Topic

Shelter Pictures – Stormy conditions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shelter Pictures – Stormy conditions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Wright

@abhiker

Locale: ...

It seems that a common discussion that arises around here is which shelter (tarp, mid, tunnel tent, freestanding, ect) is best in nasty weather (i.e., lots of wind and rain, or snow). I am not interested in debating which is best. I am interested in seeing your pictures or links to video of your shelter during or after that "big storm". Let's see what your got.

Jeff

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I think it's worth mentioning that some folks venture out in winter with less-than-bullet-proof shelters with the idea (and the knowledge/experience) that they'll build some sort of snow shelter to augment or simply replace their default shelter if conditions look to be bad enough.

I've been lucky enough thus far that I've not had to do much augmenting when using tarp or single-walled tent in snow, but then I haven't done a lot of it either — so I'm afraid no pictures to show by me.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Double Rainbow in the wind:

Note that the vestibule was staked down improperly. Click here. Once there, scroll down for more pics, and a link to a video download.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

If you insist. Obviously, I favour a tunnel tent … :-)

1684 Blue tent Autumn snow
    Mid-autumn, early morning post storm, Kosciusko NP
    4008 Blue tent opposite Mont Blanc
    Summer, saddle opposite Mont Blanc, morning after 'a bit of weather'. It was very windy, and wet.
    5621S2 Red tent Snowy River, When Things Go Wrong
    See "When Things Go Wrong". Morning after 1st storm, note scouring of snow around tent. Strong wind overnight. Why were we camped here? Because it was getting late and visibility was about 2 metres.
    5622S2 red tent on Snowy River after 1st night
    Same place, different view, still windy.
    5812 View from red tent above Bluff Tarn in snow
    Different trip, bad weather about to hit – no problems though.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

storm

Was shelterless a few years ago in Northern Michigan when a snow storm hit. Ended up digging a snow trench for the night.

snow cave

For the record, I do not advocate using live boughs for shelter building. I now always carry a small tarp to avoid this.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Near Hart Mountain Wildlife Refuge. Maybe 10 MPH wind:

tent

David Ure

@familyguy

@Jerry – I am surprised at the bowing of the sidepanel in only 10mph. Are there center guylines on the mid?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Jerry said "Near Hart Mountain Wildlife Refuge. Maybe 10 MPH wind"

now I have coffee to wipe off my keyboard :)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

This is the front page of the French equivalent to BPL (Le forum de la randonnée légère ou ultra-légère). They show the test of the Stephensen's Warmlite compared to the MYOG design that has become very popular among French ULers. You can see how much more wind resistant their design is.

David Ure

@familyguy

Well…no mid point guylines on the Warmlite (although they are available). Nice marketing.

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

My Kelty noah's tarp in Yosemite valley last weekend. There was over 12 inches of heavy wet snow. This is actually a 12'x12' tarp althought it's really been compressed by all the snow. I can't claim it was the best setup but it worked. I am starting to think about a real winter tent though :)
    noah's tarp 12

Here's the view from inside. You can see the trekking pole at the entrance for scale.

inside view

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte
    Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

"They show the test of the Stephensen's Warmlite compared to the MYOG design"

In fairness to Stephenson, they pitched the MYOG shelter end to the wind and the 2R broadside to the wind — hardly a fair comparison.

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

My ZPacks Hexamid after a night of ~30 mph wind with rain/snow.

David Ure

@familyguy

Snow?

(just kidding. -37C here with 5.5ft drifts)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"@Jerry – I am surprised at the bowing of the sidepanel in only 10mph. Are there center guylines on the mid?"

Maybe it was windier than that

No center guylines so it does bow in

I've measured 30 MPH with my ADC Wind meter and it still stood up fine, but it does bow in quite a bit

I suppose I should add center guylines, too lazy, plus then I'de have to carry more stakes which adds weight

Jeff Wright

@abhiker

Locale: ...

Great pictures everybody. Here are a couple pictures that I took the morning after a big thunderstorm about five years ago. The pictures do not show any action.. only proof that my first attempt at a homemade silnylon tarp stood up to the storm. (Honestly I am much better at getting a tight pitch these days :)) My wife and I hiked about 16 km into this little lake called Lake of the Falls. It is a great hike but we were a little disappointed when we arrived to find a helicopter unloading a group of people with coolers, large tents, rifles, fishing rods and a bunch of other car camping gear. Seemed like a bit of a rip off.

I remember the storm rolling in just as it was getting dark. My wife and I quickly got up and pitched the tarp lower to the ground. We were glad that we did because within 20 minutes the wind was howling, the rain was pouring and the lightning and thunder were almost simultaneous. I am pleased to say that we remained dry and warm that night. I cannot say the same for our helicopter friends. As were hiked past their campsite the next morning we found them standing outside their walmart style dome tents wringing the water out of their sleeping bags.Homemade tarphomemade tarp2

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

YouTube video

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

BA Sarvis eVent

North Rim of the GC in March 2007. Dropped 18" of snow overnight on the BA Sarvis eVent. Held up well with shaking the sides a couple times in the night.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jeff
    Just like with Real Estate "position,position,position"
    Great spot selection on your part…
    Franco

Ivo Vanmontfort
    BPL Member

@ivo

A myog duomid (about 50MPH)

Van pyreneeenjuni2010
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Whoa!

Ryan W

@mwilks

"Whoa!"

Ya, my thoughts exactly! I'm not sure what this means for my own intention of a myog duomid with newbie sewing skills.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I had seen the Duomid picture somewhere else, but didn't realise it was a MYOG version. Looks like the bigger panel is pitched into the wind and no centre tie out. When I pitched my Duomid, as a test, in similar conditions results were much the same and the centre pole was flexing alarmingly. It would have been a frightening night if I have had to be out in it. However, 50 mph is not going to be that much fun in any shelter.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

That mid appears to be in one of the worst spots around in that picture. It appears that there are some large boulders down the valley a bit that would have made great windbreaks in those conditions, in addition to getting you off the valley floor. That looks like a precarious spot in the event of a sudden rise in creek level/flash flood from rains up the valley. It's tough to judge though, the elevation between the creek and the tarp may be more than it appears in that camera angle.

Sub-optimal site selection and no center guyouts can make for precarious situations it seems.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools