Topic

What size backpack for my Wife?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What size backpack for my Wife?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    David Spell

@spesrf25

Since this post seemed to offend, I will delete my initial comments and and rethink how to ask the question not to offend anyone. I apologize for being insensitive. I was only trying to get some recommendations for packs for my significant other, not to appear sexist. I cannot delete the post, but kindly ask the moderators to delete it when possible. Thanks!

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

First you need to determine your wife's torso size, which is measured from the top of the iliac crest (hipbone) to the top vertebra. Most pack manufacturers will indicate the proper size for their packs based upon this measurement. If you possibly can, ask her to try different sizes in a shop. Knowledgable personnel know how to size and tweak the packs in their inventory.

As to how much she'll carry, that depends on your hiking style (not all of us are SUL, even on this site)and itineraries (day hikes, weeklong treks, or something in between), your wife's strength and fitness levels, and how you split up food and common gear such as a tent or stove. I advise you to go easy on her at first – see how she likes hiking with a pack on a short hike with an easy bail-out. Be prepared to take some of her gear if she tires or the shoulder straps dig in or the weather turns bad. Or if she asks nicely.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you are interested in ultralight, the Crestrail 70 probably isn't what you are looking for. You might want to read a little more here before making that purchase.

That aside, I would get your wife involved in the selection. Fitting a pack is like fitting shoes, with many variables, physical *and* perceptual. As to how much she will carry, only experience will tell, and how much she is interested and dedicated in backpacking. I guess you could look at gear lists from the female members here, but you will be looking at the results of years of experience and a keen interest in developing an UL kit. There are so many body types, ages, physical conditioning and the rest, that makes it a very general question.

If you are introducing anyone to hiking and backpacking, I would start with day hikes and graduate to simple overnight trips. People who are not used to the wilderness have a lot to take in at once: the physical exertion, bugs, fear of getting lost, wild animals, spending your first night on the ground in absolute darkness, and so on. Some are fascinated with the process, easy-going and flexible; others may be resistant to the idea and a "hard sell." Tread lightly!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

go to rei, get her to try on any pack that fits … stuff 20-30 lbs in there … get her to walk around and go up and down the stairs

its like cinderella … if the shoe fits … shes the one!!!

and of course you can return it if it doesnt work out

hopefully itll be something that weighs less than 3 lbs

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

OK, at the risk of sounding like a b*tch, I have to say this because I was more than somewhat taken back by your question: "For those of you who backpack with wives, how much do they typically carry and what size pack to they have?"

REALLY???

How about "For you WOMEN out there who backpack, how much do YOU carry and what size pack do YOU have?"

I could rant some more but I think you get my point.

David Spell

@spesrf25

Point taken.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

If you live near an REI take her in there and let her walk around with different packs with the max weight you think she will carry.

What one woman likes, may be severely uncomfortable for another. Case in point, when my wife was shopping for her pack, there was another women doing the same. They pretty much put weight in every single pack and just traded back and forth. The pack my wife bought, was the pack that the other women liked the least, and the pack the other woman bought was the pack my wife liked the least. I was kind of surprised as they had similar builds, but goes to show that you need to wear the pack with weight in it to know what is comfortable for you.

Her pack should be the last thing you buy. Buy everything else, then see how much volume it all takes up, and how much it all weighs. Then shop for packs that will hold everything, and carry them around with the amount of weight everything weighs.

All that being said, since you asked, my wife loves her Deuter ACT lite 60+10. I have the men's version as well. They definitely aren't Ultra light, but they'll carry a heavier load like a dream. They also have adjustable shoulder straps, so one size fits all, you don't have to worry about finding your torso length.

http://www.rei.com/product/795606

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

+1 Sumi!!!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Saw that coming :)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

And split the weight 50/ 50 or the ladies here will be mad

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Maybe we mis-read the post and he wants to carry his wife in the pack? MANLY, eh what?

[getting out my titanium potty trowel to dig a foxhole]

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Like the 'backpack for kids' thing! Ha yep

David Spell

@spesrf25

I did want to carry her, but now I will ask her to carry me. Thanks for the input everyone.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Just to clarify and I promise not to belabor the point any further than this. It really isn't about how much women are capable of carrying. It's about coming to a public forum like this and assuming that the people who might provide the best advice about appropriate backpacking gear for his wife would be other men "who backpack with their wives."

It's sort of asking for medical advice from people who play one on TV… ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I know I always carry a slightly larger volume pack than I really need–so when my husband tires I can carry some of his gear for him. Sorry, couldn't resist, but, really: I plan the trip, dehydrate the food for FBC meals, organize all the gear and maps, and sometimes even load his pack; and carry at least half the weight. All he has to do is show up.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Hey Kimberly got a sister

Scott Johnson

@scottyjsr

Locale: The GREAT pacific Northwest

My wife acually got me into serious Backpacking quite a few years ago and the reason why I joined this site is that the gear that we owned was HEAVY HEAVY and too me it was alot of work… She is a small women and very athletic and has ran me into the ground.. Ive seen her carry 40 plus for days and I have ended up carrying more…Beacause we would have the tendency to bring the kitchen sick to share with others on the trips… So I am pleased to say finding this site to LIGHTEN the LOAD… I am thankful for this site and my wife for HELPING me enjoy this wonderful adventure! What I have been doing is watching and seeing what others carry and use for gear and WE am on OUR way to a lighter load… Thanks ALL

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

Nothing at all wrong with your original question.

I came on here a few months back and asked what size pack and how much weight folks thought my 13 year old son could carry on a jmt hike. I didt get angry emails from kids or their organizations.

People have different strengths, in our marriage I am the planner and researcher, she simply wants to know what time to show up. On the other hand, she handles all our bills, in fact I haven't seen a paycheck in years and couldn't begin to tell you how much we have in the bank.

I can also say from a fitness perspective she can flat whip my but (although I can still run faster than she can when she is chasing me)

Maybe this is the way their relationship works for them, and maybe that wouldn't work in yours, but that doesn't mean either of you is wrong.

I see no need to come on a public forum and label someone as sexist.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

My wife first was happy with a Gregory Z pack (an older model), about 3 lbs. More recently she likes a 1.5 lb Golite Woman's Pinnacle. We like roomy packs…we can put bread and rehydrating food on top and it doesn't get squashed.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"OK, at the risk of sounding like a b*tch, I have to say this because I was more than somewhat taken back by your question: "For those of you who backpack with wives, how much do they typically carry and what size pack to they have?"

REALLY???"

Well, at least you were willing to take the risk……

Perhaps that's why he came on here asking for other men's opinions, he didn't want to get b*tched at by asking women……

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

"(although I can still run faster than she can when she is chasing me)"

The "when she is chasing me" part is cracking me up. Good stuff.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> I see no need to come on a public forum and label someone as sexist.

I actually don't recall anyone being labeled as a sexist. I think the OP's original question was poorly directed, which I tried to point out without a lot of fuss and my impression was that he got it. ("Point taken.")

My objection has NOTHING to do with anyone's relationships, roles in their marriages, which spouse is stronger/faster/smarter… I have no problem with him asking advice on behalf of his wife. My issue was that he directed his question specifically to the HUSBANDS. If you actually go back and read my response, you'll see that I was only suggesting that he might ask the WOMEN, since the question was about women's gear.

I know I promised that I wouldn't belabor the point but I don't like my statements being taken out of context or their meanings twisted.

And as for your comparison to asking advice for a 13 year old, I think you just made my point. We women backpackers aren't children.

>> Perhaps that's why he came on here asking for other men's opinions, he didn't want to get b*tched at by asking women……

I'm sure the OP is really grateful for having you in his corner. Good luck with that attitude.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Gee… I'm glad I didn't ask what kind of boots your wives use!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

While Sumi's tone may have been a bit harsh, considering an innocent and well meaning question, there is a point to be made there. I have come close several times to writing a post that points out how often posts and remarks are made, as if we women aren't even on this Forum. Sure, mostly no harm is intended, but "boots are like women", " the wife…(whatever else)", comparing us to children….it all adds up. I have wondered if other women are just more tolerant than myself, or if it's not even worth it and they know it.
    I think it's fine to address other men , but we are here too. It is also fine to have more traditional roles in relatioships, and husbands who do all the handywork, and women who don't like to sleep outside, don't carry their stuff, don't know how to start a fire, drive a tractor, change their oil etc. I really think whatever works for you is just dandy. BUT, don't assume we are all like that .
    Also, if we come on strong, we are Bitching you out, but when men come on strong…it does not quite get a name like that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools