Topic

Protocol B Version 1 Procedure and Test Results

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Protocol B Version 1 Procedure and Test Results

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    ziff house

@mrultralite

you are good ,ever work in forensics? [or maybe i should get a microscope too!] HaHa!ya, i just ran some on with the brush i was using [el slob-o], i need a clean room if i ever go into production.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

c

Detailed Fabric Description:
    http://www.eventfabrics.com/

Supplemental information from Richard Nisley:
    I tested the air permeability of this WPB UL shelter material at .8 CFM. To put that number in perspective, the Polartec Neoshell WPB material has a spec. value of .5 CFM.

The good news is that this material’s combination of breathability and virgin hydrostatic head is excellent. The bad news is that there were already a number of membrane damage spots. The eVent is only between 30 and 100 micrometers thick. Without a third layer or a liner, it is vulnerable to damage from any sharp or abrasive surface.

The micrograph at the end of this submission shows an example of one of the many damaged areas I discovered looking at the surface under the scope at only 60X magnification. For the hydrostatic head test, I selected an area without surface damage to get an intact membrane test.

The link to supplemental high resolution micrographs, for this material, is below. Each time you left click your mouse over an image it will increase in resolution up to a max of approximately 1600 x 1200.

High Resolution & High Magnification eVent Submission Images

60x top lit micrograph to illustrate one of the damaged eVent areas

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

c

Detailed Fabric Description:
    http://www.eventfabrics.com/

I tested the air permeability of this WPB UL shelter material at .4 CFM. This is exceptional quality material with a perfect weave and tricot backing. The eVent membrane is of uniform thickness and the surface is flawless.

The link to supplemental high resolution micrographs, for this material, is below. Each time you left click your mouse over an image it will increase in resolution up to a max of approximately 1600 x 1200.

High Resolution & High Magnification eVent Submission Images

40x top lit micrograph to illustrate tricot construction and the eVent membrane

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

c

Detailed Fabric Info:
    http://www.cubictechnology.com/CTF3%20PRODUCT%20INFO%20PACK%2007192010_4c.pdf

Supplemental information from Javan Dempsey:
    – Weight: 30.6g/m^2
    – Waterproofness: ~9,000mm of hydrostatic head at 100mm Diameter
    – Tear strength: ~45 N
    – Breathability: ~1100 g/m^2 / 24 hours @ 75 F & 47% RH

The test head on my commercial HH tester is approximately (within 10%) the same size used for the CTF Waterproofness speciation listed above. This material tested 0 CFM air permeability in one location and .15 in another location. For each of the two random sampling areas, there was one pinhole that appeared at about 1,500 mm H2O but stayed static in size. I am guessing this is what accounts for the discrepancy between the two slightly different air permeability readings.

The Breen colored side appears to be the typical CTF3 Dyneema grid held together with Breen colored adhesive. The adhesive and Dyneema grid serves as a screen foundation for an additional Mylar sheet used temporarily during the manufacturing process; it is designed to be peeled off the colored side by the end-user. The WPB urethane coating is placed on the back side (white side). The removable Mylar sheet apparently keeps the PU from protruding through the colored surface during the manufacturing process and reduces the amount of PU required for a lighter material.

High Resolution & High Magnification CTF3 Submission Images

40x top lit micrograph to illustrate the foundation screen of Dyneema fibers and adhesive that serve as the foundation for the polyurethane which is coated on the other side (white side)

b

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Richard, I know Steve from suluk46 mentioned that there is a layer that he had to peel off the wpb cuben…something he was initially unaware of. Was curious to know if the wpb cuben had this layer removed?

From Steve's site: "…Some of you may notice that I had originally stated a weight of 5.5 oz. Well, guess what, Cubic Tech informed me that I did not remove the protective layer off of one side of the fabric. I peeled it off and voila! Half the weight!"

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Konrad, that stuff has had the layer peeled.

I ran into the same problem before Steve. The test piece is from some mitt patterns I cut out too small.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

c

Detailed Fabric Info:

The air permeability of this WPB UL shelter material tested at 0 CFM.

The normal CTF3 grid of Dyneema fibers are laid out and adhesive is applied. A WPB polyurethane coating is applied to both sides. It appears that after the initial coating is applied, a ridged surface is created by mechanical rollers/brushes. The pressure applied by the roller on one side appears to be less than the other side. Whether this intentional or not isn’t known but I strongly suspect it was an manufacturing equipment adjustment problem. The prior submission has the same deeper PU pattern that one side of this submission has. There are two apparent benefits derived from the ridges: 1) it protects the coating from wear, and 2) it creates dead air space for additional warmth between it and the garment surface below.

For the two HH samples taken, there was only one pinhole in one sample.

Do to the unique construction of this submission, numerous supplemental micrographs were posted on the external site. The link to supplemental high resolution micrographs, for this material, is below. Each time you left click your mouse over an image it will increase in resolution up to a max of approximately 1600 x 1200.

40x top lit micrographs are provided to show the PU ridge pattern that was created on each side of the material

t

b

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

c

Detailed Fabric Info:

Purchased from ZPacks Oct/Nov 2010; on a 54" roll

The micrographs show the Mylar sheets are pinched into convex ridges at random spots on the surface. Contamination in the Mylar shows up as black specs. Some micrographs show the Dyneema fibers not bound at the normal junction points.

Do to the unique construction of this submission, numerous supplemental micrographs were posted on the external site. The link to supplemental high resolution micrographs, for this material, is below. Each time you left click your mouse over an image it will increase in resolution up to a max of approximately 1600 x 1200.

40x top lit micrograph showing the Mylar convex creases, contamination, and unbonded Dyneema junctions

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

c

Detailed Fabric Info:

Purchased from Cubic Tech Feb 2011; on a 54" roll

If you compare the external site's micrographs for this submission versus the prior submission, the quality differences are dramatic. I would be reasonable to expect the service life of this submission to be much longer. None of the supplemental information comments for the prior sample are applicable to this sample.

Previously committed but still pending submissions, that were not received by April 22, will not be tested by me. The batch 2 aging report is all that remains for me to do.

200x bottom lit micrograph

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Enough said… this project is now complete!

Summary Aging Chart

Summary Aging Chart Source Data

I also placed the "Protocol B Aging Source Data" pdf in my BPL profile gear list location. Now the source data is also available to those without Windows Live accounts.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hum … very waterproof when virgin, but don't some of the Cuban Fiber fabrics go downhill fast!
    Interesting …

Cheers

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Richard,

And this year's Nobel Prize goes to…..Richard. Thanks for all the good work.

Soooo, if I'm reading this chart correctly, the following statement might follow:

For the best waterproofing that lasts the longest use PU Nylon, Plastizote or Event (3 layer best). Right?

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Here's a video showing the breathability of event:

event

ziff house

@mrultralite

stuff, good work ! I'll be nice and dry in my downhill shelter!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Daryl,

"Best" starts holy wars between zealots for each "material religion" and so I will avoid using that term. Every person who makes a "rain proof" related gear decision has an implicit hierarchy of musts and wants. The chart is just data; it is not a score of musts and wants.

If your primary objective is the longest "rain proof" life (defined to be an aged HH > 1,500 mm H2O) then, the chart data shows which materials exhibit that characteristic. For the average thunderstorm, you don’t need more than 1,500 mm H2O to be “rain proof”. In other words 1,700 mm won’t keep you drier than 1,500 mm H2O. You mentioned some, but not all of those materials in the chart that meet your criteria.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Richard,

Thanks for the clarification. You are both a diplomat and a scientest.

Daryl

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

The variance between batches of the same Cuben fiber fabric IDs is not insignificant. I wonder if QC is improving over time?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Richard, thanks for all the hardwork. I'm having a hardtime accessing the source data. The link is leading me to a dead page. Not sure if it's just me. Thanks

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Aaron,

You asked a very interesting question and I have no idea what the answer is. Ken Larson has been trying to find the answer to it without any success to date. Cubic Tech does not test standard materials for applications other than those specifically mandated under contract (usually in advanced aerospace and near space applications).

Silnylon is another product in which the manufacturers don't generally provide hydrostatic head specifications or QC test for it. Offsetting this shortcoming, to some degree, was the remediation research done by Jim Woods. I thought that Ziff House's research with 2 part urethane coating might be the CTF3 equivalent but, it flaked off fairly quickly during the aging tests.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Konrad,

I also get a dead link about half the time I click the link. The other half I get the chart. I have no idea why.

Even when you get the chart you might miss it. It is small and off to one side of the screen. You must enlarge it.

Daryl

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Daryl, I've been getting the chart up fine most of the time, but its the 2nd link containing the source data that isn't working for me.

Also, were there some cuben samples that didn't make it through all 4 tests? A quick glance seems like some might be missing ( I think a couple samples from David Olsen). I'm hoping to find the optimal cuben weight that I can trust for semi-long term durability in terms of HH. I can see that 1.26oz/yd and above faired pretty well…I'm curious to know how the .70oz stuff did, but it looks like Ziff's sample was the only one, but it's not quite true to OEM specs given the extra urethane coating added.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Konrad,

Even I can't get the files on the external site to open some of the time. I just refresh my browser window and then re-click the link until I get it to work. The .pdf file has all of the source data and test notes.

If a Submission size was not large enough for a virgin test and an aging test then only the virgin test was done. This was part of Protocol B to insure that Roger Caffin always had a virgin copy for verification.

Batch 1 (submissions 1 – 22) only had one aging cycle done because most of the submissions dropped below the 1,500 mm minimum either before or after the first aging cycle. Submissions 23 – 49 had four aging cycles because the majority of the samples maintained more than 1,500 mm H20 even after the first aging cycle.

Submissions that weren't aged have a brown background. Non coated fabrics were not aged because they were not fly or floor materials. There were two batch 2 CTF3 submissions that were too small in size for a separate aging sample and have a brown background. Submission 23 had a virgin reading of 703 mm H2O (.75 oz/yd2) and submission 41 had a virgin reading >3,515 mm H2O (.51 oz/yd2).

The notes in the .pdf file also provide information supplemental to the ISO 811 test results. For example, the 3 layer eVENT had one pin hole that showed up for the first time on the fourth aging cycle.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

So I have to sign up for something called windows live to view the data?

I try very hard not to use windows stuff if I can. :^).

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Dave,

It was my understanding that you didn't have to do anything but click my links. If that doesn't work for you, then email me. I will reply to your email with the two data files as email attachments.

Ryan W

@mwilks

The first link works fine and looks great by the way. The second link is also requiring me to sign into windows live.

Thanks for the work, most informative.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools