Topic

Six Moon Designs Meteor bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Six Moon Designs Meteor bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Any tips or recommendations from anyone who has made a Meteor or something similar? This will be my first home-made piece of gear, but I like to think I'm pretty crafty. Do people find the dimensions listed on the SMD plans to be pretty reasonable? Any additions or things you might do differently? I was thinking possibly a full side zip for easier entry/exit. Good head room for taller users?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Tommy,

"Newton", a member here, made one to his unique tastes & specs, IIRC.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=32133

His looks very nice.

I have one, myself and like it. To my surprise, I haven't missed a full-length zipper. Works fine as is.

Todd

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Tommy,

I did one a while back and I find it quite roomy. I am 5' 10" if I stretch and 225+ pounds.

"Good head room for taller users"?

I'm guessing you are 6' or more in height.

The overall length on the bottom / groundsheet is 90" finished if you use 3/8" seam allowances. Even if you are 6' 6" tall that still leaves you 6" of room lengthwise.

Even though the bottom of the bivy is shown as 96 3/4" in the pattern 3/4" is eaten up in seam allowances and 12" is "turned up" to form the footbox.

"I was thinking possibly a full side zip for easier entry/exit".

It depends on your choice of shelter. I personally would like a left side zipper but my tarp is a front entry. Even if I were to use a left side zip I would still let the zip open up the head of the bivy for ease of entry and exit. If you do a left side zip the bug net ties could be eliminated because the bug net would not be able to be rolled down like the original design. A left / right side zip could work in a monk style tarp.

I used a W/P/B 2.89 oz material from Quest for the top / footend piece. It added some weight to the bivy. What I would do different is use 20D Intrepid DWR .9 oz per yard from OWFInc. for the top / footend piece.

My overall weight came to 8.5 ounces. Six Moon Designs specs the weight out at 7 ounces for their manufactured Meteor including the self stow pocket.

The pattern for the MYOG version does not include the pocket.

Curiously,

"The Meteor Bivy weighs in at a mere 10 ounces and compresses down to the size of a softball".

That quote is from the info on the MYOG pattern and instructions page on Six Moon Designs website.

My MYOG Meteor Bivy

I was satisfied with the final product when I made mine. The ends of the zippers where they meet the seam joining the top and bottom nylon sections can be a little tricky to finish neatly.

Take your time producing the full size patterns and arc guides. The more careful you are doing the patterns and marking of your material the better the finished product will turn out.

Good luck with your project. Go For It! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

I have made one as well. It was also my first sewing project (well along with a tarp I made at the same time), but I found it to be pretty easy.
    I used 1.1oz sil for the bottom, the intrepid from OWFinc that Newton mentioned for the top breathable part, and nanoseeum netting for the top. I also only used half the amount of zipper the plans call for. Mine weighs in at 6.7oz.

Have only got to try it a few times since I made it a couple months ago, but I really like it so far. You'd be suprised at how well the netting blocks wind, and it is so breathable. Not a chance of condensation in that thing.

Good luck

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking 1.1oz nylon for the bottom and 20D momentum90 for the top. Measure twice cut once!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I made one with 1.1 sil bottom and Momentum top. Made mine larger than specified so i could fit my large Neoair and my winter bag. I also extended the length so I could have the option of scooting down towards the foot end for more coverage out of the wind or scooting up for more breathability in warm weather. Increased the netting portion too somewhat so I can rest on my elbows and not be right up against the mesh. Penalty for all the extra room and livability, 10.8 oz. That's with a 3/4 zip down the left side with the zip on the right ending at the edge of the netting. I'm 6'3" and found the specs given to be too small for my liking.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Thanks Ken, that's what I was interested in hearing as well. I am 6'2" and was curious about the width and girth, considering that the Meteor is wider and longer than many traditional bivys. Do you remember what your measurements were? Of course when I get my materials I will go ahead and make some measurements of my own with my pad and bag laid out.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Todd,

Thanks for the props. I appreciate the kind words. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sorry Tommy I don't have those notes anymore. Simple as the construction is though, easy to make smaller if you find it too large. Try it on before you add the zipper and netting and go from there.

biv

Me working out the details with my supervisor.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Ken,

Your supervisor seems to disapprove of your lying down on the job. ;-)

BTW all good insight and suggestions that you gave to Tommy on the MYOG Meteor.

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

He's upset that there is no room for him. Anytime I put a shelter up he has to be first in there. But hates camping… Weirdo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools