Topic

Hennessy vs. Warbonnet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hennessy vs. Warbonnet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jim Pemrick

@troy64

Between the two, which is better and why? It seems like Hennessy and Warbonnet are the top two manufacturers out there.

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

I have owned and used both – here is my take on it.

The BB has more room for my feet due to the foot box.

The BB has a zippered mosquito netting so that I can enter from the top of the hammock.

The BB has webbing with carabiners, I can adjust the height easier and faster without tying/untying knots.

I believe the Hyperlite HH is lighter though.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

I started with a HH Ultralight Backpacker, I spent 2 months trying to get comfortable, just could not get it to feel right. I then tried a BB and in minutes was relaxing in comfort. The weight difference from one to the other is in part that HH does not account for some of the suspension components in it's listed weight, Warbonnet takes into account all of the hammock including the suspension. Kind of like a tent company not counting the poles as part of the weight. The BB has a lot more room and for me was a lot better. Both hammocks can be modified with a different suspension to reduce the weight and pack size. The basic tarp that HH includes is undersized for most folks comfort but there are some folks that use it happily.

Once I got my BB I have not slept on the ground since, and only a handful of nights in other hammocks. I have tried a wide range of other hammocks and in my opinion there is nothing available better for me.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I've had both as well, but my Hennessy has been sold, with no regrets.

The Warbonnet hammocks, Blackbird or Traveler, are very roomy and comfortable. I have no plans for moving to any other hammock.

James Neal

@laien

Locale: Ozarks

I have both and prefer the Warbonnet. I like my Blackbird fine, but the Traveler is my favorite because of the lighter weight and versatility.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No weird shelf thing with a HH. Plenty of room for my 6'3" self in my HH. You can get a side zip version now too. Easy to set up. Comes complete ready to use. You can get them at REI to try it out. The Traveler is easy enough to make yourself. You'll have to see what works for you. There is always Gear Swap.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Had a HH. Sold it. Got a warbonnet. Liked it much better but sold it. Got a bridge. Like it best. Now awaiting supplies to make a lighter DIY version.

Raul Perez

@watermonkey

I did a video review of both hammocks many moons ago. Here's Part 1:

YouTube video

Cary Beuershausen

@kudzu

I'll throw out that at a recent hang here in Florida a number of us took the opportunity to try out a Switchback from Tree To Trail Gear and fell in love with it. A couple of us have already traded our Hennessy/WBBBs in for them. Just this week my Light Hiker arrived and I wish I would've changed a long time ago.

I find the LH more comfortable than the HH (Explorer Ultralight) and being able to get the netting out of the way and side entrance are very nice. I never did get around to doing the zipper mod on my HH and I guess they've seen the light since they're offering that as an option now.

If you can find someone with a Switchback you might be surprised. I tried the Blackbird as well and didn't find it nearly as comfortable and I didn't like the shelf obstructing my view on one side.

I have a picture-laden article on my blog.
    http://www.idratherbehiking.com/light-hiker-hammock

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

If I had to buy only one hammock I would probably get a bridge hammock – but that is outside the scope of the OP's question…

So, I would say if I had to get a HH or WB I would go with the WB Blackbird.

That said, if I could have more than one hammock I would first go with a GrizzBridge than I would go with the WB Blackbird and than I would pick up a WB Traveler.

I did a video on the WB Traveler awhile back – it is unquestionably the most comfortable gathered-end hammock I have used.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

My first (and only) hammock was (and is) a Hennessy Hyperlight (not to be confused with the Ultralight which is a few ounces heavier. I haven't looked at other hammocks because I've been extremely comfortable in the Hennessy. My only reason for looking elsewhere would be if there was a complete solution — hammock, netting, tarp that was lighter.

One thing a lot of people seem to like is the ease of adjustment of the hanging straps of the WB. I was impressed by it too but not enough to justify the extra weight. Instead, I started using a simple quick release temporary knot to hold the hammock so I could center it, then I'd pull out the temporary knot and do the traditional lashing.

My motto is, "If you absolutely positively need to have it in the morning, take it inside at night". I hang my boots over the interior ridge line and kick them to the end of the hammock.

update: Two important things have happened since I made this entry. I removed the original suspension lines and replaced them with adjustable Whoopie Slings which are lighter than War Bonnet's adjustable system. I don't see any reason why the Whoopie Sling can't be fitted to the WB though.

Second, I went on an 1800 mile hike with my Hennessy. I never had any trouble getting to sleep or getting in and out through the bottom entry. I honestly can't figure out what it is that some people have trouble with in that regard. If you can sit down in a chair, you can get in and out of a Hennessy. Nor do I know what the difficulty some have with sleeping on their side in the Hennessy is. I sleep on my side all the time. They only thing I can figure is they might not know that the Hennessy is cut so you sleep on the bias. I also weathered quite a few storms with the small tarp. As long as its adjusted right, I stay dry. (I have had to get out to adjust it a couple of times when I got careless).

chad patzer

@thexuprising

I prefer the Blackbird by far.

Gary Rath

@mudisfun

Locale: PNW

I have a WB and a HH Explorer UL.
    Both have the adjustable strap suspension.
    The HH has the 2QZQ mod 4 done to it.

My HH is by far my favorite hammock for Winter use.
    During the summer months I switch back and forth..

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I have used my HH Hyperlight (same as mentioned above) for about 10 nights total so far and find it fine for my sleeping, but I sleep pretty easily. The first few times I used it, my first hammock, I had to figure out a good sleep position, but now not so much. I also have the HH "super system" and have slept, mostly comfortably, down to freezing with it.

I recently purchased a second hand WB Traveler 1.7 single to use for winter when I don't need to worry about bugs. 342g weighted.

I just converted my Hyperlight to a whoopie setup and it's even lighter now, the Traveler had already had this done by the original owner. 700g for the HH, though I can't remember if this was pre- or post- whoopie conversion…

I haven't had a chance to try the Traveler yet, but hopefully will get to go out with it in a few weeks. I have a HammockGear Phoenix 0deg UQ in the mail.

Matthew mcgurk
    BPL Member

@phatpacker

Locale: Central coast California

In my blackbird I wake up completely rested, better than my bed that is worth any weight difference there is between the two. The foot box alows you to lay on your side. If you dont like the box you can put you pack in it for storage. This WBBB is the single best peice of gear I have ever owned

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

"seems like Hennessy and Warbonnet are the top two manufacturers out there" may well be true, but neither is known for making light gear. The first has a one light model and the other has none. Both do sell small tarps that save weight at the expense of good coverage. You could try used gear until you find what suits you.

For me, a below average height guy, the one size fits all of WB hammocks seemed to leave too much unused fabric for me to like carrying one of them. I often do not need a bug net so the HH products were overbuilt for my use, and some of Mr. Hennessy's past business practices reduce my desire to buy his products.

Hammock designs and dimensions are still evolving, with slightly longer ones getting claims of more comfort. Butt-In-A-Sling (BIAS) hammocks are making long, narrow Weight Weenie Micro hammocks from light weight materials, with the options of foot and pillow extensions.

Kevin Flynn
    BPL Member

@kmflynn_01

I am primarily a canoeist with most of my trips being in the BWCA and Quetico.
    I have used an HH on a couple of occasions and now own a warbonnet blackbird. I prefer the warbonnet – for me, it just works and feels better.

Jack Richland

@blackscoutsurvival

Warbonnet RidgeRunner

My first Hammock was a Hennessy Hammock and used it for quite sometime. I honestly got tired of the suspension system and the bottom velcro entry (they also have side zippered entry). I just could not get comfortable in the HH. I then got the Warbonnet Blackbird and after hanging in it a few times, I went in the backyard and burned the Hennessy.

I seen in a comment above referring to bridge style hammocks and agree they are really comfortable. I recently got the new Warbonnet RidgeRunner (warbonnet's bridge style hammock); and I must say it is excellent and well worth the money. I've attached a picture from my website review. I have reviews of most of the popular hammocks on the market on the site.

Bottom line you will be very happy with the money spent for Warbonnet products.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

I also have both. They truly are different beasts. For me the HH was pretty uncomfortable and no matter what I did the bottom entry was a pain and drafty since I tend to move in my sleep which played havoc with the Velcro. Also, at 6'1" I always felt cramped in my HH. Still it is a great product and I believe HH is now making a zipper version similar to the WB entry without the bottom slit. My WB, single 1.1, is more comfortable to me by far but a little heavier,11.5 oz more. Also the shelf in the WB gets way more use then I thought. It is the perfect place to slip shoes and my rolled up empty bag at night. No more worrying about raccoons eating my shoes!You really can not go wrong with either one but put me down in the WB camp.

Chris Valery
    BPL Member

@fortran42

Locale: Western North Carolina

I've had the chance to use a WBBB1.7, HH Hyperlite, HHExpedition, and my DIY HH1.9. Personally i prefer the Hennessy over WB. The extra fabric for the shelf/zipper side on the WB completely obstructs the view and ventilation in my experience; Also the "footbox" requires that you sleep in one direction only..the HH you can flip 180 degrees if needed. I've changed my H's to whoopie slings & cinch buckles and they work great. The HH Exped is bottom entry+mod3 side zip; others are side zip entry which i prefer for underquilt use. Again just My Opinion.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

For me, the Blackbird never worked, since I did not even reach the foot box. I also did not like the shelf.
    I like the open Traveller.
    The Hennessy Hyperlite is very comfortable and the complete set up is light and convenient.

Lapsley Hope

@laps

I used the Hennessy for a couple of years, then bought a Blackbird. I gave the Hennessy away.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I started with an older model hennessy that I had a 2QZQ #4 mod done on. I honestly liked the hennessy but wanted something lighter so I bought a Warbonnet Traveler. I just sold the hennessy to a friend whose son is getting into hammock camping. I love my traveler and will never go back to the ground. It's amazing how great I sleep in my hammock, and on top of that my whole system is lighter than my old tarp/bivy setup.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools