Topic

Giardia Medicine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Giardia Medicine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yes. Crypto.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Crypto. Even its name is puzzling.

I have not heard much about its occurence on the trail, or at least not on California trails. I've heard about public water outbreaks. It must be nasty.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Per CDC:

Cryptosporidium parasites are found in every region of the United States and throughout the world. Travelers to developing countries may be at greater risk for infection because of poorer water treatment and food sanitation, but cryptosporidiosis occurs worldwide. In the United States, an estimated 300,000 cases of cryptosporidiosis occur each year.

a b

@ice-axe

I scored a Steripen classic off BPL gear just a week ago. I am taking that on the AT this year. I have Polar pure which is sublimated iodine but for the reasons mentioned I don't think my personality and style of hiking will allow me to wait that long for a dosage to work at low temperatures.
    I must admit though that at least Polar Pure has a built in termometer/dosage guide epoxied right to the bottle. I ran the numbers and the 4 mg dose of iodine per liter at perhaps 4 liters a day comes in well within the safety guidelines for continuous use. Most data suggests up to 32 mg/day is safe assuming your thyroid is healthy. It is interesting that iodine deficiency affects 1 billion people world wide but here in the west we already recieve plenty from our food stuffs each day.
    Anyhow I am carrying the Steripen along with the micro screen filter for the biggest particles the UV can't penetrate. I would rather not subject myself to any more metronidazole treatments if i can help it but I will be packing a dose of it as well since it is virtually weightless for 21 pills.
    I would rather not see myself poup out 1 gallon of liquid an hour again so i am gonna treat my water.
    I only wish I could watch the little Giardia cysts die under the UV. :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"I only wish I could watch the little Giardia cysts die under the UV. :)"

Like a bug light, zap!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ha ha,
    Actually I don't think they simply zap. Many will live on. Most will be incapable of reproduction.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools