Topic

Big lighter made lighter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Big lighter made lighter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

If you remove the warning sticker, child safety, red push button, and metal sleeve from a full size bic lighter, you can save about 1/12th of an ounce (2.28 grams to be exact).

I did this test to satisfy my insane curiosity, and because in reality, if I can find a way to shave just 1/12th of an ounce from almost every item in my pack, that would add up real quick.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I nuked the sticker too but never tried hacking further on my mini bic.

Mini bic minus sticker: 12 grams
    Mini bic minus sticker & shield: 11 grams
    Mini bic minus sticker, shield, red button, and hook over striker: 10 grams

It took a little work with my smallest needle nose pliers to bend things back into place so it doesn't leak after removal of the hook but it seems to be 100% functional and 2 grams lighter. Not bad for free thanks!

Exploded Mini Bic with Masses of Components
    Exploded Mini Bic with Masses

EDIT: I scraped the stupid BIC logo off with a razor blade but as expected made no measurable difference on my gram scale. My milligram scale at work would be able to pick up the difference ;)

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Wow, I've been trumped! Not only did you use the smaller lighter, duh, you even went and scraped the logo. Shouldve figured that my version of hardcore is actually pretty standard around here!

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

You could even take it a step farther and try to thin out the plastic housing. Use a dremel tool or something similar and start thinning it out very slowly. You could even remove the plastic "plug" on the bottom and replace it with mylar or something is you really want to get obsessive.

Will Webster

@willweb

Butane at room temperature has a vapor pressure in excess of two atmospheres. I would think twice about weakening a pressure vessel filled with a flammable gas/liquid mix that I'm going to carry on or about my person.

Steve Cain

@hoosierdaddy

Locale: Western Washington

Agree on NOT trimming the casing! I've had a mini Bic "explode", venting out all it's contents due to excessive heat while inside my pack lid on a 104 degree day one summer! I would think that monkeying around with the thickness of the case is not a great idea unless you want to be mentioned in next year's Darwin awards.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Single Use" takes on a whole new meaning…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I had a BIC lighter explode – left in sun in summer – I kept finding little bits of plastic in my gear for days

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

How about drilling a lot of holes in the case to save weight…?

On a more serious note, if you use a gas burner, all you need is the striker mechanism from a disposable lighter. And a quick technique…

The striker mechanism can be removed intact from some lighters. If not, we're back to drilling holes in the case. Also no need to carry that huge mass of butane…

James S

@hikinnc

Sand down the plastic case until transparent, then apply 2 layers of duct tape.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

Why didn't i think of this? This is perfect. I might even try this with my tent and aircore pad to lighten those up too!

Will Webster

@willweb

Works well on cooking pots, too

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Don't forget that your heaviest piece of gear is you! Whip out that 2" forstner bit and start lightening your load.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

"Don't forget that your heaviest piece of gear is you! Whip out that 2" forstner bit and start lightening your load."
    Now, now… we really don't want to ream anybody out…

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I'll start with cutting my toe nails and work my way up!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Anyone try on a mini Bic?

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Yes, the second post in the thread is a mini bic being treated.

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Locale: New England

Growing up if we found a Bic lighter on the ground we'd throw it against the ground for the explosion effect. Definitely a lot of pressure there. Of course, this is before I learned about Leave No Trace : )

p.s. Thanks for this great tip!

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You guys are nuts.

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Locale: New England

Nuts. Really?

If you carry 1000 bic lighters this method saves you over 5 lbs!

:-)

David Schreiber

@dschreiber41

About halfway down this page is a well known but interesting fire starter: let the fuel out of the lighter, cut it in half, stuff with whatever tinder you choose, light with flint. Not the lightest, but cheap and easy.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Hahaha. As M.E. "Postcard" Hughes said of his AT hike, "Counting ounces isn't fanatical, its practical"

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools