Topic

Need help with planning a trip to Lost Coast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Need help with planning a trip to Lost Coast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leon Sung

@rachtak

Hi,

I'm planning to go on a 3-4(5?) day backpacking trip to the Lost Coast during my spring break (April 11-19) with a couple buddies who are all extremely fit with varying levels of Backpacking experience.

Without having all of the information in one convenient location, I'm having a very difficult time planning an itinerary for our trip. For starters, I don't have a map, so I cant tell where the trailheads start. I also am not familiar with the recommended landmarks to visit, so I don't want to run the risk of missing out on them. And logistically, I cant find out where to park, camp, etc.

If it would not be too much to ask for, I would really like to have you input on this. But please treat me as a complete newbie, leaving nothing out. I'm really interested in knowing about routes with cool landmarks (peaks, rivers, lakes, etc). Also, cool places to stay for the night. In addition, were really excited about fishing, so campsites where we could fish nearby would be spectacular.

We are definitely all in the prime of our youths and in peak physical condition, so we are up for the challenge of high mileage, terrain, etc. Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Spend the $5 on the map, tide book, information package from the BLM.

The BLM map is the best one out there. The Wilderness Press one is worthless.

Check this link. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/kingrange/krnca_maps.html

Most basic answers here. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/kingrange/index.html

It's my backyard. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

no fishing in the creeks, ocean only. Though you can fish the Mattole River which is at the northern starting point.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If you require shuttle service from Shelter Cove (on the South end) to Mattole River, to begin your trip; I recommend Roxanne Beijan. Phone: 707-986-9909. Ditto on Ken's advise re the BLM as a resource for information on the Lost Coast. I'm curious what effect the recent tsunami may have had on low lying areas and the jamming of driftwood logs way upstream. I'm planning a trip there the first week in June.

Good luck with your hike. The Lost Coast can be a really wonderful hike. Just make sure you're well prepared for the "Coast's" requirements. Tides and weather rule on the Lost Coast and Mother Nature bats last. Oh, and the bears at Big Flat. Canisters are required.

Whales off Spanish Creek – The Lost Coast
    Whales off Spanish Creek - Lost Coast - September 2007

Jim Carr

@jcarr

Locale: Humboldt County

Do not forget about the Sinkeyone Wilderness (South half of the Lost Coast)view from trail

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

For an ankle breaking good time.

How you been stranger?

Have you been back down that way?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools