Topic

looking for back country partners in june

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips looking for back country partners in june

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    leonie sherman

@leonie

Locale: central coastal california

hi there,

i just lost my main back country partner and while still grieving the loss am already sniffing around to see what folks have planned for the last 3 weeks of june and if i might tag along.

i'm mostly a mountaineer, but also enjoy trail hiking, really just in love with wildness. snow camping/ ski touring is my latest obsession. have devoted the past 3 years to exploring the high sierra but have also explored the southern alps, candian rockies, himalaya, southeast alaska, etc etc.

not sure if this is the right place to make such a plea, but get in touch if it is and my apologies if it is not.

thanks

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Leonie, this is the right place for that. Where are you looking to backpack?

leonie sherman

@leonie

hi katharina

thanks for responding. i just up-dated my profile so you can get some info about me there.

i live in santa cruz. i have a fairly serious relationship with the high sierra, but we are non-monogamous. i think late june is going to be a slushy mess in the high sierra so am open to many other possibilities- trinity alps? siskyou? lost coast? places in washington or oregon?

do be in touch. i have a personal email posted through some wizardry or other so feel free to be in touch through that as well.

happy trails
    leonie

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

There has been talk of a Lost Coast hike in June here. people coming up from the Bay area. Think around the 9th.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hi Leonie. I'll pm you. Welcome to BPL!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Leonie, there is always trips being posted and many of us from the Bay Area are always lookng for others to hike with. Your local so throw out some ideas. The Sierra's won't be happening until sometime in July. What is your idea of mileage, elevation gain, places???

leonie sherman

@leonie

hi ken,

june is turning out to be a tricky time to organize a trip. right now i am hoping for 5 days in the king's range at the end of may and then trying to figger which section of the PCT will be most spectacular and least bogged down with thigh high post-holing the last 3 weeks of june.

i do a lot of my trips off trail in the sierra (i did roper's high route 3 summers ago and have been riffing off that every summer since then)so mileage is hard to estimate, plus varies so widely with the terrain. i often am moving 6-8 hours a day, on trail i reckon between 10-15 miles, about 1500-3000ft elevation gain and loss a day is comfortable for me, though i have done way more and way less, both in terms of miles and elevation. i am not ultra-light, as i occasionally bring along the baby banjo featured in my photo. figure i am never done with that the way i get done with a book.

anyways i will keep poking around. probably best to start with a smaller trip with folks anyways. thanks for replying.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

I'd love to do a quick weekend (maybe 3 day) trip in June, whether to the King Range, Trinity Alps, or something else in N. Cal. and not covered in snow. I'll watch the forums, or PM me if interested.

leonie sherman

@leonie

hi nathan,

i am interested, please PM me so we can discuss details.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nathan. Your PM's are not yet set up.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

Ken–

Sorry about that. Problem should be fixed.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Hey, Leonie, welcome to BPL!

I also wanted to voice my eager interest in tagging along on anything that comes up. I just walked 23 miles at Pt. Reyes last week (first 20+ day EVER) so I'm pretty confident I can hold my own.

In the next few months I was planning on posting some Sierra trips for July – Sept on here to see if there is any interest. I can't wait till the snow clears! I'm interested in either short 1-2 night weekends, or 3-5 day longer hikes. Anything more than that might be a challenge as far as work and such (I know I'm not alone on this)

I had so much fun at the Henry Coe thing this year I hope I can see some of you again this summer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools