Topic

Anyone use trekking poles with a Golite Shangri-la 3?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone use trekking poles with a Golite Shangri-la 3?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Does anyone use trekking poles with a Golite Shangri-la 3? The pole that comes with it is pretty heavy so I was thinking of using trekking poles with a joiner of some kind. If you do, how has it held up in the wind? Thanks.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Randy,

Check this out, this is courtesy of BPL member Craig Wisner, off his blog:

Golite SL3 Trekking Pole Connector

*edit, nm, sorry, late post, straight from the source!

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Great. Thanks very much!

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

When I had an SL3, I purchased an extra trekking pole lower section which I sawed off to around 8 inches in length (around 0.7 oz) to join the two poles together. It made for a very solid pole and simple connection, but I'd still want the stock pole in a wind over 40 mph or so.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

I bought a hiking pole extension with my Hex 2. I used it with my SL-3 as well with good results. One can be made or purchased from a varity of materials.It is reall just thin walled tubbing with a plactic cap in one end to protect the apex of the tent.
    Regards,
    John

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've used the extender (1 ounce or so?) with a trekking pole in winds that gusted at least to 40 or 50. We get a lot of windstorms here and we're pretty good at judging the speed. The Hex 3 was great. That was just with the perimeter staked, too. A trekking pole center that is also guyed from the peak on the outside would plenty strong. I've never used the stock pole. Way overkill in my opinion.

Jeff LaVista
    BPL Member

@lavista

For fair weather/no wind use I find that I can setup fine using only one trekking pole. I have Leki's that open to 145cm I think. If It was raining out but the air mostly still I would probably setup with 1 pole just to get the structure up and our gear out of the rain while my hiking partner lashes his set together for a taller more roomier pitch.

Has anybody had any luck with lightening their shangri-la tarp? I was thinking about removing the three plastic "battens" that hold the top vents open (less for weight and more so that I can stuff the tent better), as well as removing the 1" strap tie-outs & plastic triglides, and replacing them with some lightweight line-locs & cords. I think I can get the tarp weight under 20oz.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

Indeed, the stock pole is a bit heavy. I like its strength and simplicity but not the weight.

I already use trekking poles, so I made a pole adapter similar to the one Eugene linked to above; it works great and it's only about .6oz. As far as durability – after a few nights, "so far so good." I made two adapters and will be bringing both for a while, just in case. 1.2oz for two adapters sure beats that pole weight.

I also thought about removing the [sewn in] plastic stays that shape the vents. It certainly would make packing a little easier while dropping a wee-bit of weight. Perhaps a strand or two of weed-eater cable could be slipped in when needs be; perhaps two little pockets, if you will, could be attached/sewn in, on each side of the vent, for the purpose of "holding" a little stick that would prop the vent(s) open.

Rob St. John
    BPL Member

@robstjohn

Locale: American Intermountain West

I have been using a length of polyethylene water tubing with a crutch or chair leg rubber on the bottom. The trek pole point goes inside the tubing. It is light, very inexpensive at the Re-Store, and works great. I am a one trek pole person so a system that hooks two together isn't for me. I am scouting for a chunk of aluminium ski pole that I can cut and stick the end of the trek pole in and add the rubber bottom, but haven't come across one that meets my price point yet.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

You can buy plain aluminum tubing at Home Depot and add a plastic cap to one end. The question is how wobbly the fit to the point of the trekking pole would be.

You could use larger diameter tubing that would slip all the way over the basket mount and put a cotter key or screw through the extension to form a stop.

That connector using tubular webbing and Velcro straps is just pure genius, not to mention the Mid conversion.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Craig, all,
    I recently purchased a Shangri La 3 for my wife and I to use in Yellowstone and I saw this modification. I have purchased all the components necessary and I was wondering if you guys are still using this mod and if so what is the longterm prognosis of it? I don't want to be in the backcountry for 4-5 days and have to worry about my tent collapsing on me but this mod makes the tent with nest 3.5lbs for the wife and I and that is stellar for a two person tent that has 59sqft of floor space and ample headroom.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Lot's of people use trekking poles with Golite Shangri-la 3 by either connecting the two poles together with a webbing sleeve or by using an aluminum center section.

Tons of info here:

Golite Shangri La 3/Hex 3 Owners thread
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/golite-shangri-la-3/hex-3-owners-thread/30212.html

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

You can also go with a standalone carbon fiber center pole from Rutalocura
    http://www.rutalocura.com/Tent_Poles.html

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I tried the tubular webbing and velcro straps in my yard this morning and the velcro straps broke in minutes and the whole thing seemed pretty wobbly. What length of carbon fiber pole would I need/want?

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

I use a joiner that connects the poles fine and is strong. LINK:http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelter-accessories/YA101.html

You can see it in the photo at a windy exposed camp.SL3SL3 2

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Two voile ski straps are my preference for this application. Double wrap each one, get the pole height set, then tighten the straps quite a bit.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I emailed those guys awhile back and they said that this won't work with the Black Diamond carbon cork trekking poles I have

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

> I tried the tubular webbing and velcro straps in my yard this morning
    > and the velcro straps broke in minutes and the whole thing seemed
    > pretty wobbly.

I've never tried it myself, but I think it should be very sturdy with enough wraps of webbing.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Yeah after it being so wobbly and the velcro strap breaking with minimal force being applied I have zero faith in this and will be looking at other solutions like the carbon fiber pole. Especially since it would save me 8 ounces over the aluminum pole that normally ships with the tent.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Black Diamond used to make a "Pole Link Converter" that was basically two stout bags sewed to webbing with three Velcro straps. The bags were taking the lions share of the load. They actually included them with some of their mid tents. Looks like a DIY project begging to be born to me!

Black Diamond Pole Connector

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

There are several variations of homemade trekking pole connectors in this older thread:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=17864

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I was actually trying to find this. I am not the DIY type. I am absolutely terrible at doing DIY stuff and do not have the patience for it. Even though the carbon fiber pole is $75 I'd rather do that then have to buy a sewing machine or pay a seamstress to do it and probably in the end to perfect it would run me more than $75.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

I made a pole jack from a trift store carbon fiber golf club shaft + – 18'' tall and used a single 1115mm pole.Worked fine.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Heath, here's a technique I learned here on BPL a few years ago. I simply lash the pole tips together with two 8-10" lengths of Triptease, then secure things with 4 Velcro strips. It's a secure connection, plenty strong, and the Triptease/Velcro weighs just .55 oz. in its snack baggie. It takes me just 3-4 minutes to assemble things, which I do while my buddy goes for water once we reach camp. I use adjustable trekking poles so that I can get the perfect length, or for the rare case where I need to change the pole length to lower the tent height. I couldn't do this technique with my beloved BPL Stix, and I don't want to chance snapping them in high winds anyway. The aluminum poles are stronger than carbon.

SL3 pole connection

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools