip Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mid June Backpacking Trip Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anita Slater

@iamabugru2

Help! Due to work constrictions (forced to take time off), my husband and I want to do a mid-June Backpacking Trip 4-5 days. Don't have a real choice in dates. I know under normal conditions that can be rough. We are moderate level hikers. I have been looking into the south Sierras trips, like Rae Loops but skipping the loop part part if not passable. We would be heading out from the Bay Area.

Also wondering about the Trinity Alps, any suggestions or comments for Mid=June?

Thought of Lost Coast too, but I think in June it will be mostly fog.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Mid June in the Sierras might be tough, especially if you don't have ice ax and cramp on skills going over Glen Pass….I would settle for something a tad lower or the Lost Coast

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I would settle for something a tad lower or the Lost Coast"

Some people just returned from there, and they said that it had a lot of trail-thrashing. They said that the flowers and scenery were great, but it was much rougher than they expected.

Here is a weird suggestion: Lassen Volcanic National Park… the lower elevation parts.

–B.G.–

Anita Slater

@iamabugru2

Did you mean the Lost Coast had the Trail thrashing? I have heard mixed reviews on the Lost Coast. I want to see it but I think June it could be socked in Fog so it makes for wet damp hiking the whole time. I think this month of May is when it is stellar.

Lassen? I haven't done much research about any hikes there? Any come to mind off the top of your head?

And Trinity Alps? I have heard good things (just general) but not sure how June would be there? I thought it could be a good compromise of not getting into the sierras.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I can't say about the Lost Coast since I wasn't there. A guy just reported on his trip from this past weekend. Apparently the trails through the brush are not officially maintained, and the unofficial maintenance is spotty. There was some talk about a local group that might need to adopt it and do maintenance.

Lassen is kind of a neat park if you like volcanoes and sulfur fumaroles. I don't know when they will plow out the snow from the park road, so attempting to get high up the peak would be doubtful this year. However, there are some good low elevation parts of the park, especially the northeast. I haven't heard any reports from that park yet this year because of the snow.

–B.G.–

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

If you go there mid-June, I expect you will find plenty of lovely creek-side destinations, but most of the lakes and trails over the ridges could still be under a fair bit of snow. Higher meadows will likely be patchy snow and very soggy. You can keep an eye on the road and trail report the rangers soon begin putting out – it's issued weekly and will likely begin for the season in a few weeks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You probably won't see any fog. Not to say it's impossible. We just don't get as much as we did here 10-15 years ago. Could be warm and lovely. No problems with the coastal trail itself. It is true that the inland trails are in poor shape though.
    Trinities had a big snowy winter this year. June could be possible for some of the lower elevation hikes but you could be pushing your luck for access. Depends on how fast it warms up in the next six weeks or so.
    Russian Wilderness is lower in elevation, and no crowds.

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

+1 to the Russians, Ken. Looking at some snow sensors and comparing to last year (SCT, SHM, MB3 are the ones I refer to), despite the heavy snowpack things are so far melting quite a bit more rapidly than last year.

Paul Locasio

@plocasio

You might want to consider hiking south from Kennedy Meadows into the Domeland Wilderness. Not used very much. No permits/no fees. PCT skirts east boundary. Cameras views: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/hnx/cameras.php (Go to last 4 cameras from Bald Mountain) I have this as a backup plan in case of too much snow in Little Lakes Valley.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools