Topic

My AT 2011 Photos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery My AT 2011 Photos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I just walked the first 400 miles of the AT. My photos are in two albums.

asdfads

I wrote words about my 2011 Appalachian Trail walking on my blog Outside 365.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Very nice pics.

I remember the first time I came over Round Bald and saw those goats. Then I saw two guys putting up the fence for more goats. Talk about doing a double take.

Brad

Jack H.

@found

Thanks! I didn't even see any goats. Are they seasonal? I may have been too early.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Jack, that photo posted here is wicked!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thanks for sharing the great pics and commentary on your blog.

Jack H.

@found

Thanks David and Travis!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jack,

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Really fun to see an epic trip like yours unfolding before my eyes with so many photos.

Always a treat to see what other parts of the country have to offer and to see how the culture is so different than ours…..Trail Magic, Shelters along the Trail, and stopping over at Inns and Hostels.

Neat stuff!

-Tony

Jake Willits
    BPL Member

@trailsavvy

Locale: Arkansas Ozarks

Jack, this will sound strange, but I think I may have crossed paths with you out there. Then again, there were plenty of beards like yours. We(a group of 4 guys) started at Fontana Dam on Mar 19 and finished Mar 26 hiking SOBO to Deep Gap Trailhead. I'm just curious now. Check that. We passed the Hot Air balloon but failed to be as good of naturalists as you guys. Way to go on removing it. Now I am sure I passed you, and suspect it was on either Sunday the 20th or Monday the 21st. Wish I'd said more than hi now.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

They basically use the goats to keep the "balds" clear. They usually bring them in when the grass starts growing. It has always been warmer weather when I have seen them.

Brad

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Great photos. Some people catch the balds of NC/TN on beautiful sunny, summer days, but I think you really captured their true beauty. That photo on your post really is the best of several nice ones!

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

There is an interesting article in the ATC magazine (2009) talks about the use of goats to keep the balds bald. Apparantly, goats prefer woody plants, as opposed to sheep who graze on grass.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/Baatany%20in%20the%20Balds%20ATJourneysJulyAug09.pdf

Jack H.

@found

Jake! That's great that we passed eachother. Such a small world. I believe that you were the crew that was topping out from a big climb from one of those paved roads? There was an empty trail magic beer box at the bottom of the climb? You guys had fairly big packs? I really had a lot of similar encounters on the AT this year. Three strangers knew me from my website, one from youtube, and two other connections from the internet. Plus you. Small world!

Tom, thanks for that link!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Jack,
    I've enjoyed following your trip on outside365. It's pretty clear that the AT has suffered in comparison to your PCT and CD trips, but your pictures and words really captured a slice of hiker life. Great job. Any idea yet if you will be rejoining the trail?

Andy Schill

@aschill

Thanks for sharing your pictures, it looks great out there. I'm jealous.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Jack, great photos. Looks like you had a great trip. I think you passed me and my friend on the trail between Ice Water shelter and Pecks Corner shelter while we were eating lunch beside the trail.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools