Topic

Sewing cad software?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing cad software?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ray Bailly

@tempestv

Does anyone know of any cad software for designing fabric gear? Something that would let you design backpacks, clothing, stuff like that, and then produce patterns to use to actually make the stuff? My girlfriend is looking at getting software for designing quilt patterns in 2d, but I want something that will allow me to work in 3d.

I have Solidworks and Sketchup, which would allow me to draw up some ideas, but neither are designed for the purpose of sewing.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Ray,

Here are links to previous posts on the topic. Software specifically for sewing seems to be scarce.

November 2005

March 2006

January 2011

February 2011

Apparel pattern makers use specialized software for design and grading. Perhaps you could search for pattern and grading software. Probably limited to 2D.

Hope this helps.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I use Sketchup a lot, mostly for architectural applications, but I have used it to design a few large, inflatable sculptures that were sewn. In a few weeks I want to start designing a tarp tent, and I'll probably use SU. I use SU 8 Pro, with a bunch of plugins.

If it were me, I'd model my design in SU, copy the model, then select and make a group or component from each face in the copy (which would correspond to individual pieces of fabric). Separate the pieces, rotate so they are all in the same plane (there may be a ruby script to do this, but I don't have it) then use the offset tool to add basic seam allowance for sewing. Tweak as necessary, for flat-fell seams, etc. Draw a big rectangle corresponding to fabric size, make it a group/component, then arrange pieces on it for most efficient fit. Export as .dwg or .pdf (reguires SU Pro). Tweak as required. Prototype in cheap materials.

Apologies if this is essentially what you already do. I suspect any program that will automate the fiddly steps above will also be big $$. SU will certainly let you calculate surface area (thus weight) and rough volume. Obviously, SU models rigid planes that don't behave quite like fabric. When I've used it to model fabric forms, I rely on experience with sewing to get close, and then prototype.

The plugin "Soap Skin Bubble" might help visualize how flat shapes in fabric will bulge and curve. The book "SketchUp for Site Design" by Daniel Tal has a lot of good stuff on modeling, including canopy forms. I like both sMustard and Sketchucation as sources for plugins. I've just started playing with SketchyPhysics, which might have applications

Recent versions of AutoCAD incorporate 3D design. I have the latest AutoCAD for Mac, but really don't use it enough to say if it would work for you.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Having just gone through what felt like a fairly exhaustive search for free or reasonably priced sewing CAD software (Jan-Feb 2011), my conclusion is that you can either spend a ton of money and get what you want (because it's out there, but it's way expensive, like ~$1000), or you can settle for a cheap or free solution that will do some or most of what you want.

I use Solid Edge 2D drafting (free) to draw patterns when I have a pretty good idea of how they will go together in 3D and the main idea is to get edges that are going to be sewn together to be the same length. I like Solid Edge for this because I can have a table of variables that I can change in order to change the design, and multiple dimensions will be updated all at once to accommodate my change. If you go this route I would be happy to send you a sample backpack design so you can see how I am using the variable table.

Marvelous Designer is also very cool for modeling how 2D pattern pieces will look when sewn together and draped over a body (or tent frame, etc), but it doesn't readily deal with changes to multiple pattern pieces at once, doesn't let you easily add seam allowances, and the 3D modeling is a little suspect too because you have to input the right fabric properties to get a realistic model.

With any reasonably complex software, it may take a significant amount of time to learn to make it do what you want, and these are no different. Be forewarned. But once you're there, they can make you more productive.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

I wonder if it would be possible for BPL MYOGers to jointly get an enterprise license for one of the more expensive but way useful software packages…? Split the cost and maybe get it down to a reasonable price?

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

For catenary curves in SketchUp, I just downloaded this plugin:

http://www.drawmetal.com/curvemaker

It runs a little quirky on my Mac–need to set length units to decimal inches to get the curve to complete. Free. Will draw many other curves and spirals as well.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Just downloaded this:

http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/flattery/

Very useful plugin. Free/donation. Makes the process of flattening model faces to generate patterns semi-automatic. Real time saver.

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

The last post in this thread was 10+ years ago… any updates?

Is SketchUp still the go-to program for MYOG design?  Is there anything better for a reasonable cost?  Doesn’t have to be free, a consumer level purchase price or monthly subscription could work.

Beyond MYOG, what software are the pro’s using to help design their fabric based gear products?  I’m thinking of several brands with a presence on this forum (Tarptent, Seek Outside, Enlightened Equipment, Durston gear, etc.).

I’m looking to model something in 3d and create a sewing pattern from the model.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I use AutoSketch V10, although it is only 2D.
    But there are many ‘shapes’ in 3D which cannot be flattened into a 2D pattern.

Cheers

Dan Ransom
    BPL Member

@danransom

Locale: Utah

I still feel like Sketchup is the best bang for the buck, it’s easy to learn and flattening to 2d is quite simple.  If I were going to learn a new program though, I’d check out Clo3d.  It’s wicked powerful, but still in the realm of something a hobbyist could learn.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Dan, is it Sketchup Pro that you use? Does the flattening function come built in or is it a plug in? Thanks!

Dan Ransom
    BPL Member

@danransom

Yes, I now use Sketchup Pro, but I’ve heard some people still use the older Sketchup Make.  The flattening function is a free plugin, that is called Unwrap and Flatten Faces.  Installs from inside the app, super easy process.  Sketchup has a free 30 day trial too. and the unwrap plugin will work on the trial.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The unwrap can only work on simple surfaces. It can NOT work on complex ones: the maths won’t permit it.

Cheers

Dan Ransom
    BPL Member

@danransom

For all intents and purposes, if you can sew it, it can be modeled in SketchUp.   A piece of fabric when laid flat is 2 dimensional.  Any shape that can be sewn with multiple flat pieces of fabric can be modeled in SketchUp and unwrapped successfully.  You may need to be strategic about how you model those complex shapes with features like darts, or how those individual panels may be “welded” back together after you unwrap it.  But anything that can actually be sewn from flat pieces of fabric can be modeled and unwrapped successfully using SketchUp.  The only thing that SketchUp doesn’t do that a more advanced software like Clo3d can do is account for fabric properties like bias stretch.

I’ve modeled plenty of complex shapes, including shelters with catenary curves, and lots of different packs.  All can be unwrapped successfully very quickly with a little experience.

Here’s an example of a fairly simple backpack, but all the panels have curves in them. You can see the sketchup render, the flattened pattern, and the final pack.   https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18109189072235163/

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Sorry, but no. NOT all shapes.
    Create a curved shape with an elliptical surface and try to unwrap that. You will need to invert the elliptical function, but that is mathematically impossible.
    This is why elliptical curves are used in cryptography.
    But you can approximate.

Cheers

Dan Ransom
    BPL Member

@danransom

Like I said, if it can be drawn as a pattern on a two dimensional piece of fabric, it can be modeled in SketchUp.  If you can sew it, it can be modeled in SketchUp.  Now certainly there are complex shapes that can be modeled and not sewn – that’s obvious, but not worth discussing in the context of this thread.

At any rate, SketchUp is very powerful for MYOG, Unwrap and Flatten works very well for all practical purposes.  But thank you for reminding me why I rarely post on this forum… Haha.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

To explain:
    My tunnel tents have elliptical curves for the poles, by definition. My choice.
    I spent months trying to unwrap those curves, and went down many deep rabbit holes in the process. Eventually I found the root of the problem.

I handled the unwrapping by approximation, which was good to about 0.1 – 0.2 mm. It was entertaining at the time . . .

Cheers

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Dan, I appreciate your information on SketchUp and flattening for patterns and hope you do keep posting here. Thanks!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Perhaps some of you remember when you could buy a suit, have it chalked up and sewn by a skilled tailor, and it fit perfectly.  This is the way I tailor my tents.  Some of the seam lines can only be obtained by using tubes bent to cat-cuts as a guide, and small pins.  When the seams are adjusted to produce the most taut structure, the sewing is done.

Sure this may be retrograde, but it is a lot faster and more precise than mucking with a computer.  I think Roger Caffin’s posts above are quite telling in this regard.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Ah, but think of the fun I had!

Yes, it was very complex, but I ended up with a totally parametric design. Change peak ht, or vestibule length, or pole separation? (etc) ONE number to change. The SW did the rest.
    So I was a bit obsessive – so?

Cheers

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

So Roger, where the seam lines will be can depend on how a woven fabric is oriented.  How does the computer know that?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Sam

The key point here is that the math models and drawings I make are really just hard-copy versions of the model that is in my mind.

Yes, I am quite serious about that: I do the conceptual design (for anything) entirely in my head. Without that vital 1st step, you have no guarantee that the paper version will join up at the edges (as it were).

In the case of the seam lines on the tents: I start by deciding how I am going to orient the fabric to handle the forces. The paper design then ASSUMES that. For instance, the panels on my tunnels all have the weave aligned with the ground, and a 1% stretch is allowed for in the pitching. I have bungee cords pulling the fabric tight along the poles for this.

Cheers

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Sam,

It is getting beyond CAD, but if you create a finite element model, you can give your elements directional properties. With a model like that, you can model the stress in your panel by orienting the fabric in different directions. It would be a significant undertaking but doable. I would still recommend experience and rules of thumb… quicker and probably better results.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

“For instance, the panels on my tunnels all have the weave aligned with the ground, and a 1% stretch is allowed for in the pitching. I have bungee cords pulling the fabric tight along the poles for this.”

OK Roger, but that doesn’t tell me how that works with CAD or other software.

“It is getting beyond CAD …”

OK, Ben, but that doesn’t get me any closer to replacing tailoring with a computer that will spit out diagrams with dimensions and seam lines that take into account the orientation of the warp (or weft) of the fabric, not to mention cat cuts on each panel piece.

Don’t doubt that commercial tentmakers, most of them abroad, can do this with computer software; but doubt that it is affordable to the home sewer, not to mention the learning process the must go into using the software effectively.  OK, that’s grumbling, but it comes not from envy; but from being stuck with the hard work of tailoring.  But I’m only doing one tent for each design, so automated production is not needed.

And as you may know, scale models are used, and they help with design, and reveal such details as whether the bias stretch over a framework is sufficient using a specific fabric with a specific orientation to keep a canopy taut.   Granted, with convex panels on a canopy, sometimes a full scale prototype is needed.  That’s what it took for me to find out that a design would not hold its shape with silnylon under prolonged heavy rain, and may have to do it again to find out how other fabrics fare.  Somehow I doubt that software will disclose that .   Call me a ‘doubting thomas.’

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I freely admit this is pure showing off. Absolutely.
    Except that right now there is no option to insert a JPG of a drawing generated by my Excel design program.
    But now I can insert. Someone is messing around with the web site code.

Yup – uploading an image does not work right now.

Oh well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools