Topic

Water Purification – Really?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Water Purification – Really?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Unless folks really object to the taste of chlorine dioxide at Philmont, the pills work fine and do not fail.

That being said, I love my Gravity Works but it does weigh more than chlorine dioxide pills, and it can fail. I had to replace a filter after taking water three times from a very small, warm pond at 9500 feet in the Sierra Nevada earlier this summer. I suspect that what Ryan Jordan would call biofilms clogged the little hollow tubes. No amount of back flushing would clear the filter. So I replaced the filter.

As to the zip lock on the dirty bag, seems to work fine on my 2012 model.

Dave Ebert
    BPL Member

@scouterdave

Locale: Midwest transplant to NC

I only used one Gatorade pack a day at Philmont (if that), and drank treated water the rest of the trek and never noticed a taste or aftertaste from the chlorine dioxide tabs. But I rarely had to drink immediately after waiting for the treatment to finish.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools