Topic

New in Gear Shop – Andrew Skurka Bobblehead Doll

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info New in Gear Shop – Andrew Skurka Bobblehead Doll

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

These just came off the boat from China, a genuine, lead-free plastic wobbly-headed caricature of super-hiker, Andrew Skurka. Check out the Skurka Bobblehead on sale now in the Gear Shop.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Too funny. Well done Sam.
    Can't wait to get one!?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Why, my DIY version weighs only a few grams! Of course, it just spit out of my printer and is kinda flimsy, but with TLC it doesn't need to be bombproof. And being made out of paper, its head bobbles in the wind even better than the original.

And a happy April 1 to you all at BPL!

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Sam

I placed an order for the Skurka doll right before it went out of stock (think i got the last one!) but I was not logged in and I was charged the non member price. Is there any way my purchase order can be adjusted?

Thanks!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sam, can you comment on this?

I just read in the paper that the first shipment of Andrew Skurka Bobbleheads were in a cargo container that slipped off a Chinese tanker near Alaska. Hundreds of thousands of Skurka bobbleheads have now formed a giant floating island of plastic in the Pacific.

It is the ultimate irony for an environmentally-aware person like Skurka.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I will happily answer all your questions. Firstly I highly recommend a DIY Skurka Bobblehead. Through the use of hard-to-source and controversial materials I'm sure a Bobblehead in the sub four ounce range can be achieved.

Regarding the ordering of the dolls, yes there was a HUGE demand for these right off the bat and they sold out a little after midnight MST. For those of you who forgot to login and missed out on the member price consider yourself SCREWED! ; ) * tongue in cheek * /begin humor/ * nudge nudge *

Also in light of the news of the SECOND (not first as was incorrectly reported) shipment of the Bobblehead dolls that have suffered the misfortune of the Chinese tanker accident. I have dispatched Alaska resident Roman Dial with a fleet of packrafts to cull the ocean free of a this nuisance.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Sam wrote: "I have dispatched Alaska resident Roman Dial with a fleet of packrafts to cull the ocean free of a this nuisance."

I submit that all that is necessary on Roman's part is to heave the entire fleet of packrafts into the churning mass of ASBD's. They will scramble aboard all by themselves and in a flurry of adrenalin-fueled passion, immediately head off in every direction on new long distance adventures, thereby ridding the ocean of the navigational nuisance.

Alas, BPL will once again have egg on its face for it's inability to maintain proper inventory stocks in the Gear Shop. Maybe they should fire the manager?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Maybe they should fire the manager?"

Don't be silly! They should capitalize on the opportunity, surprised they haven't yet.

Or perhaps, soon, they'll realize this and be announcing the Sam Haraldson Voodoo Bobblehead Doll, complete with Titanium sticking pins! Didn't get your package on time, stick one of those pins in his arm! Your hoody still out of stock, slap a pin right in the butt! They'd sell like hotcakes! ;-)

And it would give BPL a whole new meaning to "taking one for the team"…..

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Sam,

That one is one of the best ever. Hilarious! Thanks for a much need laugh.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

I am now willing to part with mine to the highest bidder … whoever can offer the most unused BPL member rating points. Points must be in excellent standing. Don't want tarnished points … you know who you are.

Will only ship CONUS, for no other reason than to start that flame war up again. I miss it.

This is the Cuben / titanium model made by happy wholesome folks who speak and think like me; not the earlier silnylon / aluminum junk / sweatshop model.

Oh let's see … this version does not come with the ultralight .22 caliber rifle (sigh). That's why I'm selling.

Peace and love,

Paul

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

between this and the Stone Brewing 'arrogant basstard in a pouch' ive had a good day of laughs. ;)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I'd comment but I've been fired. Alas…

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I was kind of hoping for the Dr. Ryan Jordan air freshener, in Hoppes No. 9 scent. Maybe next year.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I got a chance the use the prototype Skurka BobbleHead (current version has smaller ears) I bonded mine to the bow of the packraft using McNett Aqua Seal and found it was a great rapids class indicator.

Mild front to back bobbing is a Class 1.
    Side to side motion was always a Class 2.
    Swirling or violent random neck rotation was Class 3 or higher.

-Lost the head in shallow a flip and drag wet exit.

I am now waiting for the 2012 version with the built in HD Hero Cam.

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

I, too, was lucky enough to snag one in the milli-instant (that's metric, right?) they were available, but I've already sent it off to Richard Nisley for HH testing. I hope it doesn't mist like the real Skurka does…

Dave Triano
    BPL Member

@dtriano

Locale: Desolation Wilderness

To be truly inspirational, double-time bobble legs and arms are necessary…..;)

Good fun Sam!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I'm p…ed off you didn't find a made in America version

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I sure do love April Fool's Day.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

If custom bobbleheads didn't start at $79, I'd have one made of Skurka and post it on here, just to freak people out.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would totally buy this product!!!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Chris Wallace and I spent a few minutes looking into what custom bobbleheads actually cost also. Teehee.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools