Topic

How can I prevent my shirt from riding up my back when hiking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How can I prevent my shirt from riding up my back when hiking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Locale: New England

Hi. This has kind of bugged me for awhile. When hiking with my pack on, my shirt gets pulled out of the back of my pants and rides up my back.

Has anyone had this same problem?

Thanks.

Brad B

@hillbillyfromal

Wear a belt? If that ain't working then get one of those shirt stays that are like a wrap that go inside your pants. Good Luck

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Same problem here. Though not with all packs. I don't have an answer. Try tucking in your shirt?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Though not with all packs."

Therein lies the answer.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Some packs have padded mesh that has a lot of traction on some fabrics. I've seen really sticky ones that I assume were deliberately chosen to keep the hip band from sliding. I've seen heavy pilling and wear on clothing from waist belt and lumbar pads– and shoulder straps as well.

You could try using a base layer shirt with a smoother finish like the Patagonia Capilene (vs the more mesh-like fabrics).

I have more issues keeping my pants up :)

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Thanks guys. Boy and I envious of some of your background photos. I hike in NE (mainly NH and ME) so I haven't really been to places like that..

Regarding the mesh, I actually use a GoLite Speed pack and they have the mesh padding running down the left and right sides. Thanks for pointing this out.

My favorite shirt is the Patagonia Capilene so I have that part down, anyway.

Maybe I can think of a way to smooth the mesh over, as well as alternative ideas. Really, though, just can't stand it when my shirt gets all bunched up like that :)

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

What about taking a pair of braces, removing the four clips at the ends, cut the elastic so that you have two small lengths say each of a few inches, attach the buckles at each end of both lengths of elastic and clip one end to your top and the other end to your belt, pocket etc so that you have one either side. A mini brace that you can clip on and off at will.

Alternatively, attach a button / loop to your tops & pants so you can button your shirt in so to speak.

Maybe you could use velcro in a similar way or safety pins.

What about wearing two light weight shirts at the same time. Would they both ride up or would one stay on your back.

How tight is your pack againts your back? Is it moving with each step so that it drags the shirt up with each step? Could adjusting the tightness improve things.

I haven't had the problem you describe so these were just the thoughts that came to mind, so no idea if they would work in practice.

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Hi Scott,

Thanks. These are great ideas. Talk about thinking outside the box. Especially the idea about wearing 2 lightweight shirts.

I'll be considering all of the options you mentioned. I do have some sewing experience so the loop idea should be within reach.

One question, though. What did you mean about braces and clips? At the moment its not coming to me…

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Braces (Sorry I hadn't considered they might be called something different in the US) are small clips connected by a length of elastic which attach to the trousers (Pants – US) you are wearing to hold them up. They clip on to the front of your waist band, run up over your shoulder and attach to the waist band at the rear. See picture below.

Braces ClipsWearing Braces

I thought maybe you could cut them down so that they just stretched say from the bottom of a shirt to say your trouser band or side pocket. You could then clip them on and off from different pants / tops at will.

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Got it!

Here in the US they're called suspenders. I'll take a look at the different styles that are available to help generate some more ideas.

You've got me thinking a bit. Perhaps there are other examples out there that utilize this "technology". You know, like outside covers/tarps that need to be held down. I actually made custom boat covers so maybe I'll come away with an idea or two here.

The nice thing about your idea is that there's nothing between the shirt/skin or shirt/pants that would make it uncomfortable. And it is transferable, in that it could work with multiple pieces of clothing.

Thanks.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sew lace around the bottom of your shirt. Believe me, your shirt will stay tucked in, because you'll figure out what it takes to keep that lace from showing! That's what my grandmother supposedly did to my uncles' shirts to keep them tucked in, back when that was an important part of everyday fashion for schoolboys.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

I would never have thought of the word "Suspenders!" In the UK the word suspenders is used to describe something ladies wear to hold up stockings. I believe you call suspenders "Garter Belts". How the misunderstanding of language can create amusing images!

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Kathleen, that's pretty funny. I bet that trick worked.

Leave No Lace :)

Thanks again Scott for the great tips. It's something I'll be working on so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Jeff

p.s. I don't own, nor plan to own, any garter belts :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools