Topic

Critique my initial gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Critique my initial gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Lohrentz

@dlohrentz

Locale: Wisconsin

Hello all. I'm new to backpacking. I'd like a kit that will work for backpacking or bike camping trips. Most of my trips will probably be 3 day trips in Wisconsin or nearby.

I've recently sold some vintage bikes and have a little cash to spend on camping gear.

My list has a few more things to add such as toothbrush. I plan to take the nettent during mosquito season but otherwise just a groundsheet. Still not sure about the pad.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/5b681ce6abe580a1a9c58fa69ce41a5f.pdf

Travis Davis
    Spectator

@rockytop

David, it's a good list! 8 pounds is nice. I'm not very familiar with Wisconsin weather, but here's my two cents…

I don't know how much of an issue your budget it, but you could save some money with water purification by getting some aqua mira instead of a steripen. Steripens are nice though, but I would make sure to carry something for backup too (AM tabs would be good).

It looks like this list is good down to low temps in the 30's. With a quilt you'll want a balaclava or beanie. IMO, the Patagonia Houdini is a little unnecessary. I'd swap that for a long sleeve merino top, something around a 200 weight. I know its a totally different piece, but I think you'd use it more.

A not too expensive upgrade from a blue ccf pad would be to pick up a thermarest prolite short or a BMW torsolite on gear swap, you can usually find them for around $35-40.

A pack that is similar to the SMD Swift is the new Osprey Hornet, and you can probably find one in a local gear shop to try out if you wanted before you bought it.

If you haven't tried on the inov8s yet, I'd try to find them in a shop to try on before I bought them on amazon. I know a lot of people love them, but every shoe fits every person different.

You'll add in a few essentials too before you hit the trail that will inch your weight up. First aid/emergency kit, map, phone, camera, keys, toiletries, etc.

Good luck with buying that new gear too! Buying new gear is the funnest thing ever!

EDIT: after thinking about it, if you'll be biking with this list, the Houdini will be a great piece actually. I'd still add a long sleeve baselayer though.

David Lohrentz

@dlohrentz

The comments on REI indicate that the Osprey Hornet is too small for people who would normally have a large. I have a very long torso, so I don't think that will work for me.

David Lohrentz

@dlohrentz

Couple more questions:

Will the gatewood cape/serenity net tent work for someone 6'2"? How about with a medium-sized dog?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Pushing the limits for yourself. No thanks for a dog in there too. Unless you want them on top of you.

David Lohrentz

@dlohrentz

Would the Tarptent contrail have enough room for my dog and I?

Travis Davis
    Spectator

@rockytop

I think with the shape of the Lunar Solo it would prob be the best "tent" to fit a dog into.

Eric Palumbo

@palumbo

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I'm 6'1 190 and slept my one night (so far) in my Contrail with my pack next to me with room to spare. If your dog is good in that kind of space he/she'd fit.

Sean Staplin
    BPL Member

@mtnrat

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies

I fit myself, pack and my dog in the Gatewood cape. He is a 55lb lab border collie mix. I am 5'7" so not as tight as someone 6'+

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools