Topic

Fastpacking Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fastpacking Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Just curious if there is really a difference between fastpacking gear and ultralight gear? And if so could someone please point me in the direction of a good Fastpacking article/website/blog/gear list anything.

Thanks everyone!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Being from the UK, I'm not sure what the term "fastpacking" means anyway. Taken literally though, it gives rise to a thought about lightweight gear in general, and the compromises involved. I'm prepared to carry a couple more ounces on an item if it means I'm not wasting hill time babying fragile or fiddly equipment.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There are NO definitions.

A few people have tried to promote the term 'fastpacking' in competition with UL and SUL, but it hasn't caught on.

Cheers

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Sorry Roger, but you're wrong.

UL is 12-25lb baseweight
    SUL is 8-12lb baseweight
    XUL is 5-8lb baseweight
    SXUL is below 5lb baseweight
    Fast packing is SXUL plus maintaining a 4.5mph pace over 14 hours each day consuming more than 1350 calories per hour.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Sounds like a quick way to lose weight, unless the superdooperlight baseweight is overpowered with heavyweight amounts of food.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

"Sorry Roger, but you're wrong.

UL is 12-25lb baseweight
    SUL is 8-12lb baseweight
    XUL is 5-8lb baseweight
    SXUL is below 5lb baseweight
    Fast packing is SXUL plus maintaining a 4.5mph pace over 14 hours each day consuming more than 1350 calories per hour."

I got a chuckle out of that Chris, since I have a different definition for all of those, implying that there are indeed no firm definitions.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

"UL is 12-25lb baseweight
    SUL is 8-12lb baseweight
    XUL is 5-8lb baseweight
    SXUL is below 5lb baseweight"

I think pretty much all of this is at odds with what most people on here would tell you…
    Seems like all of it is silly arbitrary definitions of nothing though, as I think Roger was speaking to. If I only consume 1349 calories/hr, hike 13 hours, and pace out at 4.4 mph, I'm not a fastpacker; yep pretty arbitrary.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

So I guess in Fast packing you average a 13.33 mile just a little faster you are running a slow paced mile or you could realistically beat the 24 hour cut off point in the western states 100 race for fun . In less you want to beat the course record of 15 hour 7 minute become a ultra marathoner.
    Terry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_States_Endurance_Run

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>> UL is 12-25lb baseweight
    >> SUL is 8-12lb baseweight
    >> XUL is 5-8lb baseweight

Woo hoo! Suddenly I'm UL and pretty close to SUL! Man, I'm good!

And here I've spent hours pouring over the my gear and technique… Turns out your way was MUCH easier.

And for now I'm going to put 14 pounds in the RRSDUL category (really, really super-dooper ultralight).

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Alright so I guess "definitions" is a touchy word :) but I have noticed that it seems "fastpackers" or "SUL's" use some pretty cool techniques to get the most mileage of of there gear per weight. I'm just looking for some more good ideas. I found Matt's Polycryo Tube Tent idea awesome and I'm seriously thinking about making one. Since I never really do trips longer than 1 night I could really shave some weight off my current "blue tarp" shelter and still be bug free.

So to get back to my original question: Where are some good resources on the web to check out?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Pretty sure fastpacking just means trail running mixed with backpacking. If that requires you do go SUL, then so-be-it.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Fast packing is SXUL plus maintaining a 4.5mph pace over 14 hours each day consuming more than 1350 calories per hour."
    Could you reference an official source for this. I use the term fastpacking when describing trips where maximum mileage is the goal. 4.5mph average is not hiking it's trail running. I cant even maintain a 4.5 mph pace and I am a very fast hiker. Also I wouldn't consider gear selection or an arbitrary limit to apply, it's more of mindset.

James Neal

@laien

Locale: Ozarks

I'm relatively new to this light weight backpacking and I'm curious about who would have the "authority" to set these definitions? Is there some sort of organization? I have been backpacking for nearly 40 years and what has always attracted me to it is that I am only competing with myself. I say HYOH.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fastpacking. Marketing BS originated by Go Lite? Who's name is also now marketing BS.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

"So to get back to my original question: Where are some good resources on the web to check out?"

To start with I recommend posting your current gear list to the "Gear Lists" section along with the kinds of trips you have in mind. That will help people tailor recommendations to your needs and interests. If you have questions about particular pieces of gear or particular techniques, we have forum areas for those as well.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

As Roger stated, there are no official rules, at least not yet.

Come back in another forty years and there may be rules.

When I started this almost thirty years ago, anybody was called ultralightweight if they had 20 pounds of total load or less. Once I got below 15 pounds, I guess I rated. We didn't even have digital scales back then, so we weighed things with difficulty.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Fastpacking. Marketing BS originated by Go Lite? Who's name is also now marketing BS."

Darn it, Ken. Marketing people have to have something constructive to do! Adding new words to our vocabulary is like adding to the Gross National Product.

–B.G.–

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

"I'm relatively new to this light weight backpacking and I'm curious about who would have the "authority" to set these definitions? Is there some sort of organization? I have been backpacking for nearly 40 years and what has always attracted me to it is that I am only competing with myself. I say HYOH."

Exactly, there are no consensus definitions on these things, nor (do I believe) should there be, short of setting yourself a goal for base weight to see if you can meet it. Using it as a bragging right, as is often done, seems silly and arbitrary to me. If 15 pounds of gear yields a rewarding experience for you, great. If 5 pounds flips your skirt, run with it. Not sure why, as human beings, we can never be satisfied with something unless we have a means of labeling it.

As you said, hike your own hike.

James Neal

@laien

Locale: Ozarks

Thanks, Bob. I apologize for the rabbit chasing.

I have to say that I have learned a lot in a short time here and spent a lot of money. However, my trips are much more enjoyable now that I don't feel like a pack mule.

I agree. IMHO I think there are already enough rules out there as it is.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I apologize for the rabbit chasing."

You can chase rabbits all you want. I prefer to play dead like a limp leaf and let the rabbits come to me.

–B.G.–

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

i dont give a f*#@ what you call it, what the gear manufacturers would like you to call it, or what weight bracket you are trying to fit into as long as you are out there gettin amongst it

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools