Topic

Montane Featherlite H2O

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montane Featherlite H2O

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

This seems to be an ideal jacket for me. Why would this manufacturer make it so difficult for US customers to purchase their products? It seems the current US distributor is no longer active with them.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall hearing about Montane getting burned by a US distributor…something to do with large orders never being paid for. Again, I’m not 100% on that.

Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Locale: The Chilterns and Peak District

I guess smaller niche companies have enough business on their own continents to worry too much about the complexities of overseas business. I’ve been looking to buy a Sierra Designs Mica Vest but short of psaying an online retailer $30-40 shipping charge can’t get one…its a similar story with the Integral Designs Rain Jacket. If you fancy getting me a Mica Vest and posting it over here let me know and I’ll get you a H20 jacket and send it you and we can sort out any monetary difference.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Whilst I am unaware of issues related to distributors in the USA, I have always purchased my Montane gear from the UK. The shipping cost is usually equal to the VAT (sales tax) in the UK so the advertised UK price is what it costs to get it in the USA.

I have found that http://www.walkhigh.co.uk to be reliable and efficient when ordering Montane or Rab products.

Maybe BPL should take on Montane in its gear store

Roger

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

If you can find a reliable vendor, as indicated by Roger, for a product not otherwise available, the I would consider them. I work for a large corp that is very careful where and when we get involved in international trade.

One reason for a skiddish-ness to get involved in international sales is that the rules can change very quickly, you can easily be fined more than the value of your goods, and the accounting, depending upon the shipping and shipped to country, can get pretty interesting.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

If BPL were to bring Montane into the store, which items would be of most interest? We wouldn’t be able to stock their entire line by any means, and we’re not really in that business anyways, but I’d consider bringing in a few pieces if there is reader interest.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It seems like the windshirts and pants would be a natural: Featherlite smock and pants and the Lite-speed jacket.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One Enthusiastic Vote for the Montane Featherlite Wind Smock.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Second Dale’s suggestion on windshirts and wind pants. Not sure of their current offerings, but i really like the Aero.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

>Why would this manufacturer make it so difficult for US customers to purchase their products?< Why would a US company make it so difficult for european customers to purchase their products? I was lucky to get a Golite Phantom Jacket and Wisp shirt bofore they left europe. Many of the other wonderfull UL stuff you can get in the US is nowhere on the EU market. So I think you’ll survive without being able to buy a Montane jacket in the US. But you can take the offer of another poster and let him send you a jacket. I’d be happy to do the same, though i can get Montane products here, but not easily. Eins

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

I’m sure Montane would like to trade with the US. Just start emailing them telling them what you’d like them to do as a company, and potentially mention they might revise their patterns to be a better fit. I’ve always found them very nice people and they deserve your business.

As for bringing their stuff to BPL, their wind shirts are ok but I find US manufacturer’s windshirts generally fit me slightly better. The Featherlite H2O is an obvious import item though.

If anyone want’s to trade any Montane gear for stuff I can’t get hold of from the US I’m available.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Thanks to all who offered to send Montane stuff my way! I did finally find a UK e bay dealer who priced competitively and charged low shipping rates. Still all in all, the Featherlite H20 ran $100. If it breathes nearly as well as goretex, I will be happy though, 4 ounces is great for waterproof and breathable.

I also agree with most of the comments on this thread. And while there are a fair number of US manufacturers who focus on ultralight weight clothing, Montane seems to be world class in this regard as well. Their response to my inquirery as to US availability was to use the Canadian distributor or UK. That is fair enough, and they may have a slow growth mindset. But in today’s world, the rule that seems to win out in these kinds of goods usually is grow and evolve or someone else will. It seems Golite is especially well positioned to re-enter the European market if they are not already there. All of this assumes too that sports enthusiasts will continue to align with a lighter is better approach.

Ryan, it would definitely be worth while to see if Montane would do business on some of their unique offerings. I would have preferred to support you guys with my latest purchase.

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

I’ll cast my vote for Montane’s Featherlite Pants and Litespeed Windshirt. Thanks for considering this, Ryan!

Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Scott, Golite do have some offerings in the UK but it mainly tends to be their packs and occasionally windshirts. Some of the pack stockists have a small selection of baselayers. However, I haven’t found anyone who stocks either their Echo or Kick Jackets both of which I am interested in but loathe to order without trying. I particularly like the look of the Kick Jacket as it seems to be a slightly heavier windshirt but with pit zips which I haven’t seen on other jackets.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

This thread has moved on a lot since I last wrote a comment. But in my view Montane is well known for their lightweight wind shirts and pants, so these should be included, maybe an eVent top as well, but I recognise that these may have limited appeal.

As an aside, Montane is not always readily availble in Europe and you can find GoLite products in the most unexpected places.

Colin Kelley

@ckelley

Locale: Santa Barbara

Another vote here for Montane Featherlite windshirt/pants and the Litespeed jacket. They are great products.

Anonymous
    Inactive

For all those interested in Montane products here is the US of A, try http://www.campsaver.com. They have quite a few, though not all, Montane products. Definitely the Featherweight pants and Lightspeed jackets/smocks. Also, for those who hike high and dry, you might check out the Montane Terra pants. They are my standard for the Sierra, and also work well for summer/early fall doings in the Cascades. Rugged, quick to dry, and well ventilated due to a neat mesh covered side zip on the thighs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One minor nuisance about Montane at campsaver.com: the company is not on the list of dealers, but if you enter Montane into their search engine, it will provide you with the list of available products. The good news is….FREE SHIPPING on orders over $50, which is just about everything.

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

Hi

This is not confirmed but a retailer in the UK just informed me that Montane have no more Black, Large Featherlite H2O’s left for this season, so other colours / sizes may be thin on the ground too!

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Great! (sarcasm) No wonder my e bay dealer has not corresponded for 5 days now after getting his money. Looks like I may have hit my first internet purchase snag in nearly 10 years of dabbling.

Nigel Sanderson

@onthefells

Guys re this H2O Featherlite I’d be careful about how waterproof it is. I saw one in our local shop the other day and looking at the tag I’m sure it said it was waterproof to 1300ml (or whatever the standard variable is) and breathable to 6000 whatevers. Neither of those seem particularly good to me and I have to say on feeling the material I’d be pretty surprised if it keeps a heavy downpour out.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Hmmm. I appreciate the first hand knowledge. I was trying to locate a ranking of how breathable the other fabrics are in comparison, based on the metrics stated. Not much out there (or perhaps too much). In my mind, waterproof is waterPROOF. The only other option is water-resistant which is everything else. It seems treaterous in the realm of gear freaks, that a company would offer up a waterproof garment that is not just that. So, my guess is that the garment is waterproof, because I would not expect Montane to be that daring with their reputation…but I do indeed feel the gamble lies in how breathable and durable the garment is. If it breathes better than Precip and lasts a few seasons…I would feel the money is well spent since my waterproof garments currently are either very bulky or rather heavy, neither which mesh with where the rest of my gear is heading.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Water proof is a level. The SD Isotope is WP supposedly but in the real world it doesn’t hold up that long from what I’ve read.

No hood on the featherlite either correct?

My lightly modded 6.1oz DIAD w/ pit zips looks pretty good still.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

No hood on the featherlite. Actually that would be redundant for me as I wear a sun/rain hat given my bald head. I would not mind one though, and will probably wait until next year on the rain wear, since my ebay supplier seems to be no go. I like the OR Goretex jacket at 7 ounces….and at $200 it could double as a regular duty jacket for me…where something like the featherlite would be used only for packing and only when it was windy or rainy.

Jay McCombs
    BPL Member

@jmccombs

Locale: Southwest

I have the OR Zealot (PacLite) jacket. Its very nice except no pit zips. My wife has the celestial (female version). Its about an ounce heavier but ventilates much better. I bought each last year on close out for about 120

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools