Topic

Platypus alternative hose fittings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Platypus alternative hose fittings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    put put

@putput

Locale: Hawaiian Islands

Does anyone know of an alternate screw-on hose fitting for platypus bottles. Specifically, it would be used for a inline gravity filter setup with a Sawyer filter. I know that platypus used to make a hose fitting that has been discontinued and I believe the only way to get them now is to buy the whole kit. Since I already have the bladders, hoses, and filters all I need is a way to connect them.

Here is what I know about the platypus caps:

– 28mm (same size as many screw top drink bottles)
    – Fittings were originally made by Colder Products Company as a custom product. I emailed them and the response confirmed that but offered no specifics as to current retailers.

I am looking for something that would screw on to a platypus bottle then couple with the standard(?) .25" hosing.

Maybe something like this, but I have not been able to find them in the correct size:Nylon female fitting

Alliteratively, I did try to make one out of a used soda cap bottle and a loose barb fitting, and while it works at home I would not trust its durability on the trail when my water supply depends on it.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Ken — Thank you for the link. (I will use the post office delivery. The home delivery looks a little steep).

put put

@putput

Locale: Hawaiian Islands

That makes it easy for me. I'm sure there is a creative solution out there, but since there is still a supply and the price is so good I even ordered a couple extra.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Glad to help. Paul is a good guy to deal with.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Try this. Pull the bite valve off, which leaves you with a hard plastic stem that you can attach your tubing to. The nice thing is that the hard stem rotates to open/close the outlet.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/platy-accessories/hyperflow-cap/product

paul ron

@camper10469

Locale: North East

I broke mine by accident n asked platty if I can buy another, they sent me one free cuz I asked nicely.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools