Topic

MYOG Materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Materials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

I second the request for hydrophobe thread in small quantities.

I agree that there’s no need to re-invent the wheel, but I’d probably be interested in buying notions from bpl. As somebody only looking for one project’s worth of material at a time, it isn’t worth shipping if I’m just going to buy some stuff for one project. More avid MYOGers obviously don’t have this problem.

Patterns would be incredible, especially for clothing, with clear instructions on modifying it to get custom fits.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Ummm,

I’ve got to ask my favorite blunt question “What problem are we solving here?”

re: Small quantities of hydrophobe thread
    1) Sure, 6000yds is a life time supply for almost every MYOGer but at $12.95 the cost is about the same as a single yard of many of the fabrics we want to use. I don’t see an obstacle there.
    2) If it were manufactured and packaged in small quantitiesm don’t ya think you’d be able to find it already?
    3) I don’t know the cost of labor in Bozeman but what do you think BPL’d have to charge for repackaged thread?

re: notions … already availble at multiple other sources

re: patterns … already availble at multiple other sources

On the general topic, I’m thinking that BPL would best serve itself and us by focusing on what they already do well rather than being distracted trying to break into a market segment that is already quite well served.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

I took Ryan as asking a personal question of what we’d like to buy from BPL. Here’s my thinking:

re: products available from other sources. I agree–see comment on wanting to buy things from one store to save on shipping. This is plainly a small factor, but I was asked what I wanted/what I might buy, but it’s enough that I would buy it.

re: patterns. This is true, but… in this sense, almost *everything* BPL sells is available from other sources. Patterns accompanied by BPL style reviews of items made with the patterns, and the quality that would likely result, would be great. I had hoped we’d see more of this out of Jay Ham’s column (I’ll probably renew my subscription if we do), but another option would be to sell *BPL developed* patterns through the store.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Hi Ryan,

Snaps.

Light, nylon snaps.

Snaps.

It doesn’t take much to make me happy.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Eric,
    Yep. Snaps – nylon. Good idea.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Hey Vick,
    And while we’re at it, how about a snap installation tool?

OK. Maybe I got a little wild there for a moment.

Snaps.
    Just snaps.
    Just nylon snaps.
    Snaps.

Ben Strickland

@ben_strickland

Locale: Georgia

Would like to second David’s request for primaloft one. Also, if you could source some merino wool suitable for long johns and such that would be amazing.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

So, how is the fabric development going? the Poly/Spectra would be sweet, and light eVent would be nice to have a source for.

Paul Gilbert

@paul-gilberttalk21-com

I've only ever seen Siliconised Cordura in Sea to Summit & Jacks r Better Stuffsacks (both different weights and finishes), but the impression I got is that somewhere in between is a bulletproof silnylon!?

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Don't know if this is still possibly being considered, but wanted to advance the idea for discussion again. The one thing that has held back some of my projects is the unavailability of many lightweight performance fabrics to the general public.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Scott, what exactly are you looking for?

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

A seam ripper. The market is so flooded with cheap ones, I can't find a really good one. I don't know who to ask. Razors, etc. can suffice, but a ripper that cuts heavy polyester felled seams, without touching the light nylon…It might justify more than $20.

Since BPL decided to carry scales, I haven't noticed threads on "which scale?" These are readily available everywhere from gourmet stores to gas stations, but the variety boggles. Like the medical and hygenic supplies sold here, the value is in the endorsement.

Free BPL seam ripper with the purchase of a scale?

edit: nevermind, I am now using a #11 x-acto.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Speaking of small quantities, how about small pieces of Kenyon K+ Tape. As a promotion, maybe stencil or stamp the NEW LOGO on them. It could be safety reflective ink.
    As opposed to the backcountry.com or steepandcheap stickers that they throw in their mailings, useful and visible on the trail.

Howabout ultralight velcro, e.g. for quilts.

Most of all, a fabric treatment that repels water and does not compromise breathability or add much weight! A couple of the items in the Outdoor Retailer review look real promising. Is this not the wholly grail?

A quite common request is foam for backpack harness, shoulder and hip. Maybe some prelaminated dual density.
    The mesh used on Golite Ion is really cool on the shoulders.

An affordable home model of (ultrasonic?) seam welder. heh.

Various elastic and elastic fabrics for cuffs etc. Tends to be smaller pieces that you need.

Ankle-sprain-proof ultralight trail runners. With built-in air casts or something that you pump up like Nike.

Buckypaper. It's real

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

There are numerous fabrics widely used in the outdoor clothing industry that just don't seem to be available to the general public. Specifically the really advanced WPB fabrics: eVent, Gore Pro, etc. I really believe I could make more functional, higher-performing clothes than are available from manufacturers, if I could get my hands on the fabric!

Another is merino knit in yardages; I've never been able to find it for sale. The Pertex fabrics would be nice to work with too, especially Quantum Endurance and Microlight. I've found Equilibrium, but can't seem to find it anymore.

I imagine part of the problem is minimum order quantities from the fabric manufacturers. I could buy 10-15 yards of any of these fabrics, but not a factory roll of 500-1000 yards. I don't know if this is accurate for these particular textiles makers; I am more familiar with upholstery fabrics and the like, where large minimum orders are often required. I also worked for a tent manufacturer for a while, and our massive orders for the special cotton duck we used were the only reason the textile company continued producing it.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

yeah, if I could just get my hands on some of that 7 denier nylon… i could rule the world!

now about that scale… i have seen others and purchased one myself that cost $36 and had increments of 1/10 gram. 1 gram increments is close, but when measuring down or other uber-light materials you need better. And how big is the weighing platform? that is a huge (or in this case small) factor (at least to my needs)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Specifically the really advanced WPB fabrics: eVent, Gore Pro, etc.
    These fabrics are normally sold under a strict licence. To buy them you have to pass quality control checks, such as having an approved seam-sealing machine. Also your designs must pass quality controls.

Is this 'restrictive trade'? Yes, and no. For instance, Gore really do provide guarantees on gear they authorise. To do that they need some control.

In other cases, it is sometimes the case that the fabric is only made up to order. Dye lots etc. The factories do not see themselves as being retail suppliers.

However, a few companies like OWFINC and Seattle do buy rolls where they can. They also buy remnants – sometimes in rather large quantities.

Cheers

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Thanks Roger. I had forgotten about the licensing agreements for the WPBs'. I'd still love some eVent, even just 5 yds. of the 30d 3-layer. Oh well, I can dream …

I know you're not a fan of merino, but do you know of any sources for yardage? I have never seen it on any of the fabric retailer sites for sale.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Scott

Merino yardage – I doubt it. I have spoken to one of the players in the game and my understanding is that it is all made to order, custom.

Biased opinion: having done a lot of wool testing, I don't use it myself.

Cheers

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas
    Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Huzefa thanks a million for that link! Didn't know about Shelby; they have some great stuff that I've never seen offered for sale. This brings three projects up from the back-burner, now that I can procure materials. Thanks again Huzefa!

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

You can also try extremtextil.de, if you don't mind the shipping from Europe. I think they have some merino i stock, aside from other interesting fabrics (i.e. pertex Quantum). And the prices are far lower than Shelby's.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Considering this thread is from 2006, I'm guessing that the BPL materials idea got canned? If not, my vote goes for EVENT yardage absolutely. Even if it's the 3-layer stuff like Integral Designs and Rab use, I'd definitely buy some. The problem is that the current ID and Rab eVent jackets are so astronomically expensive, so if I could buy 5 yards or so of eVENT yardage, even if it were $20/yd, and make my own jacket and pants, I could save myself a lot of money.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools