Topic

More minimalist footwear for water and camp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) More minimalist footwear for water and camp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

A perennial favorite topic of mine, since I have yet to find a decent lightweight, non-bulky sandal/shoe that is sturdy enough for real whitewater crossings and good for kicking around camp…some options are looking pretty good.

Teva Zilch

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150091413923324

Sperry Top-sider SON-R series

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/store/SiteController/sperry/subcategory?catId=cat90046DM&subCatId=cat1740399&trail=1002:cat1740399

and while not designed for it…perhaps the Merrell Trail Glove might be well suited for this purpose (not sure how much of the material will hold onto water making it slower to dry out).

Any other candidates?

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Personally, I could not do the Tevas because I'd like something I can put over socks in camp. I'd be interested to know the weight of those Sperrys though.

I will be trying Sand Socks this summer, specifically the Grip Socks/Boat Socks. I recently got them, and they are very minimal. Basically the body of them is lycra and the soles are made from something like toughtek.

http://www.sandsocks.net/

I could throw them on the scale if you'd like, but a rough guess is that they weigh 2.5 – 3 oz for the pair. I'd also be willing to take some pics, but the pic on the website does a pretty good job of showing you what they look like on someone's foot.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I forgot to add, I will be taking the insoles out of my shoes and putting them in the Sand Socks once I get to camp to give them a bit more rigidity and some minor protection from rocks, roots etc.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

First off, is carrying another shoe for camp and crossing streams really that necessary? I normally only use one shoe for everything and i find myself very comfortable. I use the merrel trail gloves and i think that it dries quickly enough that i don't mind hiking in them wet because i know that they will eventually dry during hiking and when i get into camp i normally take off my socks and loosen up the laces to wear casually around camp.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

more on topsiders

http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/sperry-topsider-son-r-ping-buckle-review

is something like this necessary? only you can decide…

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

Have you thought about Vibram Five Fingers? I have a pair that I use when I go cliff jumping and rock scrambling on the way to said cliff jumping spots. Plus they dry super fast. But at the same time my trail runners dry fast as well.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

my 5 fingers don't dry out all that fast and you can't really wear warm socks in them at camp. I also find them difficult to put on. Personally I don't bring a second pair of shoes, but I think there are much better options than VFF if I was going to.

gavin wenyon

@gavin123

The Zem's are the best I've seen for a camp shoe.

I sell hiking shoes, fives and other barefoot shoes for a living, and i think the Zem's would better than the fives. The zems allow you to use regular hiking socks and the fully enclosed design keeps out dirt. The pair is around 120 grams.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 No extra shoes. Get some gore tex socks for use in camp if your shoes are wet.

Ginger Allman

@gindavall

Locale: Ozarks

What's wrong with flip flops? Light weight, they dry instantly, and they're easy to slip on for the 2am nature call.

If you're crossing a raging torrent then wear your hiking shoes. Then when you get to camp you can wear the flip flops until your shoes dry out.

A lot of people use Crocs.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Flip flops, the original minimalist shoe.

Tony Anaya

@legeag1

I have croc-offs (fake crocs) for camp but they won't work for whitewater, unless your into watching your shoes float down the river . . .

Gary Allman

@gsallman

Locale: Ozarks

I've been hiking in huaraches, (with a nice thick 1/4" solid rubber sole) and they are great. while my wife bushwhacks her way to a drier route/crossing point, I walk straight through creeks and thick mud with barely a pause to hoist up the legs of my pants.

I've a pair of 'camel toe' wool socks to use when sitting around camp or when the temps on the trail drop too low.

Despite using the 'slip on' tying method the huaraches are a bit awkward to slip in and out of, so I'm experimenting with a flip-flop style lacing technique for my spare pair, allowing me to use them around camp and for late night excursions. This will save carrying a pair of camp flip-flops.

My huaraches on the Berryman Trail, MO

Jeremy W

@sockpuppet

Locale: High Desert

I have some knock-off version of Crocs that I take with me. They have a full heal and shock-cord laces to keep them snug/secure even in swift water.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I find crocs a bit heavy compared to other options I've tried and they suck on slippery rocks or mud in a stream crossing.

Lately I have been bringing Stohlqist Deep See Socks, approx. 4 oz a pair.
    They are lighter, pack smaller and they not only grip the rocks better, they help keep your feet warm and stay on better during stream crossings.
    You can also wear socks inside for even more warmth around camp.

A few other companies make similar shoes. They are called Fin Socks. They are basically just neoprene sock with a little bit of griper tread on the bottom.
    These can also be worn as socks inside your hiking shoes when hiking in extreme cold and wet environments.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools