Topic

myog dry bag gravity filter not so dry ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear myog dry bag gravity filter not so dry ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

i finished my myog dry bag gravity filter using the wal-mart dry bag and some

misc hose and valves from camel back got it all done and tested it to my surprise

my dry bag leaks thru the seams dumped the water out dried it out and seam sealed it on the outside of the seams let dry for a couple days and tried again same luck

leaks thru the seam sealer at the seams has anyone made one of these using another brand of drysack and if so can you guide me to which ones are best for this type project also where to get one so i can finish my filter without fear of leaking

thanks
    kevin

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

I bought the same bags for the same purpose…same results. Slow leaks from the taped seams. The tape application seemed very poorly done, re-taping could possibly work.

The easier thing to do would be to just pick up one of the sea to summit ultralight drybags. They're consistently waterproof (or mine are at least), pretty light, and low cost. Not as cheap as the walmart ones, but they actually are dry.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You get what you pay for at Wal-Mart. Your source for cheap plastic crap.

+1 on the S2S bags.

kevin smith

@divr6347

had a feeling that was the case lol

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

I've used dry bags to haul water from springs to shelters. I at least one of them was a Wal-Mart bag. They were sufficiently tight for that purpose, but I always got them wet when I filled them, so it's hard to say whether or not there was some leakage.

I recommend using a platypus container. Sometimes you need a little pressure to get those Sawyer type filters flowing. The Platy can be squeezed for that purpose.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools