Topic

Speaking of light; wouldn’t sharing gear make our packs much lighter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Speaking of light; wouldn’t sharing gear make our packs much lighter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Katharina, are you still under siege about this? Egads, who would have thought that "sharing" was such a controversial, polarized idea?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I had dropped it….then it came up again and I could not help myself….

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

"h people that bring similar kits to begin with, not with high maintenance people. T"

She is not high maintenance by any means. I am very grateful for that!

My standards are just very low. :D

Being serious (well, my solo gear REALLY is a bit on the dirt bag side), I rarely share gear. My typical hiking partners all come from a solo-thru hiking background. It is far easier to use our own gear. My solo gear anyway is lighter than if I was to share gear (no stove, a sub-1lb shelter etc.) Even we split the tent, the cookie gear, etc. my pack weight would probably go up!

As the other Paul alluded to, hard to share gear and be dependent on other people as well and modify a kit.

The only person I've shared gear with consistently (other than my fiancee') is a good friend I've known since Catholic school. Our hiking styles are similar, we know each other well and it easy to share gear.

A good idea…but not as practical in real life IMO for many of us. :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I wonder what Ben has to say about it?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yeah, I should not have said that , as a reply to you. Older posts had more to do with that than yours. Sorry.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"My standards are just very low. ;)"

I hope your fiancee isn't reading your post…….. ;-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Egads, who would have thought that "sharing" was such a controversial, polarized idea?"

I'm in the 'everyone take care of themselves' camp. Leave your mitts off my stuff. The only thing I'm willing to share is my germs. Then again, I'm not all that nice…… And neither are my germs…….

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ahem Doug…..didn't you borrow my knife and lighter a couple of times at Coe… ; )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Ahem Doug…..didn't you borrow my knife and lighter a couple of times at Coe… ; )"

Well, sure, I can use other people's stuff! What are you saying………

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Doug, my germs can beat your germs anyday. In fact they're on their way right now and eager to share their millisieverts!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Very few partners I've had are able to match the exquisite taste and specific backcountry needs to which I have become accustomed.

My lighter, for example, is a custom Ti Mini-Bic, with ergonomic striker and my trail name, "Big Balla!", engraved on it. I wouldn't think of sharing this. Very rare. Very expensive.

Sleep Number was commissioned for my air mattress, a custom French Cuben version filled with Ivory-billed Woodpecker Down. My sleep number is 43.

My cookpot, stove, and spork, were birthday gifts from Bandar bin Sultan, forged from a hybrid titanium/depleted uranium compound with gold inlay. Slightly heavy at 9.5 oz. for the set, but I wouldn't think of carrying anything less. Again- very expensive, very rare.

The list goes on.

But generally speaking, sharing makes me feel icky.

George Bustamante

@busto963

"Egads, who would have thought that "sharing" was such a controversial, polarized idea?"

Miguel, I do not think that this is a *polarizing idea* – in fact I think most people (and not just back packers) get it. What is amazing is that such a large percentage of people on this forum seem not to get it.

How did picking a small group of friends with shared interests/values/goals, and going out for a weekend/week plus backpacking trip become an alien and revolting concept? I wonder if this is a generation thing, or a BPL thing, or is something else going on?

Perhaps a 5-day+ unsupported back country ski trip in negative temperatures would illustrate the benefits of sharing!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

@ Douglas

Ooops! You are right! ;)

I am just lucky…and I know it!!! :D

I must confess, though, I've been known to share some libations packed in occasion. That's gear..right???

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I think one aspect of this is that people develop ways of packing their gear so their load stays tight and self supporting in a frameless pack. Then they are reluctant to change that system on a one off basis to share items. Maybe we all cherish the idea that we are independent too, and can decide to hike a different hike on a whim, without being tied to the person who brought something you are sharing the use of.

Plus, we get some fun comparing our gear at camp and cross checking performance.

Sad ain't it? :-)

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

My group of friends are unorganized and noncommittal. Plus, excluding me, their average pack weight is 50lbs. I don't want to use, then be made to feel I must hike anything that came out of a 50lb pack. Though, I'm extremely amused at the amazing things which come out of those packs 15 miles in the middle of the woods. Last fall a friend of mine hiked in 2 medium sized pumpkins to carve, just to amuse everyone. I'm still not sure how he got them in his pack.

I'm not opposed to sharing but planning it ahead of time with my friends doesn't work. I've tried it. The group roster changes dramatically from initial planning to trail head. Some who say they are going don't show up and others that never said there were going appear.

I'm usually the only one with a water filter so I share that. I have one friend who brings enough food for 3 people, bonus. Food trading is common. I like to trade Mountain house for a can of beef stew that I didn't have to hike in:)

One time a friend of mine showed up at the trailhead with a bag of oranges and a tent (no backpack). He needed to borrow everything except, well, oranges and a shelter. It was actually pretty funny and we all admired his tenacity. It was a group of 12 people so sharing gear to help out one guy wasn't a big deal. On a funnier note his tent was an old Coleman 4 person. Must have weighed 10lbs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Doug, my germs can beat your germs anyday. In fact they're on their way right now and eager to share their millisieverts!"

Youse guy ain't seen nuttin' until you've experienced an Afghani amoeba playing roto rooter in your large intestine. It takes more than a few stinking millisieverts to intimidate them. ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"How did picking a small group of friends with shared interests/values/goals, and going out for a weekend/week plus backpacking trip become an alien and revolting concept? I wonder if this is a generation thing, or a BPL thing, or is something else going on?"

I think a significant number of BPLers may have unwittingly infected themselves with "Rand-itis" by participating in one or more of the political threads over in Chaff. The only known cure is a multiple shot regimen of Laphroaig, administered by a fellow backpacker who thoughtfully brought enough along to share. Lavagulin is also reputed to posess curative powers for this pernicious malady. There may be others, as well. Research is in the early stages.

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

In the interest of brevity, share what the group is tolerant to share.

The more experienced in the party should be considerate to share gear if with noobs and all that should be clearly communicated well in advance.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I've heard this question being asked as of late.

"Speaking of light; wouldn't sharing gear make our packs much lighter?"

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

LOL! If I remember correctly, everyone had their own stove at the GGG…..

But, thankfully, Peter shared the 16 pound bag of charcoal he packed in. Glad we didn't each feel the need to carry one in….

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yikes.
    That thread got me into trouble . What's new ?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Some had multiple stoves. I might not bring anything to the next one. Probably make out fine.

Still, depending on the trip the idea still has merit. I don't mind the sharing of gear.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

I may have a unique perspective on this. I hike solo, and I hike with a boyfriend, and I hike with friends, and I hike with meetup groups, aka strangers. I also hike with students of my backpacking class.

I only share gear with my boyfriend. Occasionally a particular friend who is evenly paced with me. Why?

Because people don't hike the same pace, and people are unpredictable. I learned from Search and Rescue – the umpty-billion searches that start with a friend or family member coming out of the wilderness, running to a phone, and calling for help because they couldn't find Joe. He was right behind me, and then he wasn't! and he doesn't have a map or a filter or the inner part of the tent, and he doesn't have the food! Just a few snack bars! Then there was the group of three old gents we ran into on the Alta trail at Mehrten Meadow. Well, two old gents, looking for the third. They got into an argument way back off trail just before the two stopped for water. Number three walked off in a snit and they hadn't seen him in hours. Figuring he had to be somewhere on the trail, they went forward on the planned itinerary. Never found out if they ever found him again, but I did help them get information out to the rangers.

I learned from the meetup groups that the very best way to organize a meetup group is to get everyone, other than the couples and the dearest of friends, packing their own stuff. "I can't keep hiking, I need to go back." "I feel sick." And then some disgruntled and perfectly healthy person they carpooled with, or is sharing their tent, or is sharing their stove and bear can, has to walk back out with them. Or, the speed demon who can't possibly slow down and hike with the rest of us – off he goes five miles per hour and we don't see him again for a day – or two. Then there was the lady who swore she would stay with the group no matter what, who vanished up the pass somewhere, so when someone else got sick and the rest of the group opted to help carry his stuff and walk him out, no one could catch up to her. What if she had someone's stove or tent?

You really have to have a good solid relationship to be certain that person you are sharing with is going to be there with you the whole way. You can get promises all you like, you really don't know what people will do under stress, even if they are someone you hiked with before.

The backpacking class? the entire point is to be prepping to backpack. So everyone brings a full kit and uses it independently.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all

Almost every time I go backpacking with friends we share gear, and it works out great! We only bring one water filter, one stove…etc. it makes things a lot easier and lighter for everyone. having said that, if I did not know the people I was going with very well, I would be more reluctant to share gear. I have one friend that I have been backpacking a lot with over the years, and we have a great system of sharing gear.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

I ALWAYS share gear. It just makes sense, lighter weight, the group can move faster. A lot of this comes from my background as a climber. You share gear and you KEEP THE GROUP TOGETHER! Yes people move at different paces, but it is not that difficult to regroup. i don't go climbing or hiking with other people to be alone! If I want to be alone and truly travel at my own pace, then I go solo, otherwise we all stay together. Yes I will go on ahead of slower companions, but wait at any point where folks might get confused or if I have been our of sight or sound for very long. It really isn't not that hard and makes the trip more enjoyable for all to stick together.

As for this quote: "if I did not know the people I was going with very well, I would be more reluctant to share gear"

If I did not know the people I was going with very well, I would go alone!

Just my perspective, take it as you like.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools