Topic

I want a new headlamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I want a new headlamp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here

http://www.zebralight.com/

bottom of page on clearance..

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Thanks!

The H31 is sold out. The H31W is still on sale, but it wasn't listed on the bottom of the page. I had been debating whether to get a cool white headlamp (the H31) or a neutral headlamp (the H31W). But the cool white, H31 (which would have been $10.00 more) was sold out, so it made my decision easy. I ordered the H31W.

According to the website's specs, it's still a very bright light:

High: 161 Lumens (.9 hrs) or 87 Lumens (2 hrs)
    Medium: 32 Lumens (12 hrs) or 17 Lumens (23 hrs)
    Low: 3.2 Lumens (4 days) or 0.3 Lumens (21 days)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I bit and ordered one- H31w XP-E. I did a little reading before ordering, from everything I read you want the neutral light option for outdoor activities (vs the cool white- even though it's a little brighter)

then wanted to know the difference between the XP-E (on sale) vs XP-G (not on sale)- the XP-G is the newer led- a little more power and a little more "floody"- to the untrained eye probably tough to tell them apart

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

Bob, I was wondering what strap that you used for your head lamp? .22 oz?

thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Mike I think you'll be happy. It's a nice color light. Good beam too. Since it's my first Zebralight I have nothing else to compare it to. Plus it was on sale.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I used the glow-in-the-dark silicone holder and a Croakies (eyeglasses) strap. Rather than using buckles and things to add weight, I simply sewed it on.

–B.G.–

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

After reading here I purchased an h31 (since I already have a steripen).

I used it this weekend and found that the switch will come on in your pack. Lucky I had my photon or I would have been sol.

Never had my bd come on in my pack, this switch on the end is just too easy to hit somehow I suppose.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Loosen the tail cap when storing. Issue solved.
    +1

Doesn't take much either, like half a turn.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ thanks, batteries are little spendy :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

batteries are little spendy

batteryjunction.com less than $1.50 each.

Justin R
    Spectator

@5150bronco

Locale: Bay Area, Ca.

has anybody looked into the spark st6?

How well does this do in weight and performance for backpacking? thanks.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

I looked at the ST6 – lots of light but about 5.3 oz with the 18650 battery or 2 CR123s. The 18650 is expensive, and you must be more careful with the Lith-ion rechargeables. If you really need 400+ lumens it is a good option. Might be a lottle forward heavy though with the battery and light up front.

I think the ST-5 looks like an interesting option – AA battery, 2.5oz total and 3 setting from 5 – 125 lumens for the ST5 125 OW. But I question the run time claim of 32 lum / 15 hrs…..maybe that is for the 14500 rechargeable (AA size but 3.6V, 900mah). I have also read that some early production units had some bugs (flickering, cycling, output level).

I would be curious to know if anyone has used this light and if it is legitimately any competition for the AA Zebralights.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Bob,
    After having used your zebralight H501 for a while how do you like it? I'm going to get one but I'm not sure I want the zebralight H501W or the H51.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"zebralight H501"

No complaints.

I just completed a 4300 mile driving trip to three different national parks where I did a bit of hiking. I kept the Zebralight in my pocket the whole time, just for the event that I might be caught out at night.

–B.G.–

Dutch Anderson

@silveradodutchman

Locale: Central Florida

+1,love this light

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

You got the H501, how blue is the light? The specs say 5700-6350 K, which seems to be in the cool range. I find that too blue disrupts my ability to distinguish variations of green, as in everything around me in the woods.

For a 16 lumen penalty the H501w operates at 4000-4300 K.

Am I splitting hairs? Do those 16 lumens really matter when color of the "w" should be easier on the eyes?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

H501 was the choice since 100 lumens was the chosen intensity.

It doesn't matter to me what the color temperature is as long as I process the camera's digital photo to be correct for that same color temperature.

–B.G.–

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools