Topic

Friendly expertise on camping. Please READ!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Friendly expertise on camping. Please READ!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

Shoot chris, I just use my sleeve, and thats a site to see.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Chris Me thinks this would work as long as you turn the paper the right way when you put the filter back together but I dont want to hyjack this thread

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Does working at REI prepare you for dealing with a lot of smart ass comments ?

Is it better to have a 3lb gear list on your computer, or a 15 pound gear list on your back ?

Do you think sitting around online bitching about the 'all in trek' prepares one to be a better hiker ?

Have you ever taken a myer briggs personality test ? Are you familiar with the personality traits of a mob of people with the 'J' ?

Good luck.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Hence, Wildlife feed on you

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Actually, keep feeding. Anything to push the cuben thread way down to where it really belongs. Thanks in advance. :)

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Chris, since you're bringing that gerber camp axe ( I love mine! I bring it on every trip) you can totally nix the toilet paper. I usually just cut the bark off trees and use it as TP. It works especially well if you cut the bark off green live trees–it's softer on the skin.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I can't watch! STOP this madness! He's a person too!

Ben, quick, call him some horrible name so this thread can steer off into chaff-land . . .

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

GOOD GAWD ALMIGHTY!!! So someone comes by thinking he's got something under his belt and wants to share. AMAZING how the rest of you react fast and furious!! LOL….

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have a few questions:

1) Is the hydrostatic head of cuben adequate for my needs?

2) What is a good gun to carry for my AT thru-hike? And not just for protection, for hunting down my food. I want stopping power because of the bears, mountain lions and such, but I don't want something so powerfull that I can't use it for squirrel and rabbit hunting.
    Or maybe I need to bring two or more guns?

3) Do you think this pack might be too much for an AT thru-hike? I know it's appropriate for desert hiking, but…:
    The Flextrek 37Trillion

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

That Flextrek 37 Trillion looks awesome, do they sell it at REI ? ; )

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ben,
    Relax….step back a bit.

It's just sarcasm and satire.

No big deal.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just "enhanced" my post up above. Even with a fish picture and all… the faux mockery and sarcasm didn't come through quite enough! :)

roberto nahue
    BPL Member

@carspidey

Locale: san fernando valley

are hilarious… :D

I started backpacking (actually first backpacking trip was about a year ago and started again two months ago) two months and now my base weight is under 13lbs :D…

I only go to REI for fuel and check some stuff out… most of my stuff i get through the GEAR SWAP…

this forum is amazing…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Hey Konrad and others that use the Gerber Hatchet,
    Do you think it is a better tool for carving initials in trees?

I find that my hand cramps up after while using my machete.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So much for playing nice.

Ahren Grunow

@atticusace84

I think that some of you missed the point. I merely want to provide any answers to questions people might have, not compare gear or try and say that i know how to pack lighter than you. How many people here actually know how to fit a pack or pick out a filter or what is an EN rating on a sleeping bag, that's all. If some of you don't like me offering some simple, kind advice, don't read it.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Hey Ahren,

Are you new to this forum?

If you had been on it for a while, you'd understand the inside jokes.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Steven, Steven, Steven, you're way too old school for me. For working my initials into real tough bark I'm quite fond of the soto pocket torch. I picked mine up at REI!

torch

http://www.rei.com/product/806554

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I think that some of you missed the point. I merely want to provide any answers to questions people might have, not compare gear or try and say that i know how to pack lighter than you. How many people here actually know how to fit a pack or pick out a filter or what is an EN rating on a sleeping bag, that's all. If some of you don't like me offering some simple, kind advice, don't read it."

LOL!!! YES, PLEASE FEED ME!!!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

You are a long way ahead of me when I found this site after reading their bible. I knew a lot about gear before this but my type of gear and the way I use it is changing alot. I lurked on here for years B4 ever posting anything and a lot of these guys came from the 60 plus pound packs also. There are guys and gals here who could start a 4yr collage on lightweight ultra light and super ultra light and many go farther than I ever want to learn. Just check the cuben fiber threads going on recently to see what I mean. Any way welcome and hope to see posts from you in the future Mark

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Yes Ahren,

Some of us are bored at work(not me!)

Or are too bored discussing the hydrostatic head of cuben fabric(not me again!).

Your post came at just the right time:-)

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Anyone else wonder if Ahren is secretly Len's alter ego, demonstrating how the BPL forum can go all whiteblaze on a poor, innocent REI worker under certain circumstances.

Not sure I understand the rules of this game, but keep it fun.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hmmmm…. there's stepping in it, and then there is sliding in it and falling backwards in it and getting it on both hands.

There are great people here and usually very forgiving of newbies, but rarely do we see one so far out of touch. Read and learn. Everything you learned at REI is subject to doubt. Nice doubt, but doubt all the same.

5 pound tents are more than a "little" heavy here. A Cuben shaped-tarp at 2.65oz and the maker warning that seam sealing adds 0.2-0.3 ounce is the neighborhood you are playing in. 5 pounds is the benchmark for a respectably light base weight.

Post that gear list in the proper forum and we'll teach y'all how to go hikin', nice and light like :)

And Konrad, you call that a lighter? This is a lighter:

Master Microtorch MT-5

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Just grabbed my popcorn and soda-pop!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools