Topic

Titanium JetBoil – The Sol Ti

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium JetBoil – The Sol Ti

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

I ordered mine online thru Hermit's Hut and it arrived on April 8. Haven't tried it yet but did weigh it. So, on my scale it was 8.5oz including cup.lid and stove but not including the support for the canister or the extra pot support thing. Also not including the cup/cover that goes over the bottom of the pot. With that added in , the weight is 9.7 ozs. Not sure that cover is needed, tho if you dented the bottom of the pot, it would then not fit on the burner I suppose. Thoughts?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey All,

I finally got my hands on the Jetboil Sol Ti last Thursday.

I did up a video review on it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnd8hDa16cg

I had a chance to use it this weekend on a BPL group hike on the Lost Coast Trail.

Overall weight of the Sol Ti would be more than acceptable for those folks who are casual hikers, weekend hikers, and/or just about anybody who is already in (or looking to decrease too) the total cook kit weight of between 5 and 10 ounces. Obviously if you are an esbit lover than the idea of going from ~0.36 ounces to 8.5+ ounces is unthinkable, but for just about everybody else, I honestly do think the Jetboil Sol Ti is the first Jetboil worthy of making it into an UL backpack setup.

If I were to rate this one a 0-4 point system (5 being best) I would give it a 2.5.

I would remove a half a point because there is a black rubber-like handle on it that is just beyond a joke – of which every person on the trip who tried it agreed. Included with this is the fact that the sleeve is just not secure enough. When it is full of water and you pick up the pot the entire sleeve slides up above the top of the pot.

I would remove another full point because I had some rather series leakage from the fuel port – where it screws into the fuel canister – every time I have screw the stove unit onto a canister. There is this one small point (about one full rotation of the can) where it just spews out the fuel. At one point I had so much fuel leakage that I could feel the liquid fuel dripping off my fingers. I have used multiple fuel cans from multiple manufacturers (including jetboil canisters) and every single one of them have had this happen.

The Sol Ti fit well within the side pocket of my ZPacks Blast 26, as well as a ULA Circuit and Ohm that others had.

Boil times are what we expect from a Jetboil but even a little faster due to the slightly smaller (0.80) pot.

I do wish that Jetboil could find a way to reduce the weight on the fuel stabilizer. It is not included in their published weight because it hits the scales at exactly 1 ounce. Considering how helpful it can be at times they really do need to find a way to reduce the weight of this item.

If I were to take it out with me again I would: (1) cut the black rubber handle off, and (2) leave the 'measuring cup' at home.

Weights on my scale:

Pot: 4.70 oz
    Stove: 3.55 oz
    Lid: 0.65 oz
    Fuel Stand: 1.0 oz
    Pot Stand: 1.25 oz
    Cup: 1.15

Michael Moore

@lilricky

Jetboil gave people who "liked" them on Facebook an opportunity to buy it early directly from them. The handle seems like an after thought if anything. Also, something I left out from my earlier post is that if you lift the companion cup full of water(with gloves on, HOT!), with the handle, the sleeve tends to slide up the cup. I haven't seen it completely come off, but it is worrisome. A simple fix for Jetboil to do, is make the sleeve a little bit tighter. As for the handle itself, not sure how to reinforce it, was thinking about cutting it off and using something a bit sturdier, one and a half inch nylon strapping perhaps, similar to the original PCS.

I gave the Jetboil Sol Ti(JST?) the ultimate test last night. Since I live in Florida, I don't have sub-freezing temperatures outside, so, I took the cup, burner, and fuel canister and placed them in my freezer with the cup filled with ice cubes. I then waited an hour to get the whole system nice and cold. I then took it out and fired it up. After 7 minutes and 45 seconds, the JST brought the ice cubes to a full rolling boil. Very, very impressive! I don't have my camera with me right now, but when I do, I will replicate the test and post it on Youtube for you guys to see.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

After sending several e-mails over the years asking JetBoil to make a much lighter version and I would buy it, I finally decided to put my money where my mouth is placed an order with campsaver and the 20% off coupon.

Interestingly enough, JetBoil was always very confident in their correspondence that they would never make one out of titanium since heat transfer wasn't good. Sounds a though it's fine.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I'm not positive this has any real meaning; but I just noticed that my REI order for the Sol Ti has changed from a status of "On Backorder" to "In Process, Not Shipped Yet". At least it sounds hopeful!!!

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Just thought I would add my measurements and comparison the the original. The first listed weight is the PCS and the second is the ti in ounces:

Pot w/ cozy – 6.8, 4.4
    burner unit – 6.0, 3.4
    lid – 1.2, .6
    stabilizer – 1.0, 1.0
    base cup – 0.9, 1.1

It's interesting that the original stove's bottom cup is slightly lighter but everything else is considerably heavier. An earlier poster who had received his Sol ti said he experienced fuel leakage when removing the canister. I attached and then removed the fuel cartridge 6 times with NO leakage at all. This was with a giga power and jetboil, each being attached and removed 3 times. With only two of us reporting on this, it would be nice if others would chime in to determine if this is a design flaw seen on a number of units or just an isolated case.

I will be making a more substantial cozy, as the one provided is inadequate for handling the stove when full of hot boiled water. The handle is just an afterthought and should have been left off. I never used it on the PCS either so I am fine with that. Overall I shaved 6 oz for $20/oz…..a little costly but I also have a smaller packed size and hopefully, better cold weather performance. I should find out soon enough.

Doug Reeves
    Spectator

@strawman

Locale: God's Country

Got my Ti today. Weighs 8.8 oz as I would use it (doesn't include measuring cup, fuel stabilizer stand, or pot support). Plus weight of fuel canister. Will be very slightly less after I remove the ridiculously useless handle. Boiled 16oz of cold faucet water in under a minute and a half. I have a Caldera Tri Ti that I will no doubt be selling. The new Jetboil is a few oz heavier but ridiculously quick and easy.

I had no fuel leakage issues as another member posted. I also found the cozy to offer enough insulation that I could hold it after the water had come to a full boil. Of course, everyone's heat sensitivity will be different.

All in all, very impressed. I've been tempted by the Jetboil's convenience in the past but have shied away because of the weight. No longer.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

Got mine yesterday. Made some vids packing/unpacking/using. It works as advertised, fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lsmn-RrPXpc

In my personal journey I started with a 2 x 1L pot Trangia and I'm spending next weeks learning 1-pot cooking and then expect to pick a Caldera Cone setup, I'm not sure on pot sizes or if want 1 or 2 pot. Leaning towards one 1L pot currently.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

I tried to make porridge

http://photobucket.com/porridge

I need to change approach because I could not get the flame low enough (without flame going out) which would not burn. That probably means can only do meals which bring water to boil, turn off heat and cosy and let soak up the water.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools