Topic

Omni tape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Omni tape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Kronberg

@stitch10

I am working on designing a MYOG cuben tent. I was thinking of using omni tape for the closures. Where can I buy it and how much does it weigh? what is the lightest option for closures (like doors or vents?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I ordered some from Quest. Rockywoods and the others usually have it also. Not the lightest. I have not seen it thinner than 3/4".That would be overkill on a vent.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/narrow_roll_goods.htm#HOOK%20&%20LOOP

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I can't recall where I bought my omni tape.

It is Velcro brand, 1" wide and weighs about .4 ounces per yard.

Daryl

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

If it is too wide, trim it or cut it in half, lengthwise.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

I bought the 12ft x 3/4in package at Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46232-388-90340_0__?productId=1087893&Ntt=velcro&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dvelcro%26page%3D4

edit: what happened to hyperlink functionality on BPL?

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

JRB carries Omni Tape…. available in 146 inch lengths in the Full Length Omni Tape (FLOT) kit… find it here, http://www.jacksrbetter.com/FLOT.htm

Pan

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

We stock both 1" and 3/4" by the foot in any amount you want. Check it out in the DIY section.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

I bought a roll of omni tape here:

omni

Daryl

Joshua Kronberg

@stitch10

We stock both 1" and 3/4" by the foot in any amount you want. Check it out in the DIY section.

Where is the DYI section?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I seriously suggest you get the Quest Omni-tape, instead of the Velcro brand snag-free stuff.

The performance of the stuff quest carries is vastly superior, and it's easier to sew IMHO. FWIW I use quite a bit of this stuff, and the holding power isn't as high on the velcro branded kind. For a shelter especially, save yourself some aggravation.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Javan,

What makes the Quest hook and loop easier to sew than the Velcro brand?

Daryl

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Javan,

Is the Quest stuff lighter or thinner than Velcro brand Omni?

Thanks

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

It just doesn't seem to be as "bulletproof" when it comes to piercing it with the needle. All velcro, regardless of make model or vintage is a total PITA to sew, it's just a matter of degrees, the quest style omni-tape just seems easier to me, it's obviously made slightly differently, if you compare the two side-by-side.

I *believe* the quest stuff is lighter by size, but honestly, I haven't used the "velcro" brand stuff in so long I can't say for sure. The only problem is that the stuff from quest only comes in 1" variety, but it's real easy to cut in half.

I'll try to remember to weigh a yard of the quest omni-tape tomorrow in the shop.

Joshua Kronberg

@stitch10

I got an email back from Quest about the weight of their Omni Tape. It was a little confusing, but it seems like they said thier 1" tape is 7 grams per 36" section. I think that works out to 0.247 oz per yard. If I cut it in half as recomended above that would be about .123 per yard.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Quest has 3/8" and 1/2" hook and loop if you can use that instead of the OmniTape-like stuff. I've always used the stuff Quest sells, and I didn't realize any hook and loop fasteners were hard to sew until I read this thread.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Hi Javan,

I dug up in my bike lights collection a Cat-Eye helmet mount that appears to have the tape you mention. I've attached a photo if you can confirm. It's definitely more flexible than Velcro brand Omni Tape – something I'd prefer on a quilt. The hooks and loops are arranged in a corn row pattern and the tape is 1in wide. Sound right?

non-velcro omni tape

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools