Topic

Once and For All: Best Ultralight Hammock?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Once and For All: Best Ultralight Hammock?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    A
    BPL Member

@lurkinart

Locale: The Wild.

What is the BPL Consensus on the Best Hammock with Bug Protection?

I have never used a Hammock before, but doing a long Costa Rica trip and then South America, and assuming a hammock will be my best choice. Thoughts?

Lapsley Hope

@laps

Lisa Frugoli
    BPL Member

@alfresco

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You may want to ask at Hammockforums.net.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky
    Andy Schill

@aschill

This might be one of those situations where there is no "best" solution. What works best for one person might not be best for another.

The only hammock I've use is from Warbonnetoutdoors

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I agree with Andy,
    but is not this always the case?

Andy Schill

@aschill

The "best" question is usually a big no no on forums. Rather then say what is best, specify guidelines that you would need, and hopefully a product with a good match can be found.

For example:
    – Lightweight
    – Bug Protection
    – Hammock Design (feet up or level, I'm not a hammock guru)
    – Type of suspension required
    – Type of material used
    – Your weight

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I've tried the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker, and the Warbonnet Blackbird and Traveler. The Traveler has an add-on bug net; no bugs, don't bring it.

Either of the Warbonnet hammocks are more comfortable than the Hennessey. The Hennessey is supposedly lighter, but that disappears when you include the straps (HH doesn't include the weight of the straps in its literature)and get comparable tarps.

The Warbonnet Blackbird (built-in bug net) and Traveler have the same lay; the Blackbird has a "shelf" which is handy for keeping items near you but out of the way at night. The Traveler is lighter, unless you bring the bug net.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

LOL!!! Has the BPL community ever achieved a consensus of the BEST gear piece (whatever it is) for all users on all occasions?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Does the Warbonnet come with a fly, and does the listed weight on the Henessey include the regular asym fly?

The WBBB is big. I believe it fits people up to 6'4''. I'm 5'4''. That's a lot of fabric that could be trimmed. When I make a DIY hammock, it's going to be sized for me. But I do like the looks of WB hammocks and I will probably try one at some point.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Agree with the recommendation for hammockforums.net. Lots of great info there.

I've used Hennessey, Eno, Warbonnet, and several DIY's. They are all "best" in their own way.

The Warbonnet Blackbird recommended by many is the most comfortable hammock I've used, but it can be done lighter if that's your criteria. My current DIY is very similar in dimensions to the Blackbird, but weighs over 12 ounces less (includes hammock, bug net, and suspension). But I'd suggest looking closely at the Blackbird if you're looking for an off-the-shelf solution.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"LOL!!! Has the BPL community ever achieved a consensus of the BEST gear piece (whatever it is) for all users on all occasions?"

agreed Ben, but only since ive recently come to the conclusion that the best thing for backpacking is a backpack.

i like the WB traveler. the bug net is a neat addition, as a combo lighter than the BB.
    im considering the combo as a kit.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

If best is defined as flatest… Hands down the best is the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock…tip zipped bug net, spreaders, tri-glides for knot free hanging…2lb 5 0z comparable to any other double botton gathered endn hammock such as the WBBB as tested by BGT and the larger HH, lighter even than some.

Pan

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

OP was looking for best UL hammock. The BMBH is not UL. Nice try.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

neither is the blackbird…

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hennessy Hyperlite Zip, 1#10oz. Comfy, light, tiny, easy.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I thought the BB vs the traveler also included the traveler didnt have the offset foot box?

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

I will be testing my new (and first) backpacking hammock out somewhere this weekend. I have everything but my bug net (which I am making) and tarp (which is coming from MLD in another week or two). My setup is based around the Grand Trunk Nano, which without the included carabiners weighs in at about 6 oz. I would be more than happy to take some pictures of my setup this weekend and post them. I expect my final weight to be around 1 pound but there are a few caveats:

– My tarp won't be sufficient for really bad conditions. I plan on making or purchasing a second tarp for winter. A larger tarp would weigh considerably more than the one I'm using, but would provide more options for pitching, better protection, and could be easily used if I had to sleep on the ground.

– My bug net is not no-see-um proof. If this proves to be problematic, I'll make another bugnet that is. This would add a few ounces.

– I will be making or purchasing an underquilt for colder weather. I'm putting this off because the weather is warming up and I don't really know what my needs will be.

I'm kind of learning the whole hammock thing as I go but believe I've got a pretty good setup for now.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Without an underquilt make sure you have a pad of some sort – your sleeping bag will compress to nothing under you and you could easily have a miserable night with temperatures in the 50's or 60's. I've done okay with just a torso-length pad but you will need something.

I've found I don't like using a pad for insulation…I've gone with underquilts and will be having Te-Wa make me one of his Summer Breeze UQ's for my summer trips.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Seems that "Best" is rather subjective and subject to your personal preference (comfort, weight, ease of setup, etc).

UL…perhaps better to chose the hammock based on comfort first (if you can't sleep decently in it to begin with, what's the point of having the lightest). Most hammock setups can be modified to some degree (changing out the suspension, using hiking poles for bridge hammocks, smaller or lighter tarps). Even the JRB BMBH that Ken sniffed at can be modified substantially if the desire is there (change to dynaglide/whoopie suspension, use hiking poles for spreader bars, remove bug net or cut it back to a partial net, remove the pad pocket from the bottom).

I could sleep on the ground on a 1/4" CCF mat under a cuben poncho tarp with no bug protection. It would be really light. Doesn't mean I'd like it.

Just my thoughts. One setup can't please everybody…

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

Yes, like I said my system is a work in progress. If the hammock proves to be too small (the nano is a foot shorter and a foot less wide than many others), then I might make my own or try out a WBT. I can get away with very light hammock material because I am weighing in under 160 lbs.

Making your own hammock is pretty simple it seems. I might also make a "double" to share with my gf.

So, truth be told, there is no best. I will share my experiences with my setup once I get a chance to test it out.

tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

We need more detail, are you hiking? base camping? expecting tropical storms? This is backpackinglight and your going to get a lightweight bias from here even if that's not the right tool for the conditions your headed into.

Most comfortable hammock I've ever slept in is a warbonnet Blackbird. It doesn't compare to a traditional hammock. I don't like that I can't leave the bug net home when I don't need it. I don't like that I can't lay in the hammock and see the entire night sky because my view is blocked by the hammock and the bug net. I still love my blackbird. You can get hammocks that are much lighter, the grand trunk nano 7 comes to mind, at 7oz.

You won't find hammock that lays flatter than a bridge style but not everyone likes them. Definitely see if you can try one out first before committing to it.

There are other more expensive and heavier hammocks that don't get a lot of press around here or at hammock forums because of their cost and weight. Clark jungle hammocks are one.

Your probably better off looking for advise on this at a hammock forum or even better a forum for the climate your headed for. The lightest most comfortable hammock isn't going to do you any good if you don't stay dry or keep the nasty's out.

Devon Cloud

@devoncloud

Locale: Southwest

Probably a little late here, but The best ultralight hammock (as others have pointed out) could be any number of hammocks. How much do you weigh? Just about all these suggestions as the best ultralight hammock do not work for me as I am a big guy that will most likely fall to the ground in one of those hammocks… and Warbonnet's 1.7 double hammock is way heavier than the ultralight hammock bliss which just weighs 13 ounces. This of course would need a mosquito net added to it, so unless I sew my own in to make it as light as possible, for me the best would be would be a kit that could hold a big guy and has a mosquito net already sewed in.. this will run you about 28 ounces in your pack however depending on the company you go with.

For many on this site, Every gram counts against them and is their first concern when making their gear list. For me, I am a bit different. I go with the lightest gear where I am not giving up too much in comfort. I will not give up comfort for a lighter pack if the weght carried will not make me miserable at base camp. I also like easy setup.

For a big guy this gets to be very important as you get older. Going ultralight for a big guy is also exponetially harder all the way around… our gear just weighs more. Our clothes are bigger, our packs generally are bigger, our sleeping bags, pads/quilts are bigger, and we usually need more food as we burn more energy. Going with a Hammock is a good way to alleviate a lot of the aches and pains big guys get, but really you are not going to save much weight unless you are guaranteed weather that will not get colder than 65 degrees. Going hammock camping in colder weather will wash the amount of weight savings when you add the underquilt to the equasion, but you could still get creative and use clothing under your hammock and not bring an underquilt if it does not get below 40 degrees. That being said, what you do not make up in weight, you do make up for in sleep. If you are warm, hammocks sleep a thousand times better than tents do. I am even contemplating replacing my bed at home with a hammock they sleep so well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools