Topic

Pots and lids

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pots and lids

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Not a new topic by any means, but I'm looking for help. I've been using my Snow Peak 600 mug for a pot and a tin can bottom for a lid. The tin bottom fits well but its getting rusty and it's not all that light. I made a new tin bottom and coated it with several layers of black grill paint, but it is still rusting.

I know some people use foil for a lid but I like something more ridged. I keep all my cooking gear in the mug and secure the lid with a rubber band.

What, other than foil, are people using for lids? There used to be folks out there making Ti lids for SP 600 mugs. Is anyone still doing this? I'd love to have one.

Tom Peterson
    BPL Member

@tpeterson1959

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I cut a lid out of the same aluminium flashing I used to make a wind screen. Not quite as light as titanium, but light, durable and cheap.

How about a piece of cardboard wrapped in foil?

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

I make my wind screens from flashing too. I thought about cutting a circle for a lid. Is that what you did or did you make tabs to bend down the sides?

Does anyone know where I can get one of those pressed fitted lids that were going around for a while?

I tried to make something like this picture but it didn't work. Mostly because I am not handy. There was a small strip with tabs that would fold over through holes in the top part of teh lid. I was trying to make a lid that would sit down in the mug a little.

lid

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

hey Daniel, I use a SP 600 too and what I did for a lid was use a piece of aluminum that you buy to extend your vent tube for your dryer. I traced the top of my SP 600 onto the aluminum and cut it out and left tabs to bend over. Then i cut down a wine bottle cork and screwed it to the center. You can see this in my video that I just posted here in the Make Your Own Gear area. It's called "video of my cook kit".

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Daniel,

Minibull designs makes a lid for the SP600. Perhaps an option if you are looking to buy something rather than make it yourself.

http://www.minibulldesign.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1232015

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I found the lid from a plastic tub of anderson erickson french onion dip is a great fit it actually "snaps" on to the SP600. I also cut a small hole on the edge, so It can be used as a sipper lid for coffe/hot chocolate. I don't know if anderson erickson is sold in many places (Nebraska and Iowa for sure).

PM me if you are interested in pictures or would like me to pick one up and ship it to you.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I made my own by using one of those can openers that cuts sideways instead of into the can top. I don't remember the exact can I used, but there are MANY cans that fit the SP600 perfectly. But given the cost of the "essentially one use" can opener, the trouble of finding a good "knob" for the lid top…. I would go with Philip's suggestion above and just buy one from Tinny at Minibull.

Ben Wortman – do you boil water with your SP600? Interested in knowing if you do and how well the plastic lid works?

Below are my SP 700 and 600 with home-made lid. Subjective, but I like how my 600 lid covers over the mug — in contrast with the 700 lid which settles "into" the mug.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I like how my 600 lid covers over the mug — in contrast with the 700 lid which settles
    > "into" the mug.

The problem I have seen with a lid which goes 'over' the pot is that condensed steam can drip down the outside while you are handling the pot. When the lid is inside the pot this doesn't happen.

But how significant this is in practice … I am not sure.

Cheers

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

The lid from a one pound plastic Folgers coffee container fits perfectly. It snaps on and withstands the heat if only boiling water.

Donald Kevilus

@fourdogstove

Locale: Woodlands

Dan;
    I make them from titanium for the SP450,SP600,SP700,SP900,SP1400
    and SP bowelSP600 and friends titanium lids

The SP700,SP900,SP1400 & Bowel are slightly domed for strength.
    PM for more info.

fourdog

http://www.fourdog.com

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Bowel"

I dearly hate it when my bowel gets domed.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Bowel"

He spells it wrong all the time.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Donald yes! you are the outfit I was trying to remember. Someone pointed me in your direction a long time ago but I lost too many brain cells since then. I'll PM you.

I saw Ti Goat had some carbon fiber ones but doesn't carbon fiber burn? Plus, isn't that stuff resin based?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@ Roger "But how significant this is in practice … I am not sure."

Happy to report no perceptible downsides in the field.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Another reason I'm kinda particular about lids is that I often just stick my pot in a camp fire. Unless it's raining, I always have a camp fire so I just stick my pot in the coals. If the lid is loose, or flamible it may not do well in a fire pit.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

@ Ben T
    I use a canister stove, and the lid survives the boiling. I tried one with a cat can stove once and sice the flames ride up the side, the plastic lid melted.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Ben,
    Thanks for the tip on the plastic lid and the offer to send one. I bet I can find one locally. I'd like to see how well it works as a sipper for coffee. I like to brew coffee cowboy style in my SP600 but I have no tolerance for hot stuff on my lips. I usually pack an extra foam cup but if the lid works it sounds like a better idea. …. darn I'll have to eat some chips and dip, that'll suck :)

EDIT: I know about the silicon bracelet trick but haven't tried it yet.

I procured some lids from Don and I am looking forward to them. I guess since I've been using my SP600 and 900 for better than 3 years it's time for proper lids.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Don,
    I got my lids. Thanks for the quick turn-around. They are nice. The SP 600 lid is about 13g with the knob removed. This is a hair lighter than my tin lid. The steel screw for the knob weighs abot as much as the knob though. I was thinking about replacing it with an aluminium screw. This is just conjecture and does not reflect on the quality of the lid.

The lid fits, won't rust and it's very sturdy. Perfect!

I know it didn't end up being MYOG more like MGFSEASITT "make gear for someone else and sell it to them" :)

Works for me.

Thadd Howell

@oldhorse77

Dan,I work construction and have found the aluminun they use to insulate Steam Piping VERY useful.It has aq lining you have to peel off but it great stuff for UL gear.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Jason Klass does aluminum ones like you want for 600, 700 & 900
    http://snowpeak600lid.webs.com

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Here is an update to an old thread.

I think many backpackers use a small titanium mug. These have various sizes, but it is not uncommon to have one with a lid that is about 4 inches in diameter. Most of these lids are titanium, although a metal lid here is overkill, weight-wise. The lid is not exposed to direct flame temperatures, and it is exposed to steam.

For my mug, the metal lid was 3.8 inches in diameter and weighed 15 grams. I fabricated a lid out of carbon fiber sheet to beat that.

First of all, you can online buy 4"x4" samples of various carbon fiber sheets at Protech Composites. That 4 inches may be a deciding point, since they don't seem to have samples much larger. For thickness, I got samples at 3.1mm and 0.5mm. All I can say is that the optimum thickness would be either 1mm or else 0.5mm. The 1mm would be rigid, and the 0.5mm would have a bit of flex, rather like stiff cardboard. I decided to run with 0.5mm. Carbon fiber sheets are pretty inert to anything like steam.

I traced out the top of my titanium mug onto the 0.5mm carbon fiber and cut it with ordinary scissors. After sanding the rough edge a bit, I determined where the center was, and that is where a tiny handle was needed. I did not want a bulky handle, and I did not want one that might stress the center of the carbon fiber disk. I wanted a handle that was (1) lightweight, (2) somewhat foldable, (3) somewhat heat resistant, and (4) it still had to be lightweight.

I took a 1-inch piece of silicone string, held it in a loop, then wrapped a bit of small gauge insulated copper wire around the bottom of the loop. The wire holds the loop shape. Then I used epoxy to glue the wire down onto the carbon fiber lid. I used both wire and silicone since the epoxy would hold something firm like wire better, and the wire would anchor the silicone string better. I felt like silicone string would wiggle loose from epoxy directly. The net result of the lid with handle is a bit less than 5 grams. Maybe 4.8 grams.

I agree that aluminum foil might weigh less, but it is not very robust and not very stiff. One advantage of aluminum foil is that you can fold it up tighter for transport.

–B.G.–

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools