Topic

Lightweight backpacking should go metric!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lightweight backpacking should go metric!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I have always preferred microfortnights

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

In 1968, someone asked my Shop Class teacher why don't we just switch over to the metric system now? His reply was that it would be too expensive to change everything but the change should have been made 20 years ago, as in 1948, when everything was rebuilt after WWII.
    Why wait for The Wrath? Just change it now.
    France almost carried it off. As Americans and world leaders, WE could finally get the job done!
    A base 10 calendar would be so cool!
    Who REALLY needs a DOZEN eggs anyway?
    360 degrees in a circle? How Babylonian can you get!
    Certainly, everyone on this forum would just love a new decimal compass. Devon and his Boilerwerks should be up to this challenge.

George M… I love the new avatar!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use radians, not degrees.

I think we should legislate that pi = 5 so there will be 10 radians in a cricle.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Don't know about you, but I have ten fingers not twelve.

Having lived and worked with currency in a combination of base 12 (pennies) base 20 (shillings) and base 10 (pounds) I understand the difficulty in using mixed bases for maths. US weights – base 16 (ounces) base 10 (pounds). If you talk about stones as well it becomes base 16 (ounces), base 14 (pounds), base 10 (stone). US volume measures have the same problem and of course length with base 12 (inches) base 3 (feet) and base 1,760 (yards). Maybe it just demonstrates the intellectual superiority of the US citizen.

Perhaps we should return to distance measures in links and chains or rods, poles and perches.

I will admit that the French tried to introduce the 10 hour day and the 10 day week during the revolution but the concept didn't stick but the rest of the metric system continues. The one thing the French didn't try to metricize was the months – they kept twelve but renamed them.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Maybe. But it's more encouraging for me to lose 10 lbs to an ideal 155 lbs, then only 4.5 Kg. :-)

I'm just say'in…

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools