I need one that will hold up with my
stove, fuel, spoons and cups inside it.
Mine has the frying pan for a lid and I don't use it.
I want to just wrap a thick rubber band I have around it to keep it closed.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
I need one that will hold up with my
stove, fuel, spoons and cups inside it.
Mine has the frying pan for a lid and I don't use it.
I want to just wrap a thick rubber band I have around it to keep it closed.
Thanks for any suggestions!
http://www.fourdog.com makes Ti lids for the SP 1400. I just got lids for my 600 and 900 and I'm really happy with them.
Thanks for the link!
I had seen that thread a long time ago but couldn't find it.
Cheers,
Craig
Craig, just a heads up–I recently bought 4 lids from Don, one of which was for my 1400 pot. It didn't fit the pot, nor the SP bowl, which has the same diameter (and the 1400 lid is supposed to fit it as well). I tried everything to shim both the bowl and the lid, but it just fits way too tight to work. My bowl is maybe 4+ years old, so I contacted Snow Peak to see if maybe they used to make their bowls a bit smaller than they do now. They replied that nothing has changed. I contacted Don about my problem, and he has graciously offered to give me a refund. I'll probably just keep it, since it actually does fit a 1-year old SP bowl, and shipping it back to him would cost a few bucks. I trust Don K. to be honest and honorable, but I think that you should communicate with him when you order one of these from him, to be sure. By the way, the other lids that I received from him were for my 450 cup, 600 pot, and the 900 pot, all of which fit perfectly. I'm wondering if anyone else here has had a problem with their 1400 lid, or if I just got unlucky.
I talked with him and he mentioned the problem you had.
He said he had not had that issue come up before so I
am going to give it a try.
What's the inside/outside radius of your pot rim?
I will measure mine and post it for you.
Craig
What does he charge for that lid?
$14.00 shipped.
Craig, I just measured both the SP bowl with handles, and also the 1400 pot. It appears that they each have an inside diameter of 133 mm. The outside diameter doesn't matter, since the lid is designed to fit inside. When I measured them, I learned that each of them had several different diameters, indicating that they had been squished a tiny bit and making them slightly oval and not perfectly round. That makes sense with the bowl, as I use it quite a bit, squeeze it into my pack, etc. The pot is a different story, as I have never actually used it. Anyway, I then tried to get them back to proper shape. The lid then fit the 1400 pot perfectly, but I'm having a problem getting the bowl back to proper symmetry so that the lid will fit nicely. So I'm thinking that the tolerances are quite specific, with little margin for a pot/bowl rim that is not precisely circular. I had earlier suggested to Don that he allow a bit more wiggle room in his design. I will now report back to him the findings of a slightly distorted pot. Anyway, it now looks to me that you can make the lid work with your pot, but you might have to occasionally tweak the pot to make the lip almost perfectly circular. For some reason, this doesn't seem to be the case with my bowl.
Ken, the 1400 lid is $15, shipped. Don is a good man, and he'll make sure you are happy with your purchase.
Edit: Don knocked a buck off each of my 4 lids as a package deal, making the 1400 lid $14.
Thank you. Now the big question I should have asked earlier. How much does it weigh?
I got mine down to .90 oz. (from 1.0 oz.) by swapping out the large stock wooden handle (and its mega screw) with one I made from a slender oak branch I found in the yard, using a Dremel tool, and a new, lighter screw.
As my curiosity got the better of me tonight, I pulled out my backup SP bowls–1 with handles, 2 without. The lid fit 2 of them well, but not one of the bowls without handles. I massaged them to get a pretty round rim, and they all pretty much worked OK with the lid. But the lid had a good amount of play on two of them, and none at all on the third. So I'm thinking that the problem lies with SP's tolerances. I suggested to Don that he make the lids a bit smaller to accomodate the apparent variations with the bowls and pots. I don't think this will be an issue with the smaller diameter cups and pots, as it appears Don has built in plenty of wiggle room for those.
.8 for the SP 900 lid including the bullet proof screw and wood knob.
.45 for the SP 600 lid with knob removed and replaced with cord.
What about the weight for the 1400?
I gave you mine, Ken. You can expect it to come in at 1.0 oz., stock weight.
Sorry I totally missed your post!
Do you have access to a belt sander or a grinder of some sort.you could easily shave off enough to make the lid tolerance little more sloppy.even a palm sander with some 60 grit might work(just take a little longer).
Good morning, Josh. Yeah, I spent over 2 hours trying to shim both the lid and the culprit handled pot with my Dremel. Titanium is a bear to grind, hard as it is. But your belt sander idea makes me think I should hit up one of the local titanium custom bike shops in town, and see if they have a solution. The weather here in CO is still crappy, so I might as well putz with my gear, right?
I purchased a 1400 lid from fourdog.com, and it fits perfectly. Not sure what happened with your lid.
Gary…why not send yours back and have him make one that fits looser?
Craig, Don offered for me to send it back for a refund, but it seems like it's not cost-efficient. You see, I could make the lid fit the 1400 pot nicely, but not the bowl with handles. The issue seems to be with the bowl, more than with the lid. With either the pot or the bowl, if the rim isn't perfectly round, the lid won't fit. I was able to carefully bend the pot rim such that the lid fit nicely, but I can't get the bowl's rim perfectly round. It's close, but not exactly right. I'm going to hit a machine shop and see if they have a way to shim the inside of the bowl's rim. That should solve the problem.
Came across this thread when posting about the Snow Peak 1400 Ti set I have listed for sale in Gear Swamp. In case anyone is looking for lightweight lid material, Ti foil works great for this application – you can get some from Titanium Goat: http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html
Become a member to post in the forums.