Topic

Sharp elbow pain from trekking poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sharp elbow pain from trekking poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

During the last few hundred miles of my PCT hike, I developed a sharp pain in my right elbow when I used my trekking poles. I had to discontinue using trekking poles for the remainder of the hike. I figured it was an overuse injury. Almost 1.5 years later, and I still get the pain when I use hiking poles. The pain starts coming on within about 5 minutes. If I push on using poles, the pain can linger for several days. The only time I get this pain is when I use trekking poles. Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions what is causing it or how to alleviate it?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

I don't think its the ulnar nerve. I don't get any numbness or tingling when I experience the pain. The pain is localized in the elbow as well.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I xc ski race and often will get some early season elbow pain with certain poling motions. I think it is a sort of tendinitis and by backing off a bit and massaging the area it's disappears quickly. I think that ignoring the pain significantly delays recovery.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

YOur pole straps need to be used in the same way they are for cross country skiing. GOOGLE "XC pole use" and see what I mean.

You should have your Entire hand coming UP through the strap loop so the strap forms an inverted V in your palm and the web of your thumb.

That way you push off "on the strap" and only have to hold the pole grip very lightly. This RELAXES your forearm muscles and tendons a lot more than constantly gripping the pole.

(Thanks for the photo Franco!)
    V
    V
    V
    V

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

pole grip

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Have you consulted a physician?

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Joshua,
    What part of your elbow hurts? Is it the dorsal aspect (outside) of elbow or the flexor (inside) aspect? Is it the back of the elbow- olecranon? Is there an area of point tenderness? Specifically, while resting your palm on a flat surface & dosiflexing (raising palm) at the wrist against resistance from the other hand, does the outside of the elbow hurt?

Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

James,
    The pain comes from the olecranon area, on the back side of my elbow. It feels like it is coming from the ulnar groove. I only feel it if I exercise my triceps in a particular way. Almost like I'm pinching something. I tried lifting my palm with resistance and didn't feel any pain.

I haven't seen a physician as I don't have insurance. It's too bad I didn't see one when I first experienced this pain. I had insurance then.

Brian Dickens

@briand

Locale: Colorado

You should see a doctor. Medical advice on the internet in a forum seems risky.

Anyway. I had similar problems. Mine was diagnosed as tennis elbow.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I went through something similar with "golfers elbow" I believe they call it–the opposite of tennis elbow; i.e. pain on the inside of the elbows. It took a long time to resolve (a year) and I was told that this was typical. What helped me was doing strengthening excersizes that targeted that area. My gym has a hand gripper that worked great for this; squeezing a ball actually hit the same area. I too nordic ski and use hiking poles; it was one or both of these activities that caught up with me by surprise.
    Two years after recovery and I've been golden; it can be done! Now if I can fix my knee…

Brian Dickens

@briand

Locale: Colorado

Elbow problems like this are really tough. Mine would get aggrivated by the simplest things. It took about 6 months to get a bit better with exercise and stretching. A Cortizone shot helped a great deal as well. Some people can never rid themselves of tennis elbow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools